Windows 10: Can I stop Windows from waking up my computers? AC Power Download task cannot be changed.

Discus and support Can I stop Windows from waking up my computers? AC Power Download task cannot be changed. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have two pc's that keep waking up when I don't want them to. I have them set to "Hibernate" when pressing the power switch because I like to continue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Muskiet, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Muskiet Win User

Can I stop Windows from waking up my computers? AC Power Download task cannot be changed.

I have two pc's that keep waking up when I don't want them to.
    I have them set to "Hibernate" when pressing the power switch because I like to continue working projects as soon as the pc is running again, I'm not sure if this has anything to do however with me not being able to keep my pc's turned off.
    So I checked the Task Scheduler and found the "AC Power Download" task, which runs Windows Update having "Wake the computer to run this task" switched on, but when I go into its properties (I started the scheduler as administrator) and un-check the wake-up function and press "OK" I get a "Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it." message.
    After pressing OK the scheduler simply continues and nothing has changed.

Please help me keep Windows from turning my computers on so I don't have to unplug them every time I don't want them to run for several days when I'm not around.
    I'd like to be the one who decides when they're on or off.

:)

Muskiet, Jun 19, 2019
  2. Muskiet Win User

Can I stop Windows from waking up my computers? AC Power Download task cannot be changed.

I have two pc's that keep waking up when I don't want them to.

I have them set to "Hibernate" when pressing the power switch because I like to continue working projects as soon as the pc is running again, I'm not sure if this has anything to do however with me not being able to keep my pc's turned off.

So I checked the Task Scheduler and found the "AC Power Download" task, which runs Windows Update having "Wake the computer to run this task" switched on, but when I go into its properties (I started the scheduler as administrator) and un-check the wake-up
    function and press "OK" I get a "Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it." message.

After pressing OK the scheduler simply continues and nothing has changed.

Please help me keep Windows from turning my computers on so I don't have to unplug them every time I don't want them to run for several days when I'm not around.

I'd like to be the one who decides when they're on or off.

Muskiet, Jun 26, 2019
  3. Wake up from sleep with Microsoft AC Adapter

Hi Andy,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern to restart the laptop from sleep mode when connected to AC power adapter.

Please be informed us if you are facing any problem with while waking the computer from sleep mode.

I suggest you to update the drivers for AC power adapter from
    Device Manager and check if it helps.

Steps :

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand AC Power Adapter.
    • Right on the W and click on Update driver software.

If the drivers are updated, you will not have the option to Update Driver Software.

Step 2: If that does not fix the issue, please reinstall the display adapter drivers.

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate and expand Display adapter.

• Right-click on the Display adapter
      that is listed and click “Uninstall”.

Restart the computer and download, install the latest drivers from the NVIDIA website.

Download Drivers | NVIDIA

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 26, 2019
  4. pcunite Win User

How to wake a computer out of Sleep mode when AC power is restored?

I found a solution.

The four steps below will cause the PC to enter sleep mode when the UPS switches to battery. When AC power is restored, the PC will resume from Sleep. Also, should the PC's power get cut (while in Sleep mode), when power is restored, the BIOS setting ensures
    it will power back on.

Step 1:

Make sure your BIOS is set to always turn the system on, should the power ever get cut. Look for "Restore Power After AC loss", or similarly named setting, and set this to On.

Step 2:

Configure the Windows power option to put the computer to sleep after X minutes. Set
    Control Panel / Power Options / Put the computer to sleep: 5 minutes.

Step 3:

Change the advanced power options to also put the computer to sleep for Critical and Low battery states.

Step 4:

Under Device Manger, right click on HID UPS Battery and then under the
    Power Management
    tab check Allow this device to wake the computer.

pcunite, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Can I stop Windows from waking up my computers? AC Power Download task cannot be changed. - Similar Threads - stop waking computers

2. wake up computer when is power off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wake up computer when is power off: Hello.I have schedule a task so my computer every day is wake up after hibernation.My computer was to shut down from yesterday and it didn't wake up.The schedule is at 7:35 pm and usually the computer wake up at 7:40.This is not happens tofay.Should wait 1-2 minutes more or...
  3. wake up computer when is power off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wake up computer when is power off: Hello.I have schedule a task so my computer every day is wake up after hibernation.My computer was to shut down from yesterday and it didn't wake up.The schedule is at 7:35 pm and usually the computer wake up at 7:40.This is not happens tofay.Should wait 1-2 minutes more or...
  4. How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up?: How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-my-computer-from-randomly-waking-up/ed1921f1-0430-45b2-9366-011c2209b378
  5. How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up?: How do I stop my computer from randomly waking up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-my-computer-from-randomly-waking-up/ed1921f1-0430-45b2-9366-011c2209b378
  6. How to stop computer from waking up due to error?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to stop computer from waking up due to error?: How do you to stop a Windows 10 computer from waking up due to error? My Surface Pro 5th Gen gets error "Surface Tcon Driver TP Read fails, Status = 0xc0000186" about every 15 minutes, and each time it wakes up, trying to find my face via infrared camera for face unlock, and...
  7. How do I stop a windows task from waking my computer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I stop a windows task from waking my computer?: Hi, so I don't always leave my computer in sleep mode during the night, but sometimes I do when I intend to continue what I was doing the next day. The problem is that at midnight my computer wakes up, and when I check event viewer I find that a task called "Universal...
  8. Can windows 10 wake up from HDMI device powering on?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can windows 10 wake up from HDMI device powering on?: Just looking for a way to wake up my pc when my A/V recurved switches to the PC (Connected via HDMI). submitted by /u/StrokeMyAxe [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dxuusu/can_windows_10_wake_up_from_hdmi_device_powering/
  9. Windows update stops AC power from working.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update stops AC power from working.: Lately, everytime windows runs an update and shuts down my laptop, it won't turn back on unless I unplug the charger. It gets stuck in this loop when its plugged in... I hear it try to turn on make a click then turn off. I have to unplug it to boot it up properly on battery...
  10. Why laptop hibernates again after wake up on AC power

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why laptop hibernates again after wake up on AC power: It's very annoying and I am not sure is this because of 1903 update or my laptop grew old. Right after resume from hibernation, Windows 10 decides to hibernate again. Machine is connected to AC. Symptom: in the event log: kernel-power, event 524 "Critical Battery Trigger...