Windows 10: Can I transfer a Windows 10 digital license from one Microsoft account to another Microsoft...

Discus and support Can I transfer a Windows 10 digital license from one Microsoft account to another Microsoft... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a digital retail copy of Windows 10 Professional 64bit which is currently linked to my old Hotmail account I've had for decades. Due to an ever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KevinP240, Nov 10, 2020.

1. KevinP240 Win User

Can I transfer a Windows 10 digital license from one Microsoft account to another Microsoft...

I have a digital retail copy of Windows 10 Professional 64bit which is currently linked to my old Hotmail account I've had for decades. Due to an ever increasing amount of spam I get I'm wanting to completely close that Hotmail account and open a new one. The problem is my Windows 10 license being linked to my Hotmail account.

If I open a new Outlook account, can I transfer the license ownership from the old Hotmail account to the new Outlook account? The PC that Windows is installed on will remain mine and unchanged.

Kind regards

Kevin

P.S: I know that I can continue to use my PC but should the time come I need to do a complete and clean re-install of Windows i.e formatting the storage drive of all data and doing a fresh install I would like my copy of Windows to be re-activated using the new Outlook account.

:)

KevinP240, Nov 10, 2020

2. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License  

This is what i get on step 2

Can I transfer a Windows 10 digital license from one Microsoft account to another Microsoft... [​IMG]

MCardona81, Nov 10, 2020
  3. How to transfer Windows digital license to Microsoft account?

So i bought a new laptop with Windows 10 installed in it. When i look up the activation page on settings it says "Windows is activated with a digital license".

all i know about digital license is that it is connected to a Microsoft account. But this laptop i bought doesn't have Microsoft account in it, only local account/Administrator (i know it from Settings > account).

So the question is if i login to my Microsoft account (from the Activation > Add Microsoft account), will the digital license 'transfered' to my Microsoft account??? Or is it gonna be stuck forever on the local account???

Sorry for this silly question, im totally new with this digital license scheme.

august.watt, Nov 10, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Can I transfer a Windows 10 digital license from one Microsoft account to another Microsoft...

key points of Tutorial "Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital "

Yes.

Yes. Signing in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account, the password is always that of Microsoft account.

Yes. Digital license of a Windows 10 PC can only be attached to one MS account at any given time.

Yes.

Please notice that license transfer and management can be confusing if you do not use descriptive computer names.

By default Windows names a PC with DESKTOP-XXXXXXX where XXXXXXX is a random 7 character alphanumeric string. Naming your PC before assigning license to a Microsoft account helps you to identify your computers and digital licenses when transferring licenses.

Here's how to name a PC when installing Windows 10:

(Video from thread Tips and tricks - You saw it first on TenForums! Solved - Windows 10 Forums)

To give a descriptive name later, see this tutorial: Change Computer Name in Windows 10 Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Thema:

1. Can I transfer a Windows 10 digital license from one Microsoft account to another Microsoft... - Similar Threads - transfer digital license

2. Can I transfer a digital license from one computer to another?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I transfer a digital license from one computer to another?: I tried searching for a solution but found nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-transfer-a-digital-license-from-one-computer/2db3ef70-e5b0-45fd-bbb9-6eae11129d8a
  3. Can I transfer a digital license from one computer to another?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I transfer a digital license from one computer to another?: I tried searching for a solution but found nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-transfer-a-digital-license-from-one-computer/2db3ef70-e5b0-45fd-bbb9-6eae11129d8a
  4. Can I transfer a digital license from one computer to another?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is it possible to transfer a digital license linked with a Microsoft account to another...

Is it possible to transfer a digital license linked with a Microsoft account to another...: ...... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-transfer-a-digital-license/677411be-556f-42e5-9115-40625081ab26
  6. Is it possible to transfer a digital license linked with a Microsoft account to another...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to transfer a digital license linked with a Microsoft account to another...: ...... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-possible-to-transfer-a-digital-license/677411be-556f-42e5-9115-40625081ab26
  7. Is it possible to transfer a digital license linked with a Microsoft account to another...

8. Can I transfer Windows Digital License to another Microsoft Account ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I transfer Windows Digital License to another Microsoft Account ?: I had bought a laptop couple of months ago. During fresh start, system got started with my MS account and windows activated with digital license linked to my Microsoft Account. Now I have gifted the beast to a friend of mine and I want to transfer Windows digital license of...
  9. Can I transfer Windows Digital License to another Microsoft Account ?

Can I transfer Windows Digital License to another Microsoft Account ?: I had bought a laptop couple of months ago. During fresh start, system got started with my MS account and windows activated with digital license linked to my Microsoft Account. Now I have gifted the beast to a friend of mine and I want to transfer Windows digital license of...
  10. Can I transfer Windows Digital License to another Microsoft Account ?