Windows 10: Can I trade boot drives between identical computers?

Discus and support Can I trade boot drives between identical computers? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two identical ASUS laptops, both running the current version of Windows 10. One has a flakey HDMI port, so I would like to trade the SSDs so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bogeyman3027, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Can I trade boot drives between identical computers?

I have two identical ASUS laptops, both running the current version of Windows 10. One has a flakey HDMI port, so I would like to trade the SSDs so that my wife has the one with the good HDMI port, since she uses it regularly. Can I simply trade out the SSDs or will the Windows product key prevent that? If it (or something else)does prevent that, is there a workaround short of scratch loading both computers? Thanks for your help in advance.

:)

bogeyman3027, Aug 7, 2018

2. Computer booting up slow and unable to add files to flash drive

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to run System Maintenance Troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click System Maintenance.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    I suggest you to place the computer in Clean boot
    and check.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

With regards to USB flash drive as its not working with different computers as well, you may need to get in touch with the USB flash drive manufacturer.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Aug 7, 2018
  3. Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 7, 2018
  4. GSG-9 Win User

Can I trade boot drives between identical computers?

Lost the Seagate...

The drive seems to be completely dead, my computer will not boot if I have it connected...to the windows cd or the new installation on the F1 drive (which is the boot drive now by the way)

Thanks for the above article, im booting into Vista: U 64 right now, I cant follow those steps if the drive is in, it will lock up before it gets that far or if its not a cold boot the drive does not appear on the list.

GSG-9, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

Can I trade boot drives between identical computers?

1. Can I trade boot drives between identical computers? - Similar Threads - trade boot drives

2. Can I trade in my nuvision laptop tablet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I trade in my nuvision laptop tablet: Is it possible that I can trade in my nuvision laptop tablet that I can't get into for a new Microsoft laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-trade-in-my-nuvision-laptop-tablet/6c869986-0957-402b-9576-9c3e1ef2b130
  3. Can I trade in my nuvision laptop tablet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I trade in my nuvision laptop tablet: Is it possible that I can trade in my nuvision laptop tablet that I can't get into for a new Microsoft laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-trade-in-my-nuvision-laptop-tablet/6c869986-0957-402b-9576-9c3e1ef2b130
  4. Can I trade in my nuvision laptop tablet

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  5. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    swapping boot drives between PC's: I'm upgrading my PC and am changing from 8th gen intel to 13th gen, among other things, meaning I need to change my motherboard. Can I just take my boot drive nvme drive and chuck it in the new build or do I need to do something more complex? Will it require me to reactivate...
  6. swapping boot drives between PC's

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    swapping boot drives between PC's: I'm upgrading my PC and am changing from 8th gen intel to 13th gen, among other things, meaning I need to change my motherboard. Can I just take my boot drive nvme drive and chuck it in the new build or do I need to do something more complex? Will it require me to reactivate...
  7. Can not verify my Identity to my computer.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can not verify my Identity to my computer.: I am trying to sync my passwords between my devices, but when attempting to, a prompt appears for me to enter a password for an account long gone. I have tried changing the password to said account, but when I try that it tells me the account no longer exists which I knew as...
  8. Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swap drives between two identical laptops - Windows 10 activation: I have two identical laptops with Windows 10 Home OEM licenses (HP Spectre laptops), one mine and one of my partner. Due to a hardware issue with the thunderbolt port in one of them I want to swap the hard drives so I can use my partner's instead. However I am not sure on how...
  9. Federal Trade Commission - Computer Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Federal Trade Commission - Computer Security: Another interesting find for computer security. This time from the Federal Trade Commission(FTC). The internet offers access to a world of products and services, entertainment and information. At the same time, it creates opportunities for scammers, hackers, and...
  10. Move Boot drive between 2 identical computers.

in Windows 10 Support
    Move Boot drive between 2 identical computers.: In the near future I may have to spend many months in a row at 2 different locations (let's say about 8 months in Asia and 4 months in Europe) for many years to come. As I don't want a notebook, I was considering building 2 identical computers at the 2 locations and just...