Windows 10: Can I safely format a ramsomware infected laptop hard drive?

Discus and support Can I safely format a ramsomware infected laptop hard drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Calling all Windows 10 security gurus. I am seeking help with the vulnerabilities -- if any -- I might encounter by doing the following: A. Remove... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdmike1974, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Can I safely format a ramsomware infected laptop hard drive?

Calling all Windows 10 security gurus.

I am seeking help with the vulnerabilities -- if any -- I might encounter by doing the following:

A. Remove the hard drive from a neighbor's laptop infected with ransomware.

B. Then connect it to my Dell desktop with a USB to SATA cable.

C. Finally, reformat it so I can reinstall Windows 10 and then put back in my neighbor's laptop .

BTW, I have done this before with a non-infected laptop hard drive. So there should be no issues there. Also, as a cautionary step I will disconnect my desktop computer from all outside Internet and home network connections which I won't need simply to format a hard drive connected to a USB port.

But I am concerned whether I will infect my desktop computer simply by connecting it to an infected hard drive via a USB connection.

Your thoughts?

Preferably from someone who has actually done this -- as opposed to speculation. But any port in a storm as the old saying goes. Can I safely format a ramsomware infected laptop hard drive? :)

:)

sdmike1974, Sep 4, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

clean possibly infected flash drives and CD-RWs

Your steps in post #1 should work for 99% of viruses that may be on a usb flash drive. However, there are a very few viruses that can infect the MBR of a drive. I would use Diskpart from a command prompt (Admin) to clean them. In the command prompt type DISKPART then, at the Diskpart prompt use the commands:

LIST DISKnote the disk number of the usb and use it in place of # in the command:SELECT DISK #
    CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

After this you will have cleaned the partition table from the usb and created a partition using the whole of the the available space. You can then format this partition in File Explorer.

For a CD-RW, if you right-click on it in File Explorer there is an Erase option.

Bree, Sep 4, 2019
  3. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Sep 4, 2019
  4. Fernandz Win User

Can I safely format a ramsomware infected laptop hard drive?

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Sep 4, 2019
Thema:

Can I safely format a ramsomware infected laptop hard drive?

1. Can I safely format a ramsomware infected laptop hard drive? - Similar Threads - safely format ramsomware

2. Formatting hard drives partitions on a dual hard drive laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting hard drives partitions on a dual hard drive laptop: I recently got a used laptop from a friend of mine. The laptop was running Windows 11 but after attempting to reset the computer, it would no longer boot Windows. I then created a flash drive with Windows 11 and attempted to reinstall Windows 11 but received a message stating...
  3. Formatting hard drives partitions on a dual hard drive laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Formatting hard drives partitions on a dual hard drive laptop: I recently got a used laptop from a friend of mine. The laptop was running Windows 11 but after attempting to reset the computer, it would no longer boot Windows. I then created a flash drive with Windows 11 and attempted to reinstall Windows 11 but received a message stating...
  4. Formatting hard drives partitions on a dual hard drive laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What is a safe way to format an infected USB drive?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is a safe way to format an infected USB drive?: - Should I format an infected USB drive and a clean USB drive from an infected PC? - Should I format an infected USB drive from a clean PC? Thank you It is Windows 10 version 20H2 181077
  6. What is a safe way to format an infected USB drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is a safe way to format an infected USB drive?: - Should I format an infected USB drive and a clean USB drive from an infected PC? - Should I format an infected USB drive from a clean PC? Thank you It is Windows 10 version 20H2 181077
  7. Can I safely format this drive? (details in comments)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I safely format this drive? (details in comments): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SpinalSnowCat [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hd85wk/can_i_safely_format_this_drive_details_in_comments/
  8. Formating a hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating a hard drive.: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  9. Formating Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formating Hard Drives: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  10. Format hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Format hard drive: I cannot do updates because I am out of disk space but I cannot figure out how to free up disk space. I've deleted all unneeded program files and want to just reformat the hard drive. The option to reformat is grayed out, however. Sometimes the laptop will give me a gray...