Windows 10: Can I show the C drive at the root of the explorer tree

Discus and support Can I show the C drive at the root of the explorer tree in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am in File Explorer regularly, and having to access the C drive through the My PC folder is a nuisance. My external drives ( D and E) show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Roy_296, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Roy_296 Win User

Can I show the C drive at the root of the explorer tree

Hello,

I am in File Explorer regularly, and having to access the C drive through the My PC folder is a nuisance. My external drives ( D and E) show up at the top level of the tree, I'd really like the same for my C drive. For greater clarity, please see attached screenshot.

If someone has a registry tweak or is aware of another solution, I'd love to hear from you. Windows 10 Pro Build 1803.

Thanks!

Can I show the C drive at the root of the explorer tree dfbce9b4-37bf-43de-906e-022a985dde9a?upload=true.png

:)

Roy_296, Jan 16, 2019
  2. gypsycomp Win User

showing the total of folders/files in drive root

Properties are shown differently for folders and roots.
    Root properties only shows used and free space.
    Folder properties shows Size, Size on Disk, number of files/folders.
    Questions:
    1 - How can I discover on the root drive the total of folders and files on drive?
    2 - Better, how could I list the number of files within each folder?
    3 - Even better, how could I list the total of subfolders and files at each level within the tree branches?

gypsycomp, Jan 16, 2019
  3. c drive shows only as c:\windows

I cannot get to the root directory of my C drive. All other drives are fine. When I open explorer or this computer, it shows the C drive as c:\windows, and I can only open the Windows folder. How do I get it so I can get to C:\ in explorer or This
    computer. Somehow Win 10 thinks the C drive is the \Windows folder. This just started happening.

TerryBiresch, Jan 16, 2019
  4. Can I show the C drive at the root of the explorer tree

My C:\files at drive root

My C: drive is showing 202gb used out of 207gb. 145gb of this is C: \ files at drive root. Can I reduce this. A lot of this seems to be pagefile.sys. and swapfile.sys.

Stewart UJ, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

Can I show the C drive at the root of the explorer tree

1. Can I show the C drive at the root of the explorer tree - Similar Threads - show drive root

2. C: drive does not show up in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C: drive does not show up in Windows Explorer: BIG EDIT: Apparently, my I: drive doesn't show up either... drives C:, D: and I: are partitions of one of an SSD, the other are partitions of another hard disk. I'm now guessing that D: drive is the problem.. I've just installed the Windows 10 17127 Insider Preview from the...
  3. C: drive does not show up in Windows Explorer sidebar (left)

in Windows 10 Support
    C: drive does not show up in Windows Explorer sidebar (left): I've just installed the Windows 10 17127 Insider Preview from the offline ISO and for some reason my C: drive (on which Windows is installed) does not show up in the Windows Explorer sidebar (on the left). Sadly, it doesn't even appear in 'Browse' dialogs in other programs....
  4. Explorer pane shows desktop as root, instead of "this PC"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer pane shows desktop as root, instead of "this PC": Beneath the quick access list in navigator, all I have is 'desktop'. Everything else is under that. But all the pics I've seen of windows 10 show 'this PC' as the top level link. I would much prefer that. "desktop' ends up being twice in the tree, and removable media twice as...
  5. Still Cannot Access Root Drive ( C:\ )

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Still Cannot Access Root Drive ( C:\ ): I need to copy a file into my Windows 10 root drive (C:\). I cannot and get Error 0x80070522. - Found a tool which I really don't want to use since it is for folders and sub-folders. - Turned off User Account Control setting is set to the lowest. - I don't have HomeUsers...
  6. Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?: This is a bit of an odd one. I use a program that calls up data from a text file. This means I have many copies of the same file scattered in various project folders which is messy for a variety of reasons, not least having dozens of the same file exist. Placing the...
  7. Can't save to c: root

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save to c: root: Get error message when I try to save a document or picture on c:\ 'A required privilege is not held by client.' Is there a way to fix this? Thank you. 14643
  8. Can I install with very small C drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I install with very small C drive?: I have an old PC I use for testing things. I want to install Win10 on it before installing it anywhere else. But this PC has an 80GB SSD C drive. Currently it has only 12GB free. I can free up maybe 6 or 7 more GB by removing a bunch of USER temp data (if I'm brave enough),...
  9. showing the total of folders/files in drive root

in Windows 10 Support
    showing the total of folders/files in drive root: Properties are shown differently for folders and roots. Root properties only shows used and free space. Folder properties shows Size, Size on Disk, number of files/folders. Questions: 1 - How can I discover on the root drive the total of folders and files on drive? 2...
  10. $xxx Folders in Root of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    $xxx Folders in Root of C:: I was under the impression that these folders would go away or can be deleted, BUT !! Has been some time from 1511 build was installed. C:\ $Windows -W " - BT C:\ $sysreset Still have .log and .xml from 12/26/2015 in them ( not the date of the last Windows Update) I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer to root drive C$: