Windows 10: Can I select a file this way?

Discus and support Can I select a file this way? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I have a file's full path and name on the clipboard, how can I use the Run box (or any other way) to get it quickly selected (highlighted) in File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

Can I select a file this way?

If I have a file's full path and name on the clipboard, how can I use the Run box (or any other way) to get it quickly selected (highlighted) in File Explorer please?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Dec 6, 2017
  2. MWCates Win User

How can I select a single photo from a collection and save to my desktop?

Hi, Jesinta--

Thanks for your reply. I should have been clearer about what I want to do.

The MS collections of personalization photos/images contain more than one image each. I want to know how to select one of those MS personalization images, not an image from my folders.

It used to be that you could click on a MS personalization set, which would then show at the bottom of the screen. When you clicked there, you were taken to another screen where the photos were set out with check boxes. You could put a check mark into one
    of those boxes, thus selecting one photo from the collection. That process no longer seems to work.

Thanks,

Marian

MWCates, Dec 6, 2017
  3. How can I select a single photo from a collection and save to my desktop?

Hi Marian,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Click on the link below and refer the suggestions by Andre Da Costa.

How to personalize your lock screen in Windows 10

How to personalize your lock screen in Windows 10

To change a picture as your desktop photo, follow the steps.

1. Right-click on the blank Desktop and select Personalize.

2. Click on Background and under background dropdown menu select
    Picture.

3. Now, click on Browse and select a picture from the Browse Windows.

4. Click on Choose Picture.

5. Close settings

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Dec 6, 2017
  4. Can I select a file this way?

Hi Terrypin.

Open File manager and past in bar at top of window, not search bar, the one just left.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Dec 6, 2017
  5. Terrypin Win User
    That would open it, not select it.

Terrypin, Dec 6, 2017
  6. My error. Should have read requirement closer. Sorry.

Caledon Ken, Dec 6, 2017
  7. In Run box
    explorer.exe /select,c:\users\documents\test.txt

So you would open run box, type explorer.exe /select,Crtl-V(paste)

Caledon Ken, Dec 6, 2017
  8. EdTittel Win User

Nice find, CK! A handy way to open explorer with the target file selected. Just did that right now for bootmgr (because it's at the root of the C: drive and easy to specify):

Can I select a file this way? [​IMG]

Thanks for sharing this. Very helpful.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 6, 2017
  9. Thanks. Wish I had read OP's original posting a little more carefully.

Caledon Ken, Dec 6, 2017
  10. Terrypin Win User
    Many thanks Ken. In fact I had the same reply in the batch files newsgroup to which I posted the almost identical question:

Grant Taylor [removed] wrote:

>On 12/07/2017 07:26 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> If I have a file's full path and name on the clipboard, can I use a
    >> batch file (or the Run box, or any other clever way) to get it selected
    >> (highlighted) in its Win 10 File Explorer folder please?
    >
    >I have no idea if it's still the case, but explorer.exe used to have
    >have a /select option that would open explorer and select the specified
    >file.
    >
    >So, you could open the run dialog, type explorer /select,<Paste> and
    >possibly achieve what you want.

For background, the filename itelf is in a hyperlink in Excel. I'm currently seeking help in the Excel forum on doing the whole task (from getting the link onto the clipboard, to selecting the file) in a VBA macro. I've forgotten what little VBA I ever knew a decade or so ago so this VBA approach is after my Macro Express script consistently failed at the hyperlink copying stage.

I too echo Ed's enthusiasm for this handy Run tip!

Terrypin, Dec 7, 2017
  11. Barman58 Win User
    Also ...

Winkey +R
    and then Ctrl-V then Enter will open the file with the name and path on the clipboard - all without touching the mouse

This works because the file extension is associated with an Application, so should also work for excel sheet or file name *Wink

Barman58, Dec 7, 2017
  12. Good luck. If I knew VBA I would try to assist. Take care.

Caledon Ken, Dec 7, 2017
  13. Terrypin Win User

That opens the file rather than selects it.

Terrypin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I select a file this way? - Similar Threads - select file

2. What happens if I select delete files from all drives when resetting a Windows 11 PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happens if I select delete files from all drives when resetting a Windows 11 PC?: What happens if I select delete files from all drives when resetting a Windows 11 PC? Does it only delete every files and everything to look like new device, or is there something wrong with doing it?...
  3. What happens if I select delete files from all drives when resetting a Windows 11 PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What happens if I select delete files from all drives when resetting a Windows 11 PC?: What happens if I select delete files from all drives when resetting a Windows 11 PC? Does it only delete every files and everything to look like new device, or is there something wrong with doing it?...
  4. Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.: When I drag an item to the recycle bin, I am asked I selected the option if I want it permanently deleted. I checked the properties of the bin and for the local disk, I selected 'Custom size' instead of 'Don't move files to Recycle bin. Remove file immediately when deleted'...
  5. Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.

Recycle bin permanently deleting files even if option not selected.: When I drag an item to the recycle bin, I am asked I selected the option if I want it permanently deleted. I checked the properties of the bin and for the local disk, I selected 'Custom size' instead of 'Don't move files to Recycle bin. Remove file immediately when deleted'...
  6. Sorting deselects previously selected files, unfortunately

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting deselects previously selected files, unfortunately: Once upon a time in File Explorer, I could sort a folder by file type e.g., *.HEIC, quickly select all files of that type, then resort the folder by name or date, and the selected files would remain selected in the new sort order. This enabled me to delete superfluous,...
  7. Sorting deselects previously selected files, unfortunately

Sorting deselects previously selected files, unfortunately: Once upon a time in File Explorer, I could sort a folder by file type e.g., *.HEIC, quickly select all files of that type, then resort the folder by name or date, and the selected files would remain selected in the new sort order. This enabled me to delete superfluous,...
  8. Membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file: Saya tidak sengaja mensetting default open file exe saya ke adobe acrobat aplikasi saya semua berubah icon menjadi adobe acrobat,saya menghapus adobe acrobat saya dan file exe dilaptop saya saat membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file...
  9. Membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file

Membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file: Saya tidak sengaja mensetting default open file exe saya ke adobe acrobat aplikasi saya semua berubah icon menjadi adobe acrobat,saya menghapus adobe acrobat saya dan file exe dilaptop saya saat membuka file/apk .exe muncul select an app to open this .exe file...
  10. Automatic selection of previous files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic selection of previous files: If I select a anything,pc itself selecting the previous files also and opening it with a new tab.And shift ,control ,tab and windows button is not giving any response.but keyboard is fine...and can't refresh in desktop....