Windows 10: Can I search in File Explorer for only hidden files or system files or both?

Discus and support Can I search in File Explorer for only hidden files or system files or both? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is there a way to do an advanced search with File Explorer for only system files or for only hidden files or only files that are both hidden and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Antonio M Salazar, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Can I search in File Explorer for only hidden files or system files or both?

Is there a way to do an advanced search with File Explorer for only system files or for only hidden files or only files that are both hidden and system?

Any help much appreciated

:)

Antonio M Salazar, Apr 17, 2021
  2. Polarman Win User

Anyone knows what these files are?

Those are Super Hidden Files which as the name implies files which are hidden from the user even more than normal hidden files.

Even if you enable the ability to view hidden files and folders in Explorer these super hidden files/folders will still not be displayed.

Polarman, Apr 17, 2021
  3. Forceflow Win User
    Searching hidden files/folders

This is what I do:
    • In explorer, browse to C:/Username
    • Start a search there containing a folder name I know is in C:/Username/Appdata/Local
    • The folder does not appear in search

Hidden files and folders are marked to be visible everywhere.
    It seems like recursive search doesn't descend into hidden files/folders, because when I browse to Appdata and search there, I find it.

Any way to change this behaviorr?

Forceflow, Apr 17, 2021
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Can I search in File Explorer for only hidden files or system files or both?

Protecting files on a USB stick?

Even if you restrict access to read only, they can still copy the program. Read access is all copy needs.

My suggestion for simplicity is to create a small file on the drive and mark it hidden as well as marking it a system file, so even if they turn hidden files on the file won't show up. Put this file in a separate folder that is also marked as system, name the folder something random and windows important sounding. So even if they do find it, they won't know what it is and should ignore it. Then make the main program check for the file on execution and exit if the file isn't on the flash drive.

This should fool 90% of people unless they are pretty computer literate.

newtekie1, Apr 17, 2021
Thema:

Can I search in File Explorer for only hidden files or system files or both?

1. Can I search in File Explorer for only hidden files or system files or both? - Similar Threads - search File Explorer

2. Only search for hidden files in Windows 11 File Explorer search bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only search for hidden files in Windows 11 File Explorer search bar: Hello,I want to search my entire PC for any hidden files that I may need to transfer from my old computer mainly due to how Minecraft Java Edition saves in AppData; which is hidden. Is it possible to only search for hidden files in the search bar? I have tried...
  3. Only search for hidden files in Windows 11 File Explorer search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only search for hidden files in Windows 11 File Explorer search bar: Hello,I want to search my entire PC for any hidden files that I may need to transfer from my old computer mainly due to how Minecraft Java Edition saves in AppData; which is hidden. Is it possible to only search for hidden files in the search bar? I have tried...
  4. System Hidden Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Hidden Files: I have a folder which has a subfolder but no files.When accessed the folder using GetFiles statement, the array contained 2 files.When checked their names, I found their names started with "~". Even though my folder view option says "Display Hidden Items" these files were not...
  5. System Hidden Files

System Hidden Files: I have a folder which has a subfolder but no files.When accessed the folder using GetFiles statement, the array contained 2 files.When checked their names, I found their names started with "~". Even though my folder view option says "Display Hidden Items" these files were not...
  6. file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files

file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files: I searched for a single a. I got 900,000 alphabetized results, but nothing after k. I searched for goka and got 12 results, but nothing after m. Search troubleshooter did not fix it. What should I do?...
  7. File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search of file names only in indexed locations: I have many similar files created from templates. They are in an indexed location. When I search in File Explorer they ALL appear in the search results due to their content. Sometimes I want to search through just the file names, not the content, in an indexed location....
  8. Search for hidden files/folders only

in Cortana
    Search for hidden files/folders only: In file explorer, is there a way to only show hidden folders/files? Or search and find only hidden files/folders in say the Documents folder. I don't need to know how to turn on show hidden files option. I know about that. I want to find ONLY hidden files/folders so I can...
  9. Windows Search: Search for ONLY hidden files

in Cortana
    Windows Search: Search for ONLY hidden files: I have a lot of files in a folder, some of them hidden. I want to search for only the hidden files, like the guy in this post. The answer was not for ONLY hidden files. Of course I know I must enable "Show hidden files". Windows Search is quite powerful, so it can search...
  10. search for hidden files & folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    search for hidden files & folders: I have studied the "Advanced Query Syntax" document at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965711(v=vs.85).aspx but I cannot find an answer to this question: How do I SEARCH FOR (not just show) folders and files whose properties include as an attribute that the...