Can I trade boot drives between identical computers?

Discus and support Can I trade boot drives between identical computers? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have two identical ASUS laptops, both running the current version of Windows 10. One has a flakey HDMI port, so I would like to trade the SSDs so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bogeyman3027, Aug 7, 2018.

1. bogeyman3027 Win User

I have two identical ASUS laptops, both running the current version of Windows 10. One has a flakey HDMI port, so I would like to trade the SSDs so that my wife has the one with the good HDMI port, since she uses it regularly. Can I simply trade out the SSDs or will the Windows product key prevent that? If it (or something else)does prevent that, is there a workaround short of scratch loading both computers? Thanks for your help in advance.

:)

bogeyman3027, Aug 7, 2018
  2. Giridhar J Win User

Computer booting up slow and unable to add files to flash drive

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to run System Maintenance Troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click System Maintenance.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    I suggest you to place the computer in Clean boot
    and check.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

With regards to USB flash drive as its not working with different computers as well, you may need to get in touch with the USB flash drive manufacturer.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Aug 7, 2018
  3. Syed Md Bilal Win User
    Unable to boot the computer.

Hi Samid,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Before we proceed, we would require more information to assist you further.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you check if you are able to boot into Windows Recovery Environment using installation media. Follow the steps provided below and check.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
    Check if you are able to boot to this window. If you are unable to boot to this window, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer and check.

Hope this information is helpful. Reply us with this information to assist you further.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Aug 7, 2018
  4. GSG-9 Win User

Lost the Seagate...

The drive seems to be completely dead, my computer will not boot if I have it connected...to the windows cd or the new installation on the F1 drive (which is the boot drive now by the way)

Thanks for the above article, im booting into Vista: U 64 right now, I cant follow those steps if the drive is in, it will lock up before it gets that far or if its not a cold boot the drive does not appear on the list.

GSG-9, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I trade boot drives between identical computers? - Similar Threads - trade boot drives

2. I am not able to add new bluetooth devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    I am not able to add new bluetooth devices: I bougth my ASUS ROG GL503VD laptop a month ago and have been using it without any issues. Yesterday, I was prompted to install the 1803 OS update and I did, but it took a lot of time to install. Today, using my laptop, when trying to add a bluetooth keyboard, noticed this...
  3. Windows 10 failing to update from the 1703 version. What can I do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 failing to update from the 1703 version. What can I do?: Windows 10 just doesn't seem to update from the 1703 version to a newer one. It started about a month ago; the update would start normally, but it'd eventually fail after reaching a certain percentage of completion. It'd then reboot back to the previous version. But then one...
  4. Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Word 2007 Can No-Longer open .DOCM files after upgrade to Windows 10: Today, I upgraded a Windows 8 system to Windows 10 Home. All seemed to work well. NOW however, Word 2007 cannot open a .DOCM file that has an embedded Excel spreadsheet object (.XLS). I've never seen such a thing before and I'm lost. There's a bunch of chatter about Security...
  5. i want to add a new user for my kids in the Pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i want to add a new user for my kids in the Pc: hello guys i want to create a new user for my kids https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-win_people/i-want-to-add-a-new-user-for-my-kids-in-the-pc/49651e3b-78c9-4351-8a2e-2abb8ec0e92a
  6. I get random blue screens all the time the included solution does not work!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I get random blue screens all the time the included solution does not work!: I get random blue screens with a crash code bad_pool_caller. I checked the Microsoft Support website but the included solution does not help (check if all of your drivers are updated) they werent but I updated them and its still happening I tried some other things for example...
  7. I cant play my steam games anymore!!!!!

I cant play my steam games anymore!!!!!: I am sick of trying to fix this stupid error. I was able to play games on this laptop before but now when i go on steam and try to play them it gives me this error. [ATTACH] I have tried to "Instal Dierct X again. Checked DxDiag, and checked if my drivers up to date"....
  8. Unmountable boot error

Unmountable boot error: Hello! My laptop has been getting the blue screen with the “unmountable boot error” when I try to start it up. I made USB drive of the windows media installation to try to fix it but it doesn’t show up. Ive tried changing the boot order & tried using F9 to select it but it’s...
  9. Like to Create data backups From CMD command can i ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Like to Create data backups From CMD command can i ?: Like to Create Full backups From CMD command can i ? 115978
  10. How to get mouse to move between the two monitors.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get mouse to move between the two monitors.: I have a Toshiba Satellite s55 and a dell monitor. Can get home screen on monitor but if I choose 2 as the monitor I can't get the mouse to come back to my laptop....