Windows 10: can I track my lost laptop using my microsoft device tracker?

Discus and support can I track my lost laptop using my microsoft device tracker? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've lost my laptop HP Envy and it was logged into Microsoft. On the Microsoft device page the power is off and there is no option to lock the device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ric565, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Ric565 Win User

can I track my lost laptop using my microsoft device tracker?

I've lost my laptop HP Envy and it was logged into Microsoft. On the Microsoft device page the power is off and there is no option to lock the device and the laptop has no last known location. Is there any realistic chance of finding this laptop or do i just unlink it fro my Microsoft account now and call it quits and buy a new one?

:)

Ric565, Aug 1, 2023
  2. rrogers25 Win User

GPS Tracker

any active tracker requires the use of cell towers to send the information to you. you will not be able to actively monitor someone.

however, if you are looking to do a passive type of tracking, then you can do it without paying AT&T.

Passive trackers require you to grab the device and plug it into your PC, Laptop or something and down load the tracks.

There is more information about these types of trackers at places like vigilancegps.com or gpsgate.com both of those companies are free informational sites with no product bias.

rrogers25, Aug 1, 2023
  3. Darksaber Win User
    Gateway puts tracking device into laptops

Manufacturers have to do everything these days to stand out of the crowd. Gateway will now be putting a tracking device into the M250, M460 & M680 laptops. With the device, laptops can be traced and found, once stolen. The service will cost customers $99 for a three year coverage. If the laptop is not found within 60 days upon activation of the tracking device, the owner of the notebook may get up to $1,000 back.

More details at News.com.

Darksaber, Aug 1, 2023
  4. can I track my lost laptop using my microsoft device tracker?

How to track a stolen device

Hi Juland,

We understand your concern and we will provide the information required to help resolve your issue.

To begin with, I would like to inform that the feature "Find My Device" has some limitations. This is only a device-tracking solution, and it won’t allow you to remotely wipe or lock your PC. You also won’t be able to play an alarm or snap a photo of the
    person using your device with the webcam. It will only show you your device’s location.

As you have stated that the "Find my Device" option is disabled, lets see if we can activate the same via your Microsoft Account. To do so follow the steps below

Step 1: Activate the feature.

1. You’ll log into that Microsoft account from a web browser. The account should be the same as the one used to access the user account.

2. You’ll see a message saying “Find my device is off” if you haven’t enabled it yet. Click the “Change” button to enable this feature. Activate the “Save my device’s location periodically” option when prompted and your Windows 10 PC will regularly and automatically
    send its location to Microsoft. This will allow you to locate your PC even if it isn’t powered-up and online when you go to track it, as you can view the last known location.

Step 2: Track your Device.

• When you want to track your lost device, open a web browser and go to
      account.microsoft.com/devices
    • Sign in with the same Microsoft account you used on that Windows 10 PC you want to track.
    • You’ll see a list of devices registered to your Microsoft account. Scroll through the list and look for the device you want to track. You’ll see “Last seen at [time] in [City]” to the right of the device.
    • Click the “Find my device” link and you’ll be able to track the device on a map. If the device is powered on and connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi, a wired Ethernet cable, or a cellular data connection, its location will update regularly.

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 1, 2023
Thema:

can I track my lost laptop using my microsoft device tracker?

1. can I track my lost laptop using my microsoft device tracker? - Similar Threads - track lost laptop

2. How to track my laptop device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to track my laptop device: How to track my laptop device Please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-track-my-laptop-device/fa2500d8-51fb-4d17-8123-efb4a14afc20
  3. How to track my laptop device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to track my laptop device: How to track my laptop device Please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-track-my-laptop-device/fa2500d8-51fb-4d17-8123-efb4a14afc20
  4. How can I track my laptop if it was stolen

How can I track my laptop if it was stolen: My laptop was stolen and it has very crucial information I want to track it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-track-my-laptop-if-it-was-stolen/7f1cfd6f-ffba-4be6-bee1-e024f44df80d
  5. How can I track my lost laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I track my lost laptop: My laptop was stolen can you help me track it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-track-my-lost-laptop/3b260be8-83a9-4fc5-8a35-958f545996cf
  6. How can I track my lost laptop

How can I track my lost laptop: My laptop was stolen can you help me track it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-track-my-lost-laptop/3b260be8-83a9-4fc5-8a35-958f545996cf
  7. Can microsoft track a stolen laptop that uses windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can microsoft track a stolen laptop that uses windows: Can microsoft track a stolen laptop that uses windows. I have ordered a laptop, but if a porch pirate steals it when it is delivered, can microsoft track it if it is using windows...
  8. Can microsoft track a stolen laptop that uses windows

Can microsoft track a stolen laptop that uses windows: Can microsoft track a stolen laptop that uses windows. I have ordered a laptop, but if a porch pirate steals it when it is delivered, can microsoft track it if it is using windows...
  9. can I track my lost laptop using my microsoft device tracker?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I track my lost laptop using my microsoft device tracker?: I've lost my laptop HP Envy and it was logged into Microsoft. On the Microsoft device page the power is off and there is no option to lock the device and the laptop has no last known location. Is there any realistic chance of finding this laptop or do i just unlink it fro my...
  10. Tracking lost laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Tracking lost laptop: I have lost my laptop and have tried to use find my device to track it but it’s not being very accurate. I’m fairly certain that I left it somewhere in my school and find my device is saying that it was last found near multiple locations that are near the school. One thing...