Windows 10: Can I take an ssd out of my laptop and use it in a desktop to run Windows?

Discus and support Can I take an ssd out of my laptop and use it in a desktop to run Windows? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a compatible ssd in my laptop that has windows on it, but can I take it out and install it in a desktop with no problems? Or will it not let me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BlankBlank134, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Can I take an ssd out of my laptop and use it in a desktop to run Windows?

I have a compatible ssd in my laptop that has windows on it, but can I take it out and install it in a desktop with no problems? Or will it not let me because it's a companies tech. By the way if it's helpful the manufacturer is Acer and it's an Aspire 5 514-54

:)

BlankBlank134, Jun 20, 2021
  2. suraswami Win User

Laptop or Desktop for Music production?

So what I suggested is better then - Desktop.

Now for the drives, gaming or any fast drive access machine I generally put in a fast 160 or 320 GB drive for OS and add couple of 500 GB drives in Raid 0 for speed. With the cheap drive prices I will suggest that route. Also will suggest him a SSD.

Sound card - suggest me a good one.

suraswami, Jun 20, 2021
  3. GMasterLe Win User
    Booted desktop SATA SSD with laptop M.2 SSD now the desktop SSD won't work (both have windows 10 installed)

A little backstory, both SSD's have windows 10 on them with different license of course.

I wanted to read the laptop SSD as a regular drive so I can export files from, into my new desktop. I placed the laptop ssd into the desktop while it was running, but there was nothing to be found in disk management, so i rebooted.

After rebooting, i unexpectedly found that it booted into my laptop's windows with it's SSD as C: , instead of my desktop's.

I then copied the files i needed from my laptop's ssd into a third formatted ssd and proceeded to attempt to reboot into my desktop's windows with the original SATA ssd.

Now my original windows on the SATA ssd wont boot and is stuck on automatic repair loop, while booting from my laptop's m.2 windows and SSD works perfectly fine.

I need to boot from my original SATA ssd because I wont be needing my m.2 laptop SSD.

I have an ASROCK B450M/ac motherboard

(You might suspect that windows dual boot have replaced the boot files of the first drive, and now it depends on the second drive to boot, but even with the second drive in, the windows on the first drive still wont boot. I can still access all the data
    in my SATA SSD through my m.2 ssd's windows).

GMasterLe, Jun 20, 2021
  4. jdz7t8 Win User

Can I take an ssd out of my laptop and use it in a desktop to run Windows?

Buying a new laptop or desktop for gaming [help]

I want to buy either a new laptop or a new desktop for gaming. I want to run games smoothly and maybe even use it for some ps2 emulation. Could someone suggest either a laptop or desktop? I heard Alienware is expensive and over-rated. I was also told Sager laptops are good for gaming. I have about $1000-$1500 to spend on a new machine. Initially I was going to get a laptop but it seems like I would be able to get a more powerful desktop for the same price or less. Please advise. Please suggest a model/brand [desktop/laptop] that I could purchase because I don't think I know enough about computers to build one from scratch.

jdz7t8, Jun 20, 2021
Thema:

Can I take an ssd out of my laptop and use it in a desktop to run Windows?

1. Can I take an ssd out of my laptop and use it in a desktop to run Windows? - Similar Threads - ssd laptop desktop

2. How can I find out if I can run windows 11 24h2 on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I find out if I can run windows 11 24h2 on my laptop: HI I was just wanting to now if I could find out from some free software if I can run windows 11 24h2 on my windows 11 home editionI am currently running windows 11 23h2...
  3. How can I find out if I can run windows 11 24h2 on my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I find out if I can run windows 11 24h2 on my laptop: HI I was just wanting to now if I could find out from some free software if I can run windows 11 24h2 on my windows 11 home editionI am currently running windows 11 23h2...
  4. How can I take the pen out of the laptop

How can I take the pen out of the laptop: I dont know how to take the pen out of the laptop, my laptop does have a surface pen feature I checked and I am 100% sure it does, but I cant take it out of the laptop, or I just dont know how....
  5. How can I take the pen out of the laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I take the pen out of the laptop: I dont know how to take the pen out of the laptop, my laptop does have a surface pen feature I checked and I am 100% sure it does, but I cant take it out of the laptop, or I just dont know how....
  6. Can I use my single windows license in use running windows on my laptop for running windows...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I use my single windows license in use running windows on my laptop for running windows...: For software testing purposes and security I was considering using hyper-V running windows 10.Do I need another license for running windows on a VM running on the same windows machine which already uses my single windows license?Windows 10 Pro...
  7. Can I use my single windows license in use running windows on my laptop for running windows...

Can I use my single windows license in use running windows on my laptop for running windows...: For software testing purposes and security I was considering using hyper-V running windows 10.Do I need another license for running windows on a VM running on the same windows machine which already uses my single windows license?Windows 10 Pro...
  8. Can I use my single windows license in use running windows on my laptop for running windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. where i can see if i got a new ssd or hdd to take out the hard drive i take out or my...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    where i can see if i got a new ssd or hdd to take out the hard drive i take out or my...: where i can see if i got a new ssd or hdd to take out the hard drive i take out or my brother or even if its working or updated not updates i downloaded trojan and even if i cloned the disk its ruined too or if i use only c the d would be good or if i use d it would not be...
  10. Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop?: Via hdmi submitted by /u/celestial_god [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l8fp1f/can_i_use_my_laptop_as_a_primary_monitor_for_my/