Windows 10: Can I split an existing Windows 10 install into boot/data drives?

Discus and support Can I split an existing Windows 10 install into boot/data drives? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I have Windows 10 Professional on my laptop and my current setup is a 500GB HDD that is C and a 250GB SSD that is D. I replaced the CD drive on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dEhiN83, Dec 3, 2020.

1. dEhiN83 Win User

Can I split an existing Windows 10 install into boot/data drives?

Hi all, I have Windows 10 Professional on my laptop and my current setup is a 500GB HDD that is C and a 250GB SSD that is D. I replaced the CD drive on the laptop with a hard drive bay and that's where my SSD is stored. I also currently, for space reasons, have a few user folders such as Documents and Downloads on my D drive with several directory junctions in place.

I recently bought a 1TB SSD on Cyber Monday, and my plan is to migrate my Win 10 installation to it. Basically, I'm going to undo the directory junctions - remove them, then restore the original Documents, Downloads, etc. to the C drive - and then set up the 1TB drive in the hard drive bay. Next, I'm going to do a disk copy from the 500GB to the 1TB. Lastly, I'll remove the 500GB and install the 1TB in the main laptop HD slot.

However, that basically leaves me with an empty 250GB SSD just sitting around. I was wondering if, after doing the disk copy or perhaps during the disk copy, it would be possible to somehow split my existing Win 10 install to use the 250GB as the boot drive and the 1TB as the data drive, including user folders, etc. I could easily put the 250GB in the main laptop HD slot and the 1TB in the bay. Also, if this is possible, should I perhaps do it before I copy things over? Or, rather, instead of doing a disk copy from the 500GB to the 1TB, should I do some sort of split-disk copy?

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

dEhiN83, Dec 3, 2020
  2. cadaveca Win User

Installing windows from usb hard drive

You can install Windows on seperate partitions from an existing Windows install. The difference with doing it from the desktop is that you'll be able to select which OS you'd like to boot to, without entering bios at all...it will give you a list of each OS, and 30 seconds to choose(the time waiting before it automatically boots the first one on the list can be adjusted as well).

There was a time when I was running XP, Vista, and Win7, all off of the same drive, with each OS on it's own partition.

cadaveca, Dec 3, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Dec 3, 2020
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Delta6326, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Can I split an existing Windows 10 install into boot/data drives? - Similar Threads - split existing install

2. Split existing Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Split existing Microsoft account.: At one time my son and I shared a family windows. He is logging into my account but with a different passcode. To be clear he sees my name and enters passcode1 I see my name and enter pascode2 but we both see the same icons/files on the desktop. I dont use his icons and he...
  3. Split existing Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Split existing Microsoft account.: At one time my son and I shared a family windows. He is logging into my account but with a different passcode. To be clear he sees my name and enters passcode1 I see my name and enter pascode2 but we both see the same icons/files on the desktop. I dont use his icons and he...
  4. Dual booting windows with existing installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting windows with existing installation: Hi all, For various (annoying) reasons, I would like to dual boot two windows installations on my laptop. Currently, Windows 10 Enterprise is installed. Would it be possible to create a new partition from which I could boot a new installation of windows 10 for education? I...
  5. Boot drive and Data Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot drive and Data Drive: So recently I've reinstalled windows 10 onto my new SSD and leaving my old HDD as a data drive. My problem is when I try to download and install new programs such as valorant or obs it goes to my SSD instead of the HDD. I've tried changing the directory path when installing...
  6. BitLocker encrypted drive- Split and dual boot?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BitLocker encrypted drive- Split and dual boot?: Hi All, I have a laptop running Win10 with BitLocker enabled with a 1TB SSD. Is there a way to split the SSD and dual boot another instance of Win10 without messing the initial Win10 partition? From what I've heard, this may mess up the bootloader that is on the first...
  7. Boot drive overlain on data drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot drive overlain on data drive: Just wanted to ask if anyone had seen anything like this. I have a whitebox HTPC that I built about 6 years ago. Aside from Win and other software updates, this hasn't changed over that time and has been operating just fine. Macrium Reflect is used to image (full &...
  8. Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.

Dual boot XP on an existing Windows 10 installation.: I have a Toshiba Satellite S875-S7136 laptop. I already have Win10 x64 installed on the disk's primary main partition and the remaining half of the disk is unallocated space. In the BIOS, I set the bios to look for the DVD drive before loading the hard disk. I first tried...
  9. How to install windows 10 from a split hard drive?

How to install windows 10 from a split hard drive?: I have a PC with 1tb hard drive. Currently am running windows 7 from it. I want to update to windows 10. I have tried windows media creation tool but it failed giving me some error. Is there anyway to install windows 10 from an iso by splitting my hard drive and making it...
  10. Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs): I have 2 Windows 10 (7 Upgrades) Installed, ...I would like to set them up, so I can Dual Boot them, without re-installing them. 24215