Windows 10: Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64?

Discus and support Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been wanting to switch to x64 to take advantage of the extra RAM I have. I figured an OS upgrade will be a good time to do that. So do I need... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CountryBumkin, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64?

I've been wanting to switch to x64 to take advantage of the extra RAM I have. I figured an OS upgrade will be a good time to do that.

So do I need to install Win8 x64 now to get the Win10 x64 download/upgrade?

It would easier to just do a clean install of Win10 x64 when the time comes. How will this work (how do I get my hands on Win10 x64)?

:)

CountryBumkin, Jun 1, 2015

2. How can I upgrade to win10 from win8?

Pre-requisite Task

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.
    See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

then

then

• Disable
      (preferrably uninstall)
      your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
    • Restart a few times then try again.
    • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader).
    • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumdrive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver
      for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
    • Perform a
      clean boot
      , restart then try again.
    • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
    • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
    • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
    • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.
    • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).

Andre Da Costa, Jun 1, 2015
  3. How can I upgrade to win10 from win8?

How can I upgrade to win10 from win8?

SantoshKhadka, Jun 1, 2015
  4. Boozad Win User

Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64?

If you're upgrading an OS then 32-bit to 64-bit doesn't work.

Boozad, Jun 1, 2015
  5. rmonroe36 Win User
    If you are no rush, wait for the 64 bit ISO. Otherwise do a clean install of Win8-64 bit.

Rich

rmonroe36, Jun 1, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    As the other responders alluded to and those of us that have been around "awhile" understand, changing from 32-bit OS to a 64-bit or from 64-bit to 32-bit requires a clean install, so be sure to back up anything you created, that exists nowhere else before making the change.

Berton, Jun 1, 2015
  7. ramram55 Win User
    CountryBumkin,
    how much extra ram you are adding ?

ramram55, Jun 1, 2015
  8. Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64?

OP didn't say they were adding; only said they had extra RAM. If you look at their system specs, you will see that they already have 16 (probably GB, although they say MB).

Mark Phelps, Jun 1, 2015
  9. I know I can't go from x32 to x64 without a doing a clean install. I'm just wondering if I need to do that now (Win8 x32 to Win8 x64) before the Win10 upgrade comes.

However if I can get the ISO Win10 x64 I'll just wait and do the clean install just one time. I have the WIN8 disks (and install codes). I'm pretty sure the Win8 program came with both a x32 and x64 disk when I bought it.

I have 4GB installed now and I have extra RAM (another 4 GB) from a disassembled machine (both DDR3 (same specs but different brands).

Thanks.

10. BTW - my specs are for my HTPC Server machine. I have two other HTPC (clients) that I want to upgrade to x64.

11. Charlie Win User
    If your pc will work with 64 then yes you can.

Charlie, Jun 1, 2015
  12. So upgrade (clean install) to Win 8 x64 now - or get Win10 x64 (somehow) and then do clean install?

If I do the Win8 x64 now, Win10 will auto-download/install Win10 x64.
    But if I wait too long and then Win10 x32 downloads on my Win8 machine, am I screwed?

13. Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64?

The free Win10 is an upgrade
    Sooooo, bump your Win8 system to x64 before

You might want to get fresh Win8 install media
    See OPTION ONE: Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

Slartybart, Jun 1, 2015
  14. Charlie Win User
    Well my belief is that it will be as it is now. You can go to a MS website and type in your key and get a download for your os that goes with the key. That system is already in place. So why would it not work that way for this 10 rollout. Give your key get an ISO do what you like if you know how . Upgrade inplace or clean install very simple? *Biggrin

Charlie, Jun 1, 2015
  15. I didn't know that. So I should be able to use my Win8 x64 key to get a download of Win10 x64 (once Win10 is ready).
    Thanks.

Thema:

Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64?

1. Can I switch from Win8 x32 to Win10 x64? - Similar Threads - switch Win8 x32

2. reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64: When I purchased an old desktop years ago, it had win7 pro x32. When I went thorough the update, I then got win10 x32. There's no reason that I know of that this machine couldn't be running the x64 version. And given it's old, I would prefer that so I can recognize more...
  3. reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64: When I purchased an old desktop years ago, it had win7 pro x32. When I went thorough the update, I then got win10 x32. There's no reason that I know of that this machine couldn't be running the x64 version. And given it's old, I would prefer that so I can recognize more...
  4. reinstalling Win10 x32 to x64

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8: Hi,I have a ASUS ROG laptop which is old but still working.It had Windows 8 as initial OS, then I upgraded it to Windows 10 with Microsoft free upgrade promotion.Yesterday I want to reset it. And it took whole night and stuck somewhere.Now I try to reinstall a windows 10.But...
  6. How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8

How can I restore a Win10 laptop which is upgraded from Win8: Hi,I have a ASUS ROG laptop which is old but still working.It had Windows 8 as initial OS, then I upgraded it to Windows 10 with Microsoft free upgrade promotion.Yesterday I want to reset it. And it took whole night and stuck somewhere.Now I try to reinstall a windows 10.But...
  7. Win7 Enterprise x32 to win10 x64

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 Enterprise x32 to win10 x64: Hey guys. I was given a PC from a storage room. Got it starting and It runs windows 7 enterprise 32 bit. Since this OS is outdated, I want to install windows 10 x64 bit. The problem I'm having here is: windowsmediatool does not support Enterprise version. I want a clean...
  8. Conversion of x64 to x32

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Conversion of x64 to x32: My system works slow on 64bit computer as the ram is 1.25GB so I want to convert it into 32bit.... Is there any option how I can convert x64 to x32 without using any CD or DVD Plzz help......
  9. Shortcuts confusion - x64/x32

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts confusion - x64/x32: I'd like to create a few shortcuts for a dock I'll be trying out on Windows 10 64-bit for: Notepad Task Manager On my old 32-bit Windows 7 PC, it was simple - just create a shortcut to the exe in the system32 folder. But with 64-bit, I have a system32 and a syswow64...
  10. Windows10 upgrade from x32 to x64

Windows10 upgrade from x32 to x64: Dear *, I have a question regarding an upgrade from windows10 x32 to x64 So I have Acer One 10 with Windows 10 Home x32 installed (German), and the windows is activated with digital license and linked to my hotmail account. Now i downloaded the windows media creation...