Windows 10: Can I transfer windows to a new hard drive when the old one is locked by a virus programme

Discus and support Can I transfer windows to a new hard drive when the old one is locked by a virus programme in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi allMy mother-in-law fell victim to a scam whereby they had her download a programme onto her laptop, after also emptying her bank account. That... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bluetoffee12, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Can I transfer windows to a new hard drive when the old one is locked by a virus programme

Hi allMy mother-in-law fell victim to a scam whereby they had her download a programme onto her laptop, after also emptying her bank account. That programme has locked the laptop and the repair store says they cannot get past it to recover the drive. If I replaced the hard drive is there a way to re-install windows using her old licence, with no access to the old drive, or do I have to buy her a new licence?

:)

bluetoffee12, Jul 23, 2021
  2. xarzu Win User

new system old hard drive...

I have an old hard drive that has those old ribbon connections to transfer data to the mother board.

I have a new computer that mostly uses those cool little ATA (I think that is what they are called) connections.

The new computer has a Vista OS.

I opened up the case and I was supprised to see on the motherboard a wide ribbon connection and so I connected the old hard drive and a free power connection.

When I turned on the computer, the system started up like usual and did not notice the new hard drive.

I went to the Control Pannel and did an automatic add hard drive call and it did not find the old hard drive.

Any suggestions?

xarzu, Jul 23, 2021
  3. little cat, Jul 23, 2021
  4. Can I transfer windows to a new hard drive when the old one is locked by a virus programme

Transferring old Hard Drive to New Computer?

I just bought a new computer, and was wondering if I could simply transfer my old hard drive to the new PC. FYI, my old computer was a Dell Dimension 8300, Windows XP, with an 80GB HD. My new computer is a custom Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition, Vista Home Premium 64, with a 1TB HD. Basically:

(1) If I physically remove the old Dell HD and put it in the new computer, will I be able to access my files?

(2) Will I be able to boot from the Windows XP operating system installed on the old HD? (And not compromise my ability to alternatively boot from Vista 64 on the new HD)?

(3) Can I copy the contents of the old HD to an external HD and achieve the result in #2?

Any advice would be appreciated!

diamondrajoor, Jul 23, 2021
Thema:

Can I transfer windows to a new hard drive when the old one is locked by a virus programme

1. Can I transfer windows to a new hard drive when the old one is locked by a virus programme - Similar Threads - transfer hard drive

2. Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another: Hello,I am in a unique situation where I had to remove my hard drive from my windows computer. All the contents of that hard drive now lives in a locally shared folder space dropbox. I now would like to copy the contents of the old hard drive now on dropbox to another hard...
  3. Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another: Hello,I am in a unique situation where I had to remove my hard drive from my windows computer. All the contents of that hard drive now lives in a locally shared folder space dropbox. I now would like to copy the contents of the old hard drive now on dropbox to another hard...
  4. Transferring Windows to one Hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?: I have a laptop that came with Windows preinstalled. I recently bought a SSD to replace the HDD with, but I don't have any ability to clone the old hard drive to the new. I have all the files I need, but I don't want to have to buy Windows again. Is it possible to transfer...
  6. How can I clone my old hard drive to a new hard drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I clone my old hard drive to a new hard drive?: How can I clone my old laptop hard drive to a new hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-clone-my-old-hard-drive-to-a-new-hard/cd9498d2-e379-40c0-aef4-42328b6c428a
  7. Transfer old hard disk to new computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer old hard disk to new computer?: Hello, I would like to transfer my HDD with Windows and all games to my new PC (different CPU, different board and RAM), because the game installations take hours with my internet. Can I take over this without problems or do the drivers overlap? Alte Festplatte in neuen...
  8. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  9. failing hard drive with os on it, can it be saved or transfered to a new drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    failing hard drive with os on it, can it be saved or transfered to a new drive?: i have two installs of windows on my computer. this happened after my original version crashed on an update, and was unrecoverable. so the version i have running now is on a hard drive i am getting a message indicating is about to fail. not sure how to save my system......
  10. transfer one hard drive to another?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer one hard drive to another?: How to I transfer One Hard drive to another? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-one-hard-drive-to-another/0999f86b-9ea6-439b-84b4-e510b8a0e59a"