Windows 10: Can I safely delete install.wim?

Discus and support Can I safely delete install.wim? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm cleaning out unnecessary files and folders and came across my C drive. Since I have created my own custom recovery partition, can I safely delete... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vgkfan83, Jul 29, 2018.

1. vgkfan83 Win User

Can I safely delete install.wim?

I'm cleaning out unnecessary files and folders and came across my C drive. Since I have created my own custom recovery partition, can I safely delete this install.wim that is currently setting in my C drive and using 9GB?

:)

vgkfan83, Jul 29, 2018
  2. thraxed Win User

PhysX drivers (Safe to delete?)

There a couple of games that will not work w/o physx installed, otherwise its safe to delete.

thraxed, Jul 29, 2018
  3. johnspack Win User
    Compacting a wim file?

Sorry, no idea where to put this. I just recently learned how to use dism. I use it to slipstream all hotfixes and ie10 ect into an AIO install disc. The problem is, it creates a huge install.wim after 8 index mounts and slipstreams. Considering all 8 images use the same darn wim and files, don't know why it has to increase the wim size by 1gig. Either I need to figure out how to use the same wim.install file for all indexes, or I need to compact the wim file which is now 4gbs with ie10 and all updates to April. Any way to do either?

johnspack, Jul 29, 2018
  4. exodusprime1337 Win User

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I safely delete install.wim? - Similar Threads - safely delete install

2. Can I Safely Delete These Files in the Windows Installer Cache?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I Safely Delete These Files in the Windows Installer Cache?: I just reinstalled Office 2010 and all 50 updates since Service Pack 2. Wise Disk Cleaner finds 1GB of Office 2010 related files in the Windows Installer Cache in several folders under C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00004119110000000000000000F01FEC\ Windows Disk...
  3. What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What are these partitions for and which can be safely deleted (clean install): I'm planning on doing a clean install of Windows 10 from ISO on a USB. Looking at the partitions I have now, I'm not sure exactly what all these are for and which I should/could keep/delete. [ATTACH] I know what (C:) obviously is, and Disk 1 is an external drive, so...
  4. Can I safely delete this 2nd account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can I safely delete this 2nd account: I am using a Microsoft account. There is a 2nd account displayed under Settings->Accounts. There is -no- Remove button though. I used lusrmgr.msc to display all details, which please find below. I wonder whether it is safe to delete 'users' there. Please find below:...
  5. Can I Delete This Partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can I Delete This Partition: I'm planning to tidy up the partitions on my desktop PC UEFI system disk. See the disk map below from Partition Wizard. I want to delete the old unused 300GB recovery partition at the start of the drive, move the FAT32 system partition to the start of the drive and extend the...
  6. Can I delete $Windows.~BT after installing?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I delete $Windows.~BT after installing?: This folder and $Windows.~WS are both part of the Windows 10 upgrade from what I've been told. Now that I've finished the installation, these two folders are still on my C: drive, eating up 11.5GB of space between them. Is it safe to get rid of them after the installation is...
  7. Safe To Delete?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Safe To Delete?: The root directory of my C drive contains stuff that seems like garbage to me. 1. $SysReset: Contains an empty Logs folder. Haven't done any kind of reset/refresh--don't even know what that means. 2. Driver_allOS: Contains a folder called Audio. This contains lots of...
  8. Can I delete Win 10 and install 7?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I delete Win 10 and install 7?: Hopefully I am asking this in the correct area. So, my laptop came with Windows 10 installed. Then the creators update happened... System ran like pure garbage, had to do 2 factory resets to get it back to how it was running brand new. What I would like to know is...
  9. Can i Delete this Folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can i Delete this Folders?: Can i Delete Folder $Windows.~BT and $Windows.~WS on C: Drive? 9888
  10. Can $Windows.~WS Be Safely Deleted?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can $Windows.~WS Be Safely Deleted?: Does $Windows.~WS need to be left in place for anything, e.g. 'Reset this PC', or can it be safely deleted? Thanks. 9407