Windows 10: Can I transfer my retail windows 10 to a new disk w/o having to start up the computer?

Discus and support Can I transfer my retail windows 10 to a new disk w/o having to start up the computer? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; TL;DR Due to bad data migration to my new ssd i can't boot up Windows and I want to reinstall it but since I cant login I cant use the method that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pyttipanda, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Can I transfer my retail windows 10 to a new disk w/o having to start up the computer?

TL;DR Due to bad data migration to my new ssd i can't boot up Windows and I want to reinstall it but since I cant login I cant use the method that I have heard of.

I recently bought an SSD to improve my performance and since I had enough storage on my old HDD to have it fit in my SSD I decided to migrate all data to the SSD using Samsungs migration tool, but apperantly I can't start up Windows and instead the BIOS pops up. It seems that some of the files for Windows didn't get to the new drive and because of that it wont start. I was thinking of reinstalling Windows 10 but all the research I have gone through says that you need to be logged in and use command prompt etc. etc.

I have Windows 10 home edition retailed.

:)

pyttipanda, Feb 4, 2019
  2. Andre Da Costa, Feb 4, 2019
  3. New Compute, Windows 10 (upgrade) Activation Transfer

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

Also see if you can reactivate using chat support:

Andre Da Costa, Feb 4, 2019
  4. Can I transfer my retail windows 10 to a new disk w/o having to start up the computer?

transfer windows 10 to new pc?

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Feb 4, 2019
Thema:

Can I transfer my retail windows 10 to a new disk w/o having to start up the computer?

1. Can I transfer my retail windows 10 to a new disk w/o having to start up the computer? - Similar Threads - transfer retail disk

2. How can I transfer my retail Windows 10 license from my old computer to my new computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I transfer my retail Windows 10 license from my old computer to my new computer?: When I built my computer in 2018 I purchased a retail license directly from Microsoft to run windows. I have now built a new computer and disconnected the old computer. I had confirmed that my License was a Digital License linked to my Microsoft Account.I have read in...
  3. How can I transfer my retail Windows 10 license from my old computer to my new computer?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I transfer my retail Windows 10 license from my old computer to my new computer?: When I built my computer in 2018 I purchased a retail license directly from Microsoft to run windows. I have now built a new computer and disconnected the old computer. I had confirmed that my License was a Digital License linked to my Microsoft Account.I have read in...
  4. How can I transfer my retail Windows 10 license from my old computer to my new computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version: need to move windows 10 from Mac to a new one. It is a retail copy - is there a simple way of doing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-computer-retail-version/191c7e13-ac27-4ba8-a997-191c9610e2a7
  6. transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version: need to move windows 10 from Mac to a new one. It is a retail copy - is there a simple way of doing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-10-to-new-computer-retail-version/191c7e13-ac27-4ba8-a997-191c9610e2a7
  7. transfer windows 10 to new computer -retail version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    transferring licensed retail version of Windows 10 to a new computer: I have a full licensed retail version of Windows 10 on my old computer. Full details please of how this ma[y be transferred to my new computer. Am not an IT guru so need details of where to access the old Product key Many thanks Charlie #&...
  9. Reinstall Windows 10 on new hard drive w/o recovery disk

Reinstall Windows 10 on new hard drive w/o recovery disk: I replaced hard drive and don't have a recovery disk. How can I reinstall Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-10-on-new-hard-drive-wo-recovery/403a8967-753c-460d-9899-1cfce2f30cbc
  10. Windows 10 Cloning / transfer to new hardware w/o reformat?

Windows 10 Cloning / transfer to new hardware w/o reformat?: Hi all, Pardon the rambling nature of this post. Also, yes, I do know I could just do a full reinstall...maybe? OK, explanation - my brother's desktop is dead. All signs point to the motherboard as it restarts constantly and randomly within 30 seconds to 2 minutes after...