Windows 10: Can I turn off my HDD as only needed for storage

Discus and support Can I turn off my HDD as only needed for storage in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi guys, I installed an SSD and use it for everything and keep my HDD installed just for storage of photos and videos. Is there a way to turn off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JTmon3y, Jul 3, 2019.

1. JTmon3y Win User

Can I turn off my HDD as only needed for storage

Hi guys,

I installed an SSD and use it for everything and keep my HDD installed just for storage of photos and videos. Is there a way to turn off the HDD so it does not even power on during startup and when opening file explorer? I don't need to access the storage very often.

Thanks

:)

JTmon3y, Jul 3, 2019
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 3, 2019
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jul 3, 2019
  4. Louie Del Win User

Data Storage

Hi,

If the hard disk drive (HDD) that was set as your preferred storage when saving files isn’t working, it’s possible that a software conflict occurred or the HDD encountered an issue. To isolate your concern with your
    device storage, we’d like to ask the questions below:

• Did you make any other changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you encountered an error message when you tried saving or moving files to your HDD? If yes, please provide us a
      screenshot.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we recommend that you start your PC in safe mode.
    This will help us determine if there are third-party applications that may cause the issue. Once you’re in the basic state, try to move or save a file to the HDD and check the result.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested step.

Louie Del, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Can I turn off my HDD as only needed for storage - Similar Threads - turn off HDD

2. turn off cloud storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    turn off cloud storage: How can I stop One drive storage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-cloud-storage/1090baee-cb62-4aeb-b502-50463b850bba
  3. turn off cloud storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    turn off cloud storage: How can I stop One drive storage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-cloud-storage/1090baee-cb62-4aeb-b502-50463b850bba
  4. Turn old HDD into storage device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn old HDD into storage device: So I got a new SSD for my HP Compaq DC7900 Small Form Factor. Yes its old i know. So I cloned all of the old data from my harddrive to my SSD. Took me a while but I eventually figured that by unplugging my HDD and leaving just my SSD will make my computer boot up from the...
  5. Turn old HDD into storage device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn old HDD into storage device: So I got a new SSD for my HP Compaq DC7900 Small Form Factor. Yes its old i know. So I cloned all of the old data from my harddrive to my SSD. Took me a while but I eventually figured that by unplugging my HDD and leaving just my SSD will make my computer boot up from the...
  6. Turn old HDD into storage device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. HDD disappearing every time I turn off my PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD disappearing every time I turn off my PC: I built my first desktop pc just a few weeks ago, I installed two m.2 nvme ssd and one HDD, and every time I turn off my PC the next time I turn it on the HDD dissapears and I have to assign it again loosing all the data on it. I verified the healt of the HDD and even tried...
  8. Can I turn my External HDD off and on to prevent a ransom attack?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can I turn my External HDD off and on to prevent a ransom attack?: I usually leave my external back up drive disconnected except on Sundays when it's backing up. Frequent plugging and unplugging is probably going to cause a problem at some point, plus I have to remember to do it. If I disable in Device Manager is it disabled enough that...
  9. switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off

switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off: OK, with installing the new OS old issues come back to life. Here goes the question: can one have a physical switch somewhere on the PC case that can turn a single drive (HDD or SSD) on and off? I did search the internet before posting and several solutions exist, but...
  10. Secondary HDD not turning off

Secondary HDD not turning off: Hey guys, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday and so far everything works great, the only problem is that my secondary HDD always stays on. I have a 128GB SSD as my main drive and an 750GB HDD as my secondary drive for games, pictures and stuff. Since the...