Windows 10: Can I transfer my copy of windows to a new pc?

Discus and support Can I transfer my copy of windows to a new pc? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The pc I have is one I built. It has a copy of Windows 10 purchased directly from Microsoft's online store. Due to hardware issues this pc is no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SeanGreen3, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Can I transfer my copy of windows to a new pc?

The pc I have is one I built. It has a copy of Windows 10 purchased directly from Microsoft's online store. Due to hardware issues this pc is no longer functioning, and I am currently building a new one. I've tried looking this up but there's a lot of confusion over what is considered OEM and what is Retail.

Is there any way for me to switch my license from the old pc to the new one? If so how would I do this? Would I just install Windows 10 and use my product key to activate it?

:)

SeanGreen3, Apr 15, 2020
  2. Andre Da Costa, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Delicieuxz, Apr 15, 2020
  4. Can I transfer my copy of windows to a new pc?

transfer windows 10 to new pc?

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Can I transfer my copy of windows to a new pc?

1. Can I transfer my copy of windows to a new pc? - Similar Threads - transfer copy

2. How can I transfer my retail copy of Windows 10 Home from my old Microsoft account to my...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I transfer my retail copy of Windows 10 Home from my old Microsoft account to my...: Hi All,I need to transfer my retail copy of Windows 10 Home from my old Microsoft account to my new Microsoft Account. I have access to both accounts. I would like to consolidate all to the new account moving forward. Both the old and new MS account are on the same PC, so no...
  3. On Servicepoint in sales when I try to "copy to project", not all the files transfer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    On Servicepoint in sales when I try to "copy to project", not all the files transfer?: When I am in sales and try to "copy to projects" there are many folders that are missing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-servicepoint-in-sales-when-i-try-to-copy-to/cf489924-fda7-447b-a7d8-ff6fb880e093
  4. On Servicepoint in sales when I try to "copy to project", not all the files transfer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On Servicepoint in sales when I try to "copy to project", not all the files transfer?: When I am in sales and try to "copy to projects" there are many folders that are missing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/on-servicepoint-in-sales-when-i-try-to-copy-to/cf489924-fda7-447b-a7d8-ff6fb880e093
  5. On Servicepoint in sales when I try to "copy to project", not all the files transfer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  7. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  8. Having a huge difficulty copying an SSD to transfer to another PC to swap out PC's.

Having a huge difficulty copying an SSD to transfer to another PC to swap out PC's.: This is a comprehensive list of all the things that I have tried to make full copies of a SSD. At first, I attempted to do what is known as an “xcopy” which will make an exact copy however it will not copy the following files along with the error...
  9. Having a huge difficulty copying an SSD to transfer to another PC to swap out PC's.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having a huge difficulty copying an SSD to transfer to another PC to swap out PC's.: This is a comprehensive list of all the things that I have tried to make full copies of a SSD. At first, I attempted to do what is known as an “xcopy” which will make an exact copy however it will not copy the following files along with the error...
  10. Having a huge difficulty copying an SSD to transfer to another PC to swap out PC's.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade