Windows 10: Can I transfer my Windows 10 upgrade licence to new PC build?

Discus and support Can I transfer my Windows 10 upgrade licence to new PC build? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am sure this question has been asked before, but the answer to it seems really complicated and seems to change depending on the exact situation. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GulliverThoday, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Can I transfer my Windows 10 upgrade licence to new PC build?

I am sure this question has been asked before, but the answer to it seems really complicated and seems to change depending on the exact situation.

My situation is this, I have had the same PC since 2012, on to which I installed Windows 7 Pro from a store bought DVD with OEM code. I have since done the free upgrade to Windows 10 64bit. I would now like to build a completely new PC and start with a fresh install of Windows 10 on new hardware (mobo, processor and drives). Can I use my Windows 7 OEM to activate Windows 10 on my new machine? Will it be able to activate the 64bit version like I have now?

I have read some things about a "one time transfer" being permitted, but they always talk about "unused" versions of Windows 7 or 8, and mine has been used of course, so I am not rly sure whether I can transfer this.

If I can transfer how exactly is that logged by Microsoft? Must I dis-activate my old version of Windows 10 in some way (the old PC is "going in the bin" so to speak so I won't try to run the two versions simultaneously).

Thanks you.

:)

GulliverThoday, Dec 5, 2018
  2. NayAung Win User

Windows 10 Pro licence transfer to another PC

My current desktop PC has Windows 10 Pro installed. It was upgraded from its predecessor, Windows 7 Pro. However, it will be scrapped soon as I'm building a gaming PC now.

How do I transfer the Windows 10 Pro to my new gaming PC? What are the technical steps as Win 10 doesn't seem to have the licence key?

Thank you.

NayAung, Dec 5, 2018
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Dec 5, 2018
  4. neilpzz Win User

Can I transfer my Windows 10 upgrade licence to new PC build?

Transfer Windows 10 Licence from Old/Dead Computer to New Computer

Depends on the licence you have. How did you get your Windows 10 licence, was it via the free upgrade and was the previous system installed by the manufacturer = OEM.

OEM licences cannot be transferred, generally but recent posts suggest MS is allowing some transfers.

Retail boxed licence can be transferred to a new device.

New motherboard = new device.

neilpzz, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Can I transfer my Windows 10 upgrade licence to new PC build?

1. Can I transfer my Windows 10 upgrade licence to new PC build? - Similar Threads - transfer upgrade licence

2. Transfer a licence to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer a licence to new PC: I have a windows licence that I bought for an old pc that I have scrapped. I have another pc and wish to install Windows. Is it possible to deactivate my licence on the old PC that I no longer have so that I can use it again?...
  3. Transfer a licence to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer a licence to new PC: I have a windows licence that I bought for an old pc that I have scrapped. I have another pc and wish to install Windows. Is it possible to deactivate my licence on the old PC that I no longer have so that I can use it again?...
  4. Transfer a licence to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can I transfer my Pro licence to my new computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I transfer my Pro licence to my new computer?: I have bought a new computer with pre-installed Windows 11 Home, directly from Acer. My old computer HP does not work anymore, but it was running a pre-installed Windows 10 Pro. Both the old and the new computer are registered in my Microsoft account. Can I transfer the Pro...
  6. Building a new pc, can I transfer license?

Building a new pc, can I transfer license?: I am building a completely new pc. I have a digital license and its a volume license as well. Does this mean that if I use a bootable usb stick, I will be able to transfer the license as I normally would?...
  7. Can I transfer my Windows 10 Education license to a new PC build?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I transfer my Windows 10 Education license to a new PC build?: Hi everyone, I'm building a new computer for myself (switching from Ivy Bridge to Ryzen 5 3600) but I don't want to shell out on a new copy of Windows 10. Can I transfer my Windows 10 Education license to my new PC or is this particular version not eligible? Thanks in...
  8. Can I transfer Windows 10 licence ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I transfer Windows 10 licence ?: I am buying new PC in 2 days and I want to know If I can transfer my licence from laptop to the new PC. I have W10 education edition. Thanks. submitted by /u/tommyldo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e8q0lp/can_i_transfer_windows_10_licence/
  9. Transfering a licence to my upgraded PC

Transfering a licence to my upgraded PC: Hi, I've recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU. I read a bit about the licensing stuff before I upgraded and came to the conclusion that my license is connected to my Microsoft account and that the troubleshoot option will fix my problem. The problem is it didn't and...
  10. Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC?: Hi, I bought a laptop 5 years ago which came with win 8.1 OEM installed. I did the free upgrade to win 10 home when this came available. I have built my own PC with new components, but I'm aware that I can't transfer the win 10 home license as it is OEM and linked to the...