Windows 10: Can I swap my system drives over without issue?

Discus and support Can I swap my system drives over without issue? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My computer is dead and is going to take a while to get fixed. My partner took her pc home from work because of covid but hasn’t had to use it really.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kurtanglesmilk, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:42 PM.

1. Can I swap my system drives over without issue?

My computer is dead and is going to take a while to get fixed. My partner took her pc home from work because of covid but hasn’t had to use it really. I want to use it while I wait for mine but can’t be installing things on it etc.

If I were to swap out the C drive for another, install Windows fresh and use it for a while, would I be able to put the original drive back in when I’m done and start up no problem, or is there a link between the motherboard and system drive that would stop it from working?

submitted by /u/kurtanglesmilk
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kurtanglesmilk, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:42 PM

2. how can i swap my windows 7 32bit with windows 8 32 bit but without DVD Drive

how can i swap my windows 7 32bit with windows 8 32 bit but without DVD Drive?

3. topgundcp Win User
    Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

4. Can I swap my system drives over without issue?

Need help swapping my mobo

I never had to do anything beside install the hard drive in the system and turn the system on when I was swapping out a hard drive between multiple system. But I have heard of people having problems when they tried doing it. I suggest either doing the reformat, or at the very least, be prepared to do a reformat.

BarbaricSoul, Jun 30, 2020 at 2:18 PM
Thema:

Can I swap my system drives over without issue?

1. Can I swap my system drives over without issue? - Similar Threads - swap system drives

2. Can I swap hard drives between laptops without damaging my existing W10 installation?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I swap hard drives between laptops without damaging my existing W10 installation?: So my laptop (HP Notebook 15-r210ne, runs Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring) has pretty much gone kaput. A GPU problem has rendered video output of any kind near useless. With that in mind, I'm planning on sourcing another laptop (either an Acer or a Dell, both of which come with...
  3. how can I reinstall my system without losing my windows license?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how can I reinstall my system without losing my windows license?: I'm thinking about buying a SSD to have a faster machine but I don't know how can I reinstall the system without losing my license. Can anyone help me? submitted by /u/brownieinutil [link] [comments]...
  4. hard drive swap

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive swap: I have a new computer, and have that computer all setup. Can I take the old hard drive from the old computer and put it into the new computer (I dont need help on the mechanics). It is currently formatted for 2 logical drive. The current c: drive, I would reformat and use...
  5. Swapping hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping hard drives: How do I go about backing up windows to clone on a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/swapping-hard-drives/fac9a444-4f53-480d-aebc-2c98f61997fa
  6. Can I recover files without an Operating System?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I recover files without an Operating System?: My PC won't boot so I decided to reinstall Windows on it. I inserted a bootable USB and botted on to it. I started installing Windows on my computer and then I realized that all data on my disk will be lost. So I aborted the installation. I opened the CMD via the USB and...
  7. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I have recently purachsed a new laptop. A dell Inspiron 5570 and it came with a 1TB Hard Disk Drive. I also purchased a solid state drive with the plan to swap rhem out. I cant seem to figure out how to migrate the OS and files from the HDD to the SSD. I cannot boot...
  8. Swapping hard drives.

Swapping hard drives.: I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 5570 with Windows 10 and a 1 lTB HDD. I also purchased A solid state drive seperately to replace the HDD. as it is a new drive i cannot boot from it. i have been unsuccessful in using my recovery drive on it or figuring out how to...
  9. how can I reformat my operating system drive

how can I reformat my operating system drive: How can I reformat my operating system drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-can-i-reformat-my-operating-system-drive/c143a95e-b4d6-492b-a085-ba82f5ef972b
  10. Swapping Hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping Hard drives: Good Morning etc, okay I have a PC at home which has an external sata plugin for hard drives, last night I went to check a hard drive and plugged in the wrong one. The one I plugged was for another PC and had Windows 10 mounted in German my PC has English and is Windows 10 I...