Windows 10: Can I Transfer a Windows 10 Pro Retail Licence to a new PC with Windows 10 Home (OEM)

Discus and support Can I Transfer a Windows 10 Pro Retail Licence to a new PC with Windows 10 Home (OEM) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an 8 year old PC on which I installed a bona fide retail version of Windows 8.1 Pro purchased from Microsoft. When Windows 10 was released I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by HarrisMan, Nov 13, 2019.

1. HarrisMan Win User

Can I Transfer a Windows 10 Pro Retail Licence to a new PC with Windows 10 Home (OEM)

I have an 8 year old PC on which I installed a bona fide retail version of Windows 8.1 Pro purchased from Microsoft. When Windows 10 was released I installed the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I am about to buy a new PC which will have Windows 10 Home installed (i.e. OEM). Can I uninstal my Pro licence from my old PC and use it to upgrade my new PC from Home to Pro?

:)

HarrisMan, Nov 13, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Transferring Windows 10 Pro to a new computer

Hi Roger,

Is your Windows 10 Pro licence based on an OEM licence (came pre-installed on a PC) or Retail (purchased separately to a PC)

If it is a Retail licence, then it will have transfer rights to a new Motherboard or PC, if it is OEM it will not . ..

Is your Windows 10 pro licence a retail licence?

DaveM121, Nov 13, 2019
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows 10 Release Date Announced

Windows 10 Home will be $119, Pro $199.

Microsoft: Windows 10 Home costs $119, Pro costs $199

Which is good news actually, because Windows 8.1 is loads cheaper than previous versions (retail licensing at Windows 7 OEM prices). And it sort of puts a huge hole in the Windows subscription theory.

Frick, Nov 13, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Can I Transfer a Windows 10 Pro Retail Licence to a new PC with Windows 10 Home (OEM)

Can I acquire an old Windows 10 Pro digital licence?

Hi Zachary

Is your Windows 10 Pro licence based on an OEM Windows 7 Pro licence (came pre-installed on a PC) or Retail (purchased separately to a PC)

If it is a Retail licence, then it will have transfer rights to a new PC, if it is OEM it will not . ..

Was that Windows 7 Pro a Retail licence?

DaveM121, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Can I Transfer a Windows 10 Pro Retail Licence to a new PC with Windows 10 Home (OEM) - Similar Threads - Transfer Pro Retail

2. Transferring a retail Windows 11 Pro licence to a new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring a retail Windows 11 Pro licence to a new PC: I have an old PC running Windows 11 Pro, "activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account". This is a retail licence purchased from the Microsoft Store. This old PC is now suffering from various hardware problems, so I have bought a new one. This has...
  3. Transferring a retail Windows 11 Pro licence to a new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring a retail Windows 11 Pro licence to a new PC: I have an old PC running Windows 11 Pro, "activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account". This is a retail licence purchased from the Microsoft Store. This old PC is now suffering from various hardware problems, so I have bought a new one. This has...
  4. Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail: I have a Windows 10 Home OEM PC. Where I will change the product key to Windows 10 Pro Retail which I purchased separately.This Windows 10 Pro Retail I will migrate to another PC and setup in VM in the future.After the migration can I reinstall back the Windows 10 Home OEM on...
  5. Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail: I have a Windows 10 Home OEM PC. Where I will change the product key to Windows 10 Pro Retail which I purchased separately.This Windows 10 Pro Retail I will migrate to another PC and setup in VM in the future.After the migration can I reinstall back the Windows 10 Home OEM on...
  6. Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can I transfer an OEM Windows 10 Home licence that I purchased a 10 Pro upgrade for to a...

Can I transfer an OEM Windows 10 Home licence that I purchased a 10 Pro upgrade for to a...: Pardon if this has been asked ad nauseam, mildly tired and my reading comprehension skills are a bit tanked right now. Would prefer a simple yes/no response if that's not too much trouble. I have a laptop purchased in 2015 that came with an OEM version of Windows installed....
  8. Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail

Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that came with Windows 10 Home OEM. I want to upgrade toWindows 10 Pro Retail, so that I can move it to future computers when I retire this one. Can I simply purchaseWindows 10 Pro Retail and insert that Retail license key into the change product...
  9. Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail

Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail: I have Windows 10 Pro Retail license previously in my old PC (own build) and now I bought a new Dell PC with Windows 10 Home OEM installed. How can I upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM in the Dell PC with Windows 10 Pro license from another PC? I don't use the old PC (own build)...
  10. Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC?: Hi, I bought a laptop 5 years ago which came with win 8.1 OEM installed. I did the free upgrade to win 10 home when this came available. I have built my own PC with new components, but I'm aware that I can't transfer the win 10 home license as it is OEM and linked to the...