Windows 10: Can i transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade from a laptop that was stolen to its replacement...

Discus and support Can i transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade from a laptop that was stolen to its replacement... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had upgraded my laptop to windows 10 pro but that laptop was stolen. I replaced it with another laptop with windows 10 home. Is there a way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jmcewan, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Jmcewan Win User

Can i transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade from a laptop that was stolen to its replacement...

I had upgraded my laptop to windows 10 pro but that laptop was stolen. I replaced it with another laptop with windows 10 home. Is there a way to transfer the upgrade to this new laptop? Thanks.

:)

Jmcewan, Jul 12, 2019
  2. pcuaron Win User

Upgrade from Home to Pro by transferring a retail license

Hello. I've recently bought a new laptop to replace a stolen one. The new laptop unfortunately comes with Windows 10 Home, and to enable disk encryption I'd need a Pro licence. In the stolen laptop, I had a full price retail Windows 8 licence, later upgraded to 8.1 and 10 Pro.

For what I've read in this forum, my 10 Pro licence would be transferable, since it was originally a retail licence. My questions are:
    - can I transfer the licence without having access to my stolen computer?
    - can I do an in-place upgrade from Home to Pro in the new laptop just by, perhaps, putting my Windows 10 Pro Retail product key somewhere?

I'm a little confused about this.

Thanks a lot!

pcuaron, Jul 12, 2019
  3. Using Windows 10 Pro upgrade license in case of laptop stolen/replaced

This is a hypothetical question at the moment but my client is buying Yoga 500s which comes with Windows 10 Home. Bit of a legacy decision for a new start-up. However, they then decided they want to use BitLocker encryption so I've been upgrading their laptops
    to Windows 10 Pro for £99.

These laptops have their license stored in the BIOS and I assume that when I upgraded then Microsoft simply updated the license information stored in the their databases with the associated hardware ID.

I answered my first question about what happened if one had to rebuild these laptops from scratch - I took an image of a test laptop and re-installed Windows 10 from a downloaded ISO. It didn't ask me to choose between Windows 10 Home and Pro; it must have
    checked the hardware ID and said "it's Windows 10 Pro now" and off it went.

Second question is what happens if the laptop is stolen or replaced by the manufacturer under warranty? This will end up with a new hardware ID and back to Windows 10 home. Can the upgrade be transferred to the new laptop?

In the case of it been stolen and an insurance claim, then I guess one could claim for the Windows 10 Pro upgrade. But a much more likely scenario is a new laptop is bought, upgraded but then fails. Laptop will be fixed but client won't be happy having to
    pay another £99 so soon after purchase.

PS. I did post this question before but I can't find my old activity since the migration to answers.

Rob-Nicholson-Outlook, Jul 12, 2019
  4. mking2k Win User

Can i transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade from a laptop that was stolen to its replacement...

Transferring Windows pro Upgrade

On July 30th I paid $99 for the Window Pro Upgrade

On August 5 my ASUS laptop died.

I just replaced my laptop with an ACER

How can I transfer my pro Upgrade to my ACER

mking2k, Jul 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Can i transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade from a laptop that was stolen to its replacement... - Similar Threads - transfer pro upgrade

2. Transfer Windows 11 Pro Upgrade to Replacement Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 11 Pro Upgrade to Replacement Computer: I recently purchased the Windows 11 Pro upgrade in the Microsoft Store and updated my computer from Home to Pro. A short while later, the computer died and I had to return it to the manufacturer. How can I transfer my Pro upgrade to my new replacement computer?...
  3. Transfer Windows 11 Pro Upgrade to Replacement Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Windows 11 Pro Upgrade to Replacement Computer: I recently purchased the Windows 11 Pro upgrade in the Microsoft Store and updated my computer from Home to Pro. A short while later, the computer died and I had to return it to the manufacturer. How can I transfer my Pro upgrade to my new replacement computer?...
  4. Upgrade from 10 Home OEM to 10 Pro. Can I transfer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from 10 Home OEM to 10 Pro. Can I transfer?: Title really says it all. I'm about to slap together a new PC . Current PC I bought a while ago had 10 Home OEM preinstalled on a drive. If I upgrade to 10 Pro from the windows store for the $99 will it be a Full/Retail version that I can then deactivate and transfer to my...
  5. Upgrade from 10 Home OEM to 10 Pro. Can I transfer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 10 Home OEM to 10 Pro. Can I transfer?: Title really says it all. I'm about to slap together a new PC . Current PC I bought a while ago had 10 Home OEM preinstalled on a drive. If I upgrade to 10 Pro from the windows store for the $99 will it be a Full/Retail version that I can then deactivate and transfer to my...
  6. Upgrade from 10 Home OEM to 10 Pro. Can I transfer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can I get a refund or transfer Windows 10 Pro upgrade?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I get a refund or transfer Windows 10 Pro upgrade?: I just purchased a new PC and immediately upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro. I then discovered a problem with this new PC that will require me to return it. Can I get a refund for or transfer the Windows 10 Pro license I purchased to a new PC?...
  8. Transfer windows 10 pro upgrade to new laptop

Transfer windows 10 pro upgrade to new laptop: Hi, I purchased new laptop with pre installed windows 10 home and I upgraded it to windows 10 pro through Microsoft store. after two day the new laptop started playing up so I send it back to the shop and they exchange and gave me a new one with pre installed windows...
  9. Can I transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade to a new machine?

Can I transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade to a new machine?: Hi, I am about to buy a new windows 10 desktop machine and have the option to purchase with Home or Professional. I already have a professional upgrade licence for my current machine. This was bought recently from the Windows store March 2020. My question is, if I...
  10. Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Pro. Can it be transfer to another laptop?

Upgraded Windows 10 Home to Pro. Can it be transfer to another laptop?: Hi, I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 Home. I paid and upgraded it to Pro edition using Microsoft Store. Unfortunately, there's a hardware malfunction with my new laptop and I need to exchange for a new one. Will my Pro upgrade be digitally linked to my new...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to transfer windows 10pro upgrade license to replacement laptop