Windows 10: Can i still use the win7 upgrade from my laptop to Win10 key on a new laptop.

Discus and support Can i still use the win7 upgrade from my laptop to Win10 key on a new laptop. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi I had a laptop where I upgraded to the new version of Win10 from win 7 the laptop died, now I have access to a new laptop but don't have any of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MorrisLa, Feb 13, 2021.

1. MorrisLa Win User

Can i still use the win7 upgrade from my laptop to Win10 key on a new laptop.

Hi

I had a laptop where I upgraded to the new version of Win10 from win 7

the laptop died, now I have access to a new laptop but don't have any of the keys from the upgrade, etc.

Any suggestions I can use where I have a win7 key a new laptop that I can install win 10 but don't have the upgraded key for Win10?

TIA

:)

MorrisLa, Feb 13, 2021
  2. arli582 Win User

Win7 to Win10 Upgrade & HDD/SDD Replacement (Upgrade)

Dear Forum,

Please find below my query. Any advice would be gratefully received - thanks in advance.

Context:

C1) I have a laptop (ref: laptop A) with a pre-installed version of Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit.

C2) I seemingly have the product key for the Win 7 licence - it is shown on a sticker on the base of laptop A.

C3) I also own a retail version of Win10, which is currently installed on another laptop (ref: laptop B).

C4) I can seemingly update laptop A to Win10 using the 'Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant'

C5) I have a new SSD that I would like to use in laptop A to improve it's performance.

Aim: To install a new SSD in laptop A and install Win10 using the
    pre-installed
    Win7 licence.

Questions:

1) What is the best way to achieve the aim?

2) Can I simply use my Win10 retail installation pack and the new SSD with laptop A, but enter the Win7 licence key at the appropriate point?

- UPDATE: I tried this, and the Win7 licence key was NOT accepted on the Win10 installation.

3) Do I need to perform the Win7 to Win10 update using the 'Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant', and then attempt to upgrade the HDD to the new SDD? If so, how do I do this to preserve the Win10 update?

This is perhaps a simple/trivial matter, but prior to taking steps it would be good to know the most appropriate route.

Thank you.

arli582, Feb 13, 2021
  3. Torrmic Win User
    win10 restore from win7 laptop upgrade

Restoring win10 laptop that was originally win7pro, then upgraded to 10. Question is my restore win10 or win7 ?

Torrmic, Feb 13, 2021
  4. Torrmic Win User

win10 restore from win7 laptop upgrade

I'm knowledgeable regarding restores, my main issue is if a laptop/pc initially has win 7 and then upgraded to win 10. years after the upgrade if a restore is needed is that restore win7 or win10

Torrmic, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Can i still use the win7 upgrade from my laptop to Win10 key on a new laptop. - Similar Threads - still win7 upgrade

2. Can i use my laptop WIN10 key for my new PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can i use my laptop WIN10 key for my new PC?: Hello, so i am buying a new pc, right now i have a laptop from Acer, can i use the same windows 10 key for my pc as for my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-my-laptop-win10-key-for-my-new-pc/1d674b82-1680-4bc6-adba-f631c75b5e87
  3. Can i use my laptop WIN10 key for my new PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i use my laptop WIN10 key for my new PC?: Hello, so i am buying a new pc, right now i have a laptop from Acer, can i use the same windows 10 key for my pc as for my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-my-laptop-win10-key-for-my-new-pc/1d674b82-1680-4bc6-adba-f631c75b5e87
  4. Can i use my laptop WIN10 key for my new PC?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  6. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  7. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?: I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-old-not-in-use-laptop-with-win7-product/7176e101-a954-4b38-9d24-5c7a87b1d08d
  8. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 - on a dual-boot laptop: This is probably an unfair question to ask in this forum. But given the depth of expertise, someone might have advice to offer! I have recently done successful clean installs and activations of Win 10 with the help of Shawn Brink's tutorials and advice from other forum...
  9. Can I use old Win7 key to get Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use old Win7 key to get Win10 on new PC?: Back in 2016 I bought Windows 7 Professional. I still have the product key. I used this on my PC at the time to install Windows 7. I then used the free upgrade to move to Windows 10 (Edition: Windows 10 RTM Professional Retail). I'm building a new computer in January and...
  10. Can i still upgrade WIN7 to WIN10 for free?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can i still upgrade WIN7 to WIN10 for free?: Can i still upgrade WIN7 to WIN10 for free? submitted by /u/MintonCRO [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gyv4rq/can_i_still_upgrade_win7_to_win10_for_free/