Windows 10: Can I switch my sata cable from my dvd to a hard drive?

Discus and support Can I switch my sata cable from my dvd to a hard drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My computer has 2nd bay for a hard drive, but only two sata connections on the MB, and one goes to a dvd drive. *Rolleyes I rarely ever use the dvd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CannonRebel, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Can I switch my sata cable from my dvd to a hard drive?

My computer has 2nd bay for a hard drive, but only two sata connections on the MB, and one goes to a dvd drive. *Rolleyes I rarely ever use the dvd drive and would rather put another hard drive in for storage and backup.

Would the computer automatically see and utilize the 2nd hard drive, or is it not that simple, and could I damage the MB?

:)

CannonRebel, Jan 17, 2018

2. cd dvd player is not shown in device manager

Thank you, but I fixed it myself....None of the advice that has been posted about this did not help...I removed the SATA cable of the hard drive from SATA port 1 and put the CD DVD SATA cable there,then I put the hard drive SATA cable in SATA 2--------I
    just reversed the two SATA cables. Has been working great..

halfbreedYX, Jan 17, 2018
  3. CD/DVD Drive not working after upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1

I have

performed all of the above, nothing work, switch dvd/cd-rom as as well as sata cable still not working.

Lionel Poirier, Jan 17, 2018
  4. Winuser Win User

Can I switch my sata cable from my dvd to a hard drive?

Yes you can use the cable from your DVD drive for a HDD.

Winuser, Jan 17, 2018
  5. Berton Win User
    Berton, Jan 17, 2018
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The article you linked to states that the color of the SATA cable means nothing. "Technically speaking, there is no difference and doesn't matter what color they are. The functionality remains the same for all of them."

This article confirms that a SATA cable is a SATA cable is a SATA cable:
    SATA 3Gb/s vs. 6Gb/s Cable Performance (Revisited)
    "Our results confirm that despite the faster hardware available today, there is still no performance difference between SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s cables."

NavyLCDR, Jan 17, 2018
  7. Wow, that was easy, nothing shorted out, I didn't even have to do a complete reinstall. *Smile

CannonRebel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can I switch my sata cable from my dvd to a hard drive?

1. Can I switch my sata cable from my dvd to a hard drive? - Similar Threads - switch sata cable

2. I can't WRITE into my hard drive, and also to my SATA SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't WRITE into my hard drive, and also to my SATA SSD: Image:https://imgur.com/a/AjrSZtoI was not able to write any in my files. it always say that it is WRITE PROTECTED. I even tried the DISKPART method. I can't set to full control in that drive in advance sharing option. and also I even formatted a countless times my drive. The...
  3. I can't WRITE into my hard drive, and also to my SATA SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't WRITE into my hard drive, and also to my SATA SSD: Image:https://imgur.com/a/AjrSZtoI was not able to write any in my files. it always say that it is WRITE PROTECTED. I even tried the DISKPART method. I can't set to full control in that drive in advance sharing option. and also I even formatted a countless times my drive. The...
  4. I can't WRITE into my hard drive, and also to my SATA SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SATA hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  6. SATA hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SATA hard drive: Hi, my WD Blue M.2 NVME SSD, where I store most of my data on my computer, has a blue question mark over it. It does not appear in hidden devices in device manager, and does not show up in disk management. It is not recognized anywhere except where it has the blue question...
  7. Can't activate my license after switching external hard drive to internal SATA

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate my license after switching external hard drive to internal SATA: Hi. I recently switched the hard drive containing my Windows OS Windows 10 Home from an external setup connected via USB to an internal setup with the drive connected via SATA cables.I got the machine to boot up like normal, but now Windows is telling me that I can't activate...
  8. I have two hard drives in my computer, can I switch which hard drive windows is on?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have two hard drives in my computer, can I switch which hard drive windows is on?: I have two hard drive in my computer, a 250 gb and a 1tb. Windows is currently on my 250gb hard drive but I want to move it over to the 1tb, is this possible?...
  9. Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I recover data from my old IDE/SATA hard drives?: I have multiple hard drives from old computers that I am trying to recover data from. I have a USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE adapter. But, when I plug it in to my Windows 10 desktop and turn it on, the file explorer stops responding? It seems to freeze the whole desktop? How do I get...
  10. SATA cables

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SATA cables: I just got my new SSD and i dont have a spare SATA cable. I dont live near a best buy or tech shop and ordering online would be a last resort. Im wondering if it is ok to borrow the SATA that connects my cd drive to my motherboard....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. could i take my disk drive out and plug a sata cable in that for an external drive