Windows 10: Can I transfer software from Vista to Win 10 via flash drive?

Discus and support Can I transfer software from Vista to Win 10 via flash drive? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have The Encyclopedia of Religion (pub'd 1990s) on a Vista laptop. I tried to use its CD to install it on my Windows 10 laptop (Dell Inspiron 5755),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KendraCB, Dec 4, 2016.

1. KendraCB Win User

Can I transfer software from Vista to Win 10 via flash drive?

I have The Encyclopedia of Religion (pub'd 1990s) on a Vista laptop. I tried to use its CD to install it on my Windows 10 laptop (Dell Inspiron 5755), which has a disk drive, but the computer would not accept the program, it couldn't be installed. Is it possible for me to transfer the program with a flash drive, or will it just not work at all with Win 10? I had tried to add it to the Program files, but it required administrator permission, so I waited to learn more. In the meantime I placed it on the Desktop but did not try to open it. This encyclopedia is in a new edition now and expensive, so I would like to use it on the new laptop.

:)

KendraCB, Dec 4, 2016

2. Picture Transfer from Vista to Win 10 via flashdrive

I have a HP tower running vista. I want to transfer pictures to my new tower with win 10. I tried to copy photos to flash drive and then to win 10 and seemed to work but nothing appeared (tried several times). I have found there is software available to
    allow file transfer from vista to win 10 but what if i just put the pictures on my win 7 tower and update to win 10? Would the pictures transfer over? Could I transfer those photos to another win 10 machine and they would appear?

scottishlion, Dec 4, 2016
  3. Picture Transfer from Vista to Win 10 via flashdrive

Hi Scottishlion,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would like to inform you that transferring files from one computer has almost nothing to do with what versions of Windows are on the two computers. There are several approaches to doing this. Which is best for you mostly depends on how much data you have
    to transfer. Here are some choices:

1. Transfer them on CD/DVD.

2. E-mail them from the old machine and read the E-mail on the new one.

3. Network the two computers, and just copy the files over the network.

4. Temporarily (or even permanently) install the old computer's hard drive in the new computer and just copy them over.

5. Use a USB thumb drive.

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Dec 4, 2016
  4. sml156 Win User

sml156, Dec 4, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    It depends on the program. Some are self contained, usually referred to as portable. Some rely upon installed or installing components into the Windows OS to operate. Nothing to lose by just trying to run the program from it's folder copied over. If it isn't self-contained it will either complain it needs some component installed or just crash.

NavyLCDR, Dec 4, 2016
  6. KendraCB Win User
    Thanks! I am a bit phobic about trying unfamiliar things...

KendraCB, Dec 4, 2016
  7. KendraCB Win User
    KendraCB, Dec 4, 2016
  8. Kari Win User

Just a thought: OP mentions in first post that the program is from 90's, which strongly hints that it's a 16 bit program.

If OP runs a 64 bit Windows 10, it might be impossible to get a legacy 16 bit program to run in it. Even 32 bit Windows 10 might have issues with such old programs.

Kari, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I transfer software from Vista to Win 10 via flash drive? - Similar Threads - transfer software Vista

2. Transfer photos to a flash drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Transfer photos to a flash drive: I made some photo albums in the Windows 10 photos section. How do I select the albums and then transfer them onto a flash drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-photos-to-a-flash-drive/368d08ba-794d-4026-bdd5-304109ec2af0
  3. transfer picture from one drive to flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer picture from one drive to flash drive: Transfer pictures from one drive to flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-picture-from-one-drive-to-flash-drive/1922bad8-dc8b-4c70-a802-7d34281e6bec
  4. Transfer Files ONLY from Win 7 to Win 10 via USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer Files ONLY from Win 7 to Win 10 via USB drive: I know this has been addressed in some variations, but I want to make sure, because I'll do it remotely for a friend in another state... Transfer to be done via external USB drive, files are mainly Outlook and other Office files, Quickbooks files. My guess (didn't have a W7...
  5. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 from Vista?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I upgrade to Windows 10 from Vista?: Can i upgrade to windows 10 from win vista * Moved from Community Participation Center * Original title: upgrade to win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-upgrade-to-windows-10-from-vista/4690256c-c22f-4f71-8fd1-463954176ccf
  6. Transfer File from CD to Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer File from CD to Flash Drive: I have an instructional CD that is audio / video that I need to transfer to a flash drive as computer has not a CD Drive [Original Title: file transfer]...
  7. Transfer of emails to flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer of emails to flash drive: I have set up the POP mail account managed by my ISP in my Windows Mail app and have kept a large number of old emails there. Now my ISP is telling me that I am running out of the storage capacity allocated to me and I need to pay extra to increase the storage space. Since...
  8. transfer all data from vista to windows 10

transfer all data from vista to windows 10: Hi . I have been running vista. now I have a new computer a Dell with windows 10 pre installed. I have made a full back up to an external hard drive from my old vista and would like to transfer all that data from the external hard drive to the new windows 10...
  9. transferring files from win 7 os to win 10 os via a utililty how can this be done?

transferring files from win 7 os to win 10 os via a utililty how can this be done?: my first computer was a windows 7 with backup monthly even weekly but after a couple of years I can't access the files and pictures also music files I would like to transfer these files to my new computer with windows 10 OS and I need help * Moved from Edge...
  10. transferring a movie to a flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    transferring a movie to a flash drive: Hi. I have a movie I converted to an MP4 file and want to move it to a USB flash drive. The file is a little over 5gb and the drive is 32mb. I get a message that the file is too large for the destination which is not possible. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you. 103489