Windows 10: Can I transfer Windows to a new drive, but keep some files on another drive?

Discus and support Can I transfer Windows to a new drive, but keep some files on another drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I purchased a Samsung SSD with the intent to transfer Windows to it, and keep my games on the hard drive. When I started looking on the internet, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ys1219, May 22, 2020.

1. ys1219 Win User

Can I transfer Windows to a new drive, but keep some files on another drive?

I purchased a Samsung SSD with the intent to transfer Windows to it, and keep my games on the hard drive. When I started looking on the internet, I only found things about transferring everything over, but I just want to transfer Windows. The SSD I bought is a 120gb drive, but i already used 200+ gigs on my HDD. Is there a way that I can just transfer over Windows without any other files?

:)

ys1219, May 22, 2020
  2. LonGun Win User

Need Help Files Transfer

I have a computer running Windows XP Home Edition. That computer has two internal HDDs:

The 1st HDD is C:\ that running Windows. And it has 20GB total of capacity.
    The 2nd HDD is D:\ that is empty. And it has 90GB total of capacity.

The C:\ drive is almost run out of space (full). Is there a way I can transfer everything in the C:\ drive to the D:\ drive and begin to use the D:\ drive from there on as primary drive?
    Can the Windows Files Transfer feature in XP transfer everything I have in C:\ to D:\? If it cannot, then which way can I use to perform the above step?

Thank you.

LonGun, May 22, 2020
  3. exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, May 22, 2020
  4. Can I transfer Windows to a new drive, but keep some files on another drive?

How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, May 22, 2020
Thema:

Can I transfer Windows to a new drive, but keep some files on another drive?

1. Can I transfer Windows to a new drive, but keep some files on another drive? - Similar Threads - transfer drive keep

2. can i transfer files from a c drive to d drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i transfer files from a c drive to d drive: can i transfer files from a c drive to d drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-transfer-files-from-a-c-drive-to-d-drive/8d0460ac-5cfe-47b9-bfe4-2b64b76f0b19
  3. can i transfer files from a c drive to d drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i transfer files from a c drive to d drive: can i transfer files from a c drive to d drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-transfer-files-from-a-c-drive-to-d-drive/8d0460ac-5cfe-47b9-bfe4-2b64b76f0b19
  4. can i transfer files from a c drive to d drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another: Hello,I am in a unique situation where I had to remove my hard drive from my windows computer. All the contents of that hard drive now lives in a locally shared folder space dropbox. I now would like to copy the contents of the old hard drive now on dropbox to another hard...
  6. How can I transfer windows from one drive to another?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I transfer windows from one drive to another?: I recently got an NVMe drive 970 Evo Plus 2 TB and want to make it my new boot drive since it's supposed to be much faster than my current SATA based ssd. Most of the help guides I've found assume an old drive died and there isn't a working copy of windows on the machine, not...
  7. Transfer files & Windows 10 Pro to another hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer files & Windows 10 Pro to another hard drive?: I apologize if this is the wrong sub! Basically, my Windows 10 Pro and some other personal files are on a smaller SSD, and I just bought a bigger SSD. Is there a way for me to transfer my Windows 10 Pro OS from the smaller SSD to the bigger SSD without having to reinstall...
  8. New Drive File Transfer

New Drive File Transfer: I want to use a different drive for my PC but don't know how I'm going to move everything back in. Can someone help with that? Also, does it take out all my drivers?...
  9. Transferring windows from 1 drive to another

Transferring windows from 1 drive to another: Hello, I have recently bought a Samsung 860 evo 500gb and I wanted to know if i could transfer windows and all its files to the Samsung 860 evo from my current 250gb ssd, without having to buy a new windows license. Thank you for your help!...
  10. Transfer Windows 10 to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows 10 to another hard drive: Hello! I have only 2 gb free space on my system drive, so I have a question. Is there a way to transfer working windows 10 system to another hard drive without reinstalling it?...