Windows 10: Can I somehow password protect Local Group Policy?

Discus and support Can I somehow password protect Local Group Policy? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So here's my issue. I want to block some programs from ever running on the computer. I do that either by using applocker or Software Restriction... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GoodTimesAhead, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Can I somehow password protect Local Group Policy?

So here's my issue. I want to block some programs from ever running on the computer. I do that either by using applocker or Software Restriction policies blocking the name of the executables and their digital signature which works great.

The problem is I don't want to make a standard user account for the other users (whom I'm trying to prevent from using these programs) since we use a lot of programs that share settings which would make it incredibly inconvenient. Also I want the other users to be able to install programs freely without the administrator's permission.

So my question is is there a way to lock someone out of local group policy or playing with the registry without making a new account?

:)

GoodTimesAhead, Dec 13, 2016
  2. Martmcd Win User

Local group administrator password

is 'local group administrator' a user you or someone else has created? (if so Frederik has given you the answer)

or are you confusing it with the administrators group on the local computer which contains all users with administrative permissions?

the group does not have a password, the users do. when asked for local group administrator password, you can use any user from that group.

if you log on as an administrator you can change/reset the password of other local users.

if you have forgotten the password for a Microsoft account you can reset it
    here

Martmcd, Dec 13, 2016
  3. NETWORK ISSUE.

Hi Sridhar,

There are cases wherein if a password is set for a guest account, the toggle button for password protected sharing automatically switches on. You may perform these steps on how to turn it off:

• Type in mmc.exe in Coratana and press
      Enter
    • Click File.
    • Select and click Add/Remove Snap-in.
    • Select and click Local Users and Groups.
    • Click Add>.
    • Click Finish.
    • Click OK. Once done, Local Users and Groups (Local) will appear under
      Name.
    • Double click Local Users and Groups (Local).
    • Double click Users folder.
    • Right click Guest.
    • Select Set Password.
    • Click Proceed.
    • Make sure password is blank and click OK.
    • Restart your computer.

Once done, this will allow you to turn off password protected sharing.

Hope to hear your feedback about the steps provided.

Darwin Dim, Dec 13, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

Can I somehow password protect Local Group Policy?

Have you thought about the default user?

If you set-up the default user profile with all the applications and you set them up you can then create standard users for each user and their accounts will be set-up as a copy of the daufult user profile including the apps and settings, you can then further control the security using local group policy, other than this you really need a server to handle security (which I know is not always a financially viable option.

Default User Profile - Customize in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Tutorials

You can also set up your own user and then make that the default user, although that is a little more complex

Customize the Default User Profile by Using CopyProfile

Barman58, Dec 13, 2016
  5. Thank you for the reply.
    I will give the default user a try and see how that goes.

GoodTimesAhead, Dec 14, 2016
  6. Is there a way to give standard users a little more leeway? I'm testing how standard users account work and every program I try to run is asking me for admin's password? Also tried to turn UAC off but I don't think it's possible as it's grayed out.

GoodTimesAhead, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can I somehow password protect Local Group Policy?

1. Can I somehow password protect Local Group Policy? - Similar Threads - somehow password protect

2. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working: Hi,I tried to prompt the user to input his new password after a period of time. For testing purpose, i set one day on the Maximum password age. However, the requiring input of password was not activated. after one day, the user was still not requested for submitting his new...
  3. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working: Hi,I tried to prompt the user to input his new password after a period of time. For testing purpose, i set one day on the Maximum password age. However, the requiring input of password was not activated. after one day, the user was still not requested for submitting his new...
  4. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Local Group Policy - PAC File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local Group Policy - PAC File: Hello,Is there a place in the local group policy where I can specify a PAC file that applies to the computer for any user?Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policy-pac-file/ff3827e7-44ca-4d5b-a537-70751622272d
  6. Local Group Policy - PAC File

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local Group Policy - PAC File: Hello,Is there a place in the local group policy where I can specify a PAC file that applies to the computer for any user?Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policy-pac-file/ff3827e7-44ca-4d5b-a537-70751622272d
  7. Local group policies

Local group policies: Hello, I have issue with windows 10 home basic. There is no options for Administrative Templates inLocal Group Policies. Please resolve this issue...[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policies/bdbb2977-adf0-4aed-a08d-4dd5601fffac
  8. local group policy

local group policy: I have windows 10 home edition 1903 and I need to edited the local group policy but I can't seem to find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-group-policy/c696e164-1135-4b8b-b687-38f4b18d1f6f
  9. Backup and Restore Local Group Policies

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Local Group Policies: Is there a way to backup and restore all local and group policies entered in Windows 10? Is there a way to share local and group policy settings in Windows 10? I searched for Powershell scripts that can be used to change local and group policies but could not find any...
  10. applying local group policy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    applying local group policy: Hi ive no experience applying group policy settings. What I'm hoping for is that I can have certain registry configurations applied cross all users. If I downloaded a registry.pol configuration, how do I apply this actually? So I've copied the file to...