Windows 10: Can I separate the Windows Desktops from the separate Monitors?

Discus and support Can I separate the Windows Desktops from the separate Monitors? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have my device extended to a external display. I can create additional desktops to separate and manage my open applications and switch between them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by iwaddo, Jul 14, 2020.

1. iwaddo Win User

Can I separate the Windows Desktops from the separate Monitors?

I have my device extended to a external display.

I can create additional desktops to separate and manage my open applications and switch between them Windows-TAB

But what I cannot do is switch to a different Desktop on my external display without it also switching the Desktop on my device.

It seems that when I switch from Desktop 2 to Desktop 3 it switches on both screens and to be honest I find this a little pointless unless I am misunderstanding why I'd want separate Desktops.

Any help or guidance appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

:)

iwaddo, Jul 14, 2020

2. Skype 8: separate windows?

I have recently upgraded to Skype 8.25 (Windows 7 desktop). Now every chat is displayed in the same window, replacing the contact list. How can I have the contact list in a separate window and each chat in separate windows, as it was previously?

sergey.bederov, Jul 14, 2020
  3. CookieMEC Win User
    Separate Desktops

My family and I use the same computer with a Windows 10 operating system. We have separate accounts. I see my other family members icons on my desktop, and they see mine on theirs. We want our desktops separate... I don't want to see my daughter's gaming
    icons on my desktop when I'm logged into my account (She feels the same about seeing my stuff on her desktop too). How do I make this happen?

CookieMEC, Jul 14, 2020
  4. Can I separate the Windows Desktops from the separate Monitors?

Separate Desktops

Does anyone know if it is possible to have multiple Windows desktops open and have them be completely separate from one another, such as, if I were to create a second desktop (using the button the the right of the search box) and delete an icon, say, and
    it not delete that same icon on the other. Is this already a setting that I just haven't found or does this not exist? If not, Microsoft, if you're reading this, please could you add such a feature?

JamesSimpsonSM, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

Can I separate the Windows Desktops from the separate Monitors?

1. Can I separate the Windows Desktops from the separate Monitors? - Similar Threads - separate Desktops separate

2. How can I have a separate workspace/desktop for my laptop and main monitor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I have a separate workspace/desktop for my laptop and main monitor?: I use my laptop as a second monitor and I have a primary monitor. I was wondering how I can make a separate desktop/workspace for my laptop monitor, but also have it not change my main monitor's primary desktop/workspace.Thanksask me any questions if I worded it weird...
  3. How can I have a separate workspace/desktop for my laptop and main monitor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I have a separate workspace/desktop for my laptop and main monitor?: I use my laptop as a second monitor and I have a primary monitor. I was wondering how I can make a separate desktop/workspace for my laptop monitor, but also have it not change my main monitor's primary desktop/workspace.Thanksask me any questions if I worded it weird...
  4. Separate wallpapers for virtual desktops?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Separate wallpapers for virtual desktops?: I know there's a way to set up different wallpapers for multiple physical monitors, but I was wondering if there was a way to do that with virtual ones, too. I've tried going to the specific desktop and changing it, but it ends up applying to all of them anyway. I have a...
  5. Dual monitor separate wallpapers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual monitor separate wallpapers: I am trying to get different wallpapers on both of my monitors however when i right click the images in settings 3 options come up, one saying set for all monitors, and the other two say set for monitor 2, there is no set for monitor 1 option in the list....
  6. Real 2 separate desktops

Real 2 separate desktops: This has been asked before and threads closed without a positive answer. I would love to have two real different virtual desktops. 1 for working with files, folders and shortcuts related to working 2 for gaming with files, folders and shortcuts related to gaming 3 for...
  7. Can't separate monitor from laptop screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't separate monitor from laptop screen: I have a monitor plugged into my laptop. I want to see the screen on the monitor, but not on the laptop, when they are connected. This was never a problem previously, but suddenly both screens are now "lit" and I can't find the setting to separate them. When I go to...
  8. Separate screens per monitor

Separate screens per monitor: I have installed a second monitor successfully and Windows 10 has detected it. I want to run a different screen / programme on each screen. But when I click on the second screen, it opens a screen on my laptop instead of my external monitor. Please advise....
  9. OneDrive - backup *separate* desktops?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive - backup *separate* desktops?: OneDrive has added a great feature - backing up my desktop items to the cloud. Only problem - I use two different copies of Windows - one at work and one at home. I *want* to keep separate copies of each desktop, but OD wants to mash 'em together in the cloud! Any...
  10. What profile for separate monitor?

What profile for separate monitor?: Added HP 25f monitor for my laptop. What profile should I use for my default in Color Management? The laptop or the new monitor? Also in the advanced tab, what profile should I use? This is on Win 10. Thank You...