Windows 10: Can i transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade from a laptop that was stolen to its replacement...

Discus and support Can i transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade from a laptop that was stolen to its replacement... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had upgraded my laptop to windows 10 pro but that laptop was stolen. I replaced it with another laptop with windows 10 home. Is there a way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jmcewan, Jul 12, 2019 at 6:18 PM.

1. Jmcewan Win User

Can i transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade from a laptop that was stolen to its replacement...

I had upgraded my laptop to windows 10 pro but that laptop was stolen. I replaced it with another laptop with windows 10 home. Is there a way to transfer the upgrade to this new laptop? Thanks.

:)

2. pcuaron Win User

Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license

Hello. I've recently bought a new laptop to replace a stolen one. The new laptop unfortunately comes with Windows 10 Home, and to enable disk encryption I'd need a Pro licence. In the stolen laptop, I had a full price retail Windows 8 licence, later upgraded to 8.1 and 10 Pro.

For what I've read in this forum, my 10 Pro licence would be transferable, since it was originally a retail licence. My questions are:
    - can I transfer the licence without having access to my stolen computer?
    - can I do an in-place upgrade from Home to Pro in the new laptop just by, perhaps, putting my Windows 10 Pro Retail product key somewhere?

I'm a little confused about this.

Thanks a lot!

3. Using Windows 10 Pro upgrade license in case of laptop stolen/replaced

This is a hypothetical question at the moment but my client is buying Yoga 500s which comes with Windows 10 Home. Bit of a legacy decision for a new start-up. However, they then decided they want to use BitLocker encryption so I've been upgrading their laptops
    to Windows 10 Pro for £99.

These laptops have their license stored in the BIOS and I assume that when I upgraded then Microsoft simply updated the license information stored in the their databases with the associated hardware ID.

I answered my first question about what happened if one had to rebuild these laptops from scratch - I took an image of a test laptop and re-installed Windows 10 from a downloaded ISO. It didn't ask me to choose between Windows 10 Home and Pro; it must have
    checked the hardware ID and said "it's Windows 10 Pro now" and off it went.

Second question is what happens if the laptop is stolen or replaced by the manufacturer under warranty? This will end up with a new hardware ID and back to Windows 10 home. Can the upgrade be transferred to the new laptop?

In the case of it been stolen and an insurance claim, then I guess one could claim for the Windows 10 Pro upgrade. But a much more likely scenario is a new laptop is bought, upgraded but then fails. Laptop will be fixed but client won't be happy having to
    pay another £99 so soon after purchase.

PS. I did post this question before but I can't find my old activity since the migration to answers.

Rob-Nicholson-Outlook, Jul 12, 2019 at 6:20 PM
  4. mking2k Win User

Can i transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade from a laptop that was stolen to its replacement...

Transferring Windows pro Upgrade

On July 30th I paid $99 for the Window Pro Upgrade

On August 5 my ASUS laptop died.

I just replaced my laptop with an ACER

How can I transfer my pro Upgrade to my ACER

Thema:

1. Can i transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade from a laptop that was stolen to its replacement... - Similar Threads - transfer pro upgrade

2. What can I do to locate a stolen laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What can I do to locate a stolen laptop: What if anything can i do to locate my laptop that was stolen from my home. Is there anyway I can track the location if they erased my account and disabled the tracking device...
  3. can i transfer windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can i transfer windows 10 pro: I did a stupid thing with my laptop that I purchased from Best Buy store open box laptop. I purchased a windows 10 pro license before I knew it has enterprise... never expected it to have enterprise, but it did. So I used pro for a few months and now I have a new laptop...
  4. Broken laptop with Win 10 Pro retail. Can I transfer this to a new laptop?

Broken laptop with Win 10 Pro retail. Can I transfer this to a new laptop?: Broken laptop with Win 10 Pro retail. Can I transfer this to a new laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-laptop-with-win-10-pro-retail-can-i/ee703ead-1abc-4ed8-9f10-0928623f3740
  5. I had a laptop with windows 10 pro , Can I use this license to upgrade my new laptop from...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I had a laptop with windows 10 pro , Can I use this license to upgrade my new laptop from...: Hi! I had a laptop with windows 10 pro and it was activated with digital license tied to my account. I still see the computer with its specs and os type on my account, now my question is, can I use this license to upgrade my new laptop that came with windows home to pro since...
  6. Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Pro. Can it be transfer to another laptop?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Pro. Can it be transfer to another laptop?: Hi, I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 Home. I paid and upgraded it to Pro edition using Microsoft Store. Unfortunately, there's a hardware malfunction with my new laptop and I need to exchange for a new one. Will my Pro upgrade be digitally linked to my new...
  7. stolen laptop

stolen laptop: How can I find my Lenova Laptop if its stolen and find my device doesnt work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stolen-laptop/f79b4df9-816d-42f9-9aa7-8601b2c0e214"
  8. Can I Replace My Laptop Fan?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can I Replace My Laptop Fan?: My Laptop is a 2015 Windows 10 HP BeatsAudio 8gb RAM and Pavilion 17. The fan has been roughly loud and annoying lately getting noisy for absolutely no reasons. No viruses and it has been cleaned thoroughly....
  9. Can I transfer a windows 10 upgrade to another PC?

Can I transfer a windows 10 upgrade to another PC?: When I built my first computer I purchased windows 7 OEM home I believe, but I no longer have the install disk. I did the free upgrade to windows 10, but I'm wondering if I transfer windows if it will go back to windows 7? or will it still be windows 10? It doesn't matter to...
  10. stolen laptop

stolen laptop: yes i dont know if they took the hard drive out or if the reset it to factory setting but it was dead for sure so they would have to unlock my account but the issue reamains about the hard drive swap... i have the orgibal box that it came in and the serial number of the...