Windows 10: Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ?

Discus and support Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have 2 PCI-E slots, I was thinking of moving my USB 3 card to where my SATA card is, swap them about in the case. The reason being I am purely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BlizzardUK, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ?

So I have 2 PCI-E slots, I was thinking of moving my USB 3 card to where my SATA card is, swap them about in the case. The reason being I am purely guessing that the priority of "option ROM" in bios is due to PCI slot number. I have a budget motherboard and I can't disable or enable Option ROMs per PCI slot, only blanket the entire lot. So I am thinking if I put my SATA card on the lowest PCI-E slot my RAID card (which is above it) will load first on boot up, giving me the configuration screen back (which has been taken away by the SATA card, which just shows info and doesn't even give me a config like the RAID card does). At the moment a USB 3 card is in the only available lower PCI-E slot, so I would need to swap that. Can I do that without worrying about drivers being re-loaded or added and other issues ? The less mess the better. Thanks !

Windows 10 Ver 19.09

:)

BlizzardUK, Feb 11, 2021

2. PCI-E x8 in x16 Slot

From what I have read, it seems that one can use a PCI-E x8 card in a x16 slot. Im looking to install a PCI-E SAS card in my desktop. Nearly all of the ones Ive seen so far seem to use a x8 interface but my desktop has only 2 x16 slots, 1 x4 slot and 2 x1 slots. Before I pull the trigger and get this card, I want to be sure that you can use the smaller card in the larger slot. Everything Ive seen so far seems to suggest it will work without an issue.

ArazelEternal, Feb 11, 2021
  3. Olafchief Win User
    Asus AC68 PCI-E Wireless adapter not working after Windows update (Code 38)

As the title suggests, after the most recent Windows update (brought my version of Windows to 1803), my Asus AC68 PCI-E Wireless adapter ceased to function. According to Device Manager, it was a "code 38" error (Windows cannot load the device driver
    for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory.)

Multiple searches have suggested that this is because of an issue with AMD processors, but this is not my situation as I have a Intel based processor.

I have attempted the following troubleshooting steps (without success)

• Uninstall and reinstall the driver
    • Use to "PCI lock" function in msconfig
    • Restore my computer to a previous state
    • Delete the Asus software
    • Change PCI port of my card

The only step I could take that did work was to restore a previous version of Windows (it brought me back to version 1709). So, for the moment my card works again, but my PC wants to update again, and I feel like this whole process will begin again if I
    do so. For the record, I have already been in touch with Asus support, and they have been less than helpful (some of the steps taken above were at their suggestion). Thank you in advance for any advice.

Olafchief, Feb 11, 2021
  4. Basith M Win User

Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ?

PCI Slot/GPU driver issues?

Hi Eric,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10 family.

This might have caused due to driver related issues. I suggest you to try installing the PCI and Graphics card drivers in compatibility mode and check if the issue persists.

Refer to the following Windows 8.1 article to install the drivers compatibility mode. The steps for Windows 8/8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

Make older apps or programs compatible with Windows 10

Please feel free to visit our website for any help with Windows Operating System.

Basith M, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ?

1. Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ? - Similar Threads - swap PCI cards

2. Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ?: So I have 2 PCI-E slots, I was thinking of moving my USB 3 card to where my SATA card is, swap them about in the case. The reason being I am purely guessing that the priority of "option ROM" in bios is due to PCI slot number. I have a budget motherboard and I can't disable or...
  3. Pci e

Pci e: Can a PCIE card be installed into a PCI connector ? 158885
  4. Pci e

in Windows 10 Support
    Pci e: Can a PCIE card be installed into a PCI connector ? 158885
  5. PCI E card not recognized

PCI E card not recognized: Hello I installed a 2 port PCI Express1 3 94 a Firewire card on my Windows 10 - 64 bits computer The manufacturer (StarTech) representative told me it would work without problem Unfortunately, it dose not and the card is not even recognized Did I forget something (BIOS...
  6. PCI E card not recognized

in Windows 10 Support
    PCI E card not recognized: Hello I installed a 2 port PCI Express1 3 94 a Firewire card on my Windows 10 - 64 bits computer The manufacturer (StarTech) representative told me it would work without problem Unfortunately, it dose not and the card is not even recognized Did I forget something (BIOS...
  7. PCI WiFi card issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PCI WiFi card issues: Device Name: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 Product Name: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Windows Version: x64 Windows 10 Home Ver.1903(OS Build 18362.449) So, my issue started occurring after installing some optional windows updates. The updates were; 2019-10 Cumulative Update for...
  8. PCI WiFi card issues

PCI WiFi card issues: Device Name: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 Product Name: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Windows Version: x64 Windows 10 Home Ver.1903(OS Build 18362.449) So, my issue started occurring after installing some optional windows updates. The updates were; 2019-10 Cumulative Update for...
  9. PCI-e power for graphic card

PCI-e power for graphic card: Hi .. just bought a new card, Gigabyte GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 3G. I noticed something funny .. if I plug the PCI-e power to my PSU, the fan stops running but computer boots up fine. But if I unplug the PCI-e power, the fan starts running when computer boots up and there is...
  10. Will a PCI-E x8 2.0 card work in a PCI-E x16 1.1 slot?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Will a PCI-E x8 2.0 card work in a PCI-E x16 1.1 slot?: I just ordered a new video card, the Gigabyte GeForce GT 710 LP, but then I saw on the gigabyte website that it's PCI-E x8 2.0. That will work on a PCI-E x16 1.1 slot, right? Video card: GIGABYTE - Graphics Card - NVIDIA - PCI Express Solution - GeForce(R) 700 Series -...