Windows 10: Can I swap my system drives over without issue?

Discus and support Can I swap my system drives over without issue? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My computer is dead and is going to take a while to get fixed. My partner took her pc home from work because of covid but hasn’t had to use it really.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kurtanglesmilk, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Can I swap my system drives over without issue?

My computer is dead and is going to take a while to get fixed. My partner took her pc home from work because of covid but hasn’t had to use it really. I want to use it while I wait for mine but can’t be installing things on it etc.

If I were to swap out the C drive for another, install Windows fresh and use it for a while, would I be able to put the original drive back in when I’m done and start up no problem, or is there a link between the motherboard and system drive that would stop it from working?

submitted by /u/kurtanglesmilk
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kurtanglesmilk, Jun 30, 2020

2. how can i swap my windows 7 32bit with windows 8 32 bit but without DVD Drive

how can i swap my windows 7 32bit with windows 8 32 bit but without DVD Drive?

sattarazim, Jun 30, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Can I swap my system drives over without issue?

Need help swapping my mobo

I never had to do anything beside install the hard drive in the system and turn the system on when I was swapping out a hard drive between multiple system. But I have heard of people having problems when they tried doing it. I suggest either doing the reformat, or at the very least, be prepared to do a reformat.

BarbaricSoul, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Can I swap my system drives over without issue?

1. Can I swap my system drives over without issue? - Similar Threads - swap system drives

2. Can I use an external drive to swap internal memory drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use an external drive to swap internal memory drives?: I have two internal drives, both 1 TB each. I purchased a 2 TB internal drive that I want to install, but I don't have enough space on the current drives to push everything to one drive, remove the other one, and install the 2 TB one. Can I use an external drive to transfer a...
  3. How can I swap my SSD without losing my data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I swap my SSD without losing my data?: I have a pc windows 11 with a 1tb HDD and 250gb M.2 SSD. I have just bought a new 1tb M.2 SSD and want to replace the old 250gb one, but my OS is installed on the old SSD and my pc only has 1 M.2 SSD slot. The HDD has only personal files and has 220gb free. There is 199gb of...
  4. How can I swap my SSD without losing my data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I swap my SSD without losing my data?: I have a pc windows 11 with a 1tb HDD and 250gb M.2 SSD. I have just bought a new 1tb M.2 SSD and want to replace the old 250gb one, but my OS is installed on the old SSD and my pc only has 1 M.2 SSD slot. The HDD has only personal files and has 220gb free. There is 199gb of...
  5. Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?: Hi. I have 2 identical if old Dell Zino 400 computers, one kept as a spare/back up; both run Windows 10.The one I normally use has been upgraded with SSD, CPU upgrade and more memory, and has all my programs inc MS Office on it. Unfortunately the motherboard appears to have...
  6. Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?: Hi. I have 2 identical if old Dell Zino 400 computers, one kept as a spare/back up; both run Windows 10.The one I normally use has been upgraded with SSD, CPU upgrade and more memory, and has all my programs inc MS Office on it. Unfortunately the motherboard appears to have...
  7. Motherboard failure - can I swap the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ?: So I have 2 PCI-E slots, I was thinking of moving my USB 3 card to where my SATA card is, swap them about in the case. The reason being I am purely guessing that the priority of "option ROM" in bios is due to PCI slot number. I have a budget motherboard and I can't disable or...
  9. Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I swap 2 PCI-E cards without there being any driver issues ?: So I have 2 PCI-E slots, I was thinking of moving my USB 3 card to where my SATA card is, swap them about in the case. The reason being I am purely guessing that the priority of "option ROM" in bios is due to PCI slot number. I have a budget motherboard and I can't disable or...
  10. Can I swap hard drives between laptops without damaging my existing W10 installation?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I swap hard drives between laptops without damaging my existing W10 installation?: So my laptop (HP Notebook 15-r210ne, runs Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring) has pretty much gone kaput. A GPU problem has rendered video output of any kind near useless. With that in mind, I'm planning on sourcing another laptop (either an Acer or a Dell, both of which come with...