Windows 10: Can I transfer a digital licence to a brand new, self built pc?

Discus and support Can I transfer a digital licence to a brand new, self built pc? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have this old laptop that I bought with a retail version of windows 7 on it. Then I got the free upgrade to windows 10 home and it now has a retail... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by YoungWalrus117, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Can I transfer a digital licence to a brand new, self built pc?

I have this old laptop that I bought with a retail version of windows 7 on it. Then I got the free upgrade to windows 10 home and it now has a retail version of windows 10 home on it. However, it does not have a product key in it, but instead it just says "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account". Is there anyway for me to transfer this digital licence of a retail windows 10 copy to a new, self built, pc that has never run windows before or do I have to spend another $100 to get a windows 10 home key?

:)

YoungWalrus117, Oct 27, 2018

2. Transfer digital license from old PC to New one.

You would have to first ensure the Digital License is linked to your Microsoft Account. See instructions how to do that. You can then use the Troubleshooter on the new computer after installing Windows 10 to restore the license.

Please note, if your license was upgraded from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 7 license, it is not transferable.

See:

Andre Da Costa, Oct 27, 2018
  3. cereberus Win User
    Revoking Digital Licence -- possible ????

Digital licences are sort of half way between oem and retail. You can transfer them to a new device (regardless of original licence status) but it is not unlimited. They can only be transferred three time (At last within a short period. I have never tested doing it weeks apart). Also, digital licences cannot be transferred between virtual machines and physical machines.

Full Retail keys do not have the above restriction albeit telephone activation may be needed periodically to transfer the licence (just a security check by MS to avoid wholesale piracy).

It is alleged you cannot transfer between laptops and desktops, but I cannot verify that - I have seen conflicting evidence to suggest that is "hit or miss".

I think of digital licences as "Restricted Retail" as opposed to "Full Retail".

cereberus, Oct 27, 2018
  4. kevvyb Win User

Can I transfer a digital licence to a brand new, self built pc?

Successful transfer of Win10 Pro digital licence

So this worked. Signed into MS on both machines, clicked change licence. After having to verify my identity on both machines, upgrade proceeded. I used my win7 pro retail key to install. When I checked the digital licence had been activated on the new machine.

Only issue was that I thought that the upgrade process had got stuck when it displayed the 'egg timer' with message 100% completed for about 45 minutes, before proceeding to update the machine to pro.

After the upgrade on new machine (digital licence transfer) I deactivated Win10 Pro on the old machine until I wipe it completely.

kevvyb, Oct 27, 2018
Thema:

Can I transfer a digital licence to a brand new, self built pc?

1. Can I transfer a digital licence to a brand new, self built pc? - Similar Threads - transfer digital licence

2. Transfer a licence to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer a licence to new PC: I have a windows licence that I bought for an old pc that I have scrapped. I have another pc and wish to install Windows. Is it possible to deactivate my licence on the old PC that I no longer have so that I can use it again?...
  3. Transferring a digital licence to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring a digital licence to a new computer: I am going to buy a new computer and I will buy a new windows 11 license for that new computer and the computer I am currently using has a windows 10 which is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. The problem is I want to format this computer and...
  4. Transferring a digital licence to a new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring a digital licence to a new computer: I am going to buy a new computer and I will buy a new windows 11 license for that new computer and the computer I am currently using has a windows 10 which is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. The problem is I want to format this computer and...
  5. Transferring a digital licence to a new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  6. Transfer Digital Licence

Transfer Digital Licence: Hi,I have just built a PC and want to transfer my Win 10 licence to the new build. I have seen guides to deactivate licence on old machine but I have no way of recording my licence key and am afraid of deactivating the old machine and being left with no active licence.Methods...
  7. Transferring a Windows 10 Digital Licence PC to a new owner?

Transferring a Windows 10 Digital Licence PC to a new owner?: My sister has a Windows 10 PC she is giving to my nephew and we are trying to figure out how to get the licence in his name? I need to do a full reinstall but with the licence tied to my sisters account how would I do it? It was a Windows 7 till she did the free upgrade. I...
  8. Transfer digital licence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer digital licence: Hello, i recently bought a new PC and i cant transfer my digital licence from old pc for activating windows 10.. i have a digital licence linked to my microsoft account win 10 pro retail version.. can anyone help me ? and yes i tried the troubleshooter, and he didnt...
  9. Transfer of digital licence

Transfer of digital licence: I have a windows 10(home) laptop with digital licence linked to my email id. Now i want to sell the laptop to another person. Question 1- how can he/she get the licence or in other words how can I transfer my ownership to him/her. Question 2- will i have to buy a new...
  10. Win10 digital licence transfer to a new pc...POSSIBLE???

Win10 digital licence transfer to a new pc...POSSIBLE???: Hi there! Could anyone help me out with this.... before i had win7 product and i got a free to win10 and i updrageded it, in my activation status it says that windows is digitally licenced to ur Microsoft account and i no where find my win7 product key...now the problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i have a digital windows licence can i use it on a new dos laptop