Windows 10: Can I upgrade from a 2nd to a 3rd generation Intel CPU?

Discus and support Can I upgrade from a 2nd to a 3rd generation Intel CPU? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! Recently I changed my laptop's CPU from Intel Core i7-2670QM to Core i7-2860QM. But recently, I've read some threads about people that have changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rasikreality, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Can I upgrade from a 2nd to a 3rd generation Intel CPU?

Hi!
    Recently I changed my laptop's CPU from Intel Core i7-2670QM to Core i7-2860QM. But recently, I've read some threads about people that have changed its CPU between different generations. I know it's physically imposible to put a 4th or higher generation Intel processor on my motherboard because of the socket shape but, as far as I'm concerned, Sandy and Ivy Bridge have the same shape.
    I've read, too, that a BIOS update would be necessary in case of upgrading to a new gen processor, but I know cases where it hasn't been necessary.
    I'm not posting this for you to warn me about how dangerous it is to open a laptop and all that. I've done it a thousand times and I know how to do it (I write this because, in all the threads I've read about this stuff, the answers were more like the type of ''if you do this you're going to kill your laptop, your mamma and the president!!!'' instead of answering the real question).
    These are the weapons I have:
    - Intel Core i7-2860QM working like a charm.
    - Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 165A.
    - BIOS InsydeH2O Version 03.60.48F.1B (it's modified so it has no whitelist, unloked advanced menus and all that).
    I'd like to know if my laptop would work as good as it does now with a 3rd gen. Intel and, to be even more adventurous, if it would work with a 2nd or 3rd gen Xeon processor.
    Thank you in advance for your help!
    I'll wait for your advice!
    Can I upgrade from a 2nd to a 3rd generation Intel CPU? :)

:)

rasikreality, Feb 6, 2021
  2. User13456 Win User

Cannot load Windows 10 under Intel HD Graphics Family Driver with Intel 2nd Generation CPU

Hi,

I found I have a PC with Intel HD Graphics Family Driver with Intel 2nd Generation CPU. It works fine on Windows 7 - 64 bit. But it cannot load into windows either in normal mode or safe mode after get latest windows updates. Please help.

BR

User

User13456, Feb 6, 2021
  3. btarunr Win User
    X-ES Supports 3rd Generation Intel Core i7 Processor Across Product Line

Extreme Engineering Solutions, Inc. (X-ES) is supporting the 3rd generation Intel Core i7 processor across eight industry-standard form factors -- COM Express, 3U VPX, 6U VPX, 3U CompactPCI, 6U CompactPCI, VME, air-cooled PrPMC/XMC, and conduction-cooled PrPMC/XMC. The XPedite7470 3U VPX Single Board Computer (SBC) and XCalibur4401 6U CompactPCI SBC are the first products available from X-ES to support the 3rd generation Intel Core i7 processor.

3rd generation Intel Core i7 processors provide higher performance and lower power compared to 2nd generation Intel Core i7 processors. 3rd generation Intel Core i7 processors also include Intel HD Graphics with DirectX 11, supporting OpenGL 3.1 and OpenCL 1.1.

Can I upgrade from a 2nd to a 3rd generation Intel CPU? 232a_thm.jpg

Can I upgrade from a 2nd to a 3rd generation Intel CPU? 232b_thm.jpg

Initially, X-ES products are available with these versions of the 3rd generation Intel Core i7 processor:
    • Quad-core Intel Core i7-3615QE, 2.3GHz
    • Quad-core Intel Core i7-3612QE, 2.1GHz
    When dual-core versions of 3rd generation Intel Core i7 processors become available, they will be supported on X-ES products.

Because of the lower power consumption of the 3rd generation Intel Core i7 processors, quad-core 3rd generation Intel Core i7 processors are more easily supported in conduction-cooled applications. As with all Intel processors used in X-ES designs, the 3rd generation Intel Core i7 processors are on Intel's embedded roadmap, guaranteeing at least seven years of availability for our customers.

For more information, visit the data-sheets of XPedite 7470, XCalibur 4401, and the product page.

btarunr, Feb 6, 2021
  4. peche Win User

Can I upgrade from a 2nd to a 3rd generation Intel CPU?

peche, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

Can I upgrade from a 2nd to a 3rd generation Intel CPU?

1. Can I upgrade from a 2nd to a 3rd generation Intel CPU? - Similar Threads - upgrade 2nd 3rd

2. When will the Intel Generation 11 CPU hold on the Install of 22H2 be resolved?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will the Intel Generation 11 CPU hold on the Install of 22H2 be resolved?: I have 2 computers with the Intel 11th Generation CPU and both are in hold for installation to Windows 11 22H2. Apparently there is a driver issue with the CPU that conflicts with 22H@ and Microsoft has decided to not install until the issue is resolved. After an extensive...
  3. When will the Intel Generation 11 CPU hold on the Install of 22H2 be resolved?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When will the Intel Generation 11 CPU hold on the Install of 22H2 be resolved?: I have 2 computers with the Intel 11th Generation CPU and both are in hold for installation to Windows 11 22H2. Apparently there is a driver issue with the CPU that conflicts with 22H@ and Microsoft has decided to not install until the issue is resolved. After an extensive...
  4. Compatible OS for Intel i5 3rd generation laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compatible OS for Intel i5 3rd generation laptop: I own a Dell Inspiron 5520 laptop which came with pre-installed Windows 7. However recently the OS got corrupted and I had no other choice than to reinstall it. I misplaced the CD though I have my activation key but couldn't get the Windows 7 download and hence has resorted...
  5. Compatible OS for Intel i5 3rd generation laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compatible OS for Intel i5 3rd generation laptop: I own a Dell Inspiron 5520 laptop which came with pre-installed Windows 7. However recently the OS got corrupted and I had no other choice than to reinstall it. I misplaced the CD though I have my activation key but couldn't get the Windows 7 download and hence has resorted...
  6. Is it worth upgrading from intel core i5 3rd gen to i5 10th gen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it worth upgrading from intel core i5 3rd gen to i5 10th gen?: I want to upgrade my cpu but I don’t know if i5 10th gen is worth it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-worth-upgrading-from-intel-core-i5-3rd-gen/3ed555e9-93cf-47f5-8c66-a7c003e97dca
  7. Cannot load Windows 10 under Intel HD Graphics Family Driver with Intel 2nd Generation CPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot load Windows 10 under Intel HD Graphics Family Driver with Intel 2nd Generation CPU: Hi, I found I have a PC with Intel HD Graphics Family Driver with Intel 2nd Generation CPU. It works fine on Windows 7 - 64 bit. But it cannot load into windows either in normal mode or safe mode after get latest windows updates. Please help. BR User...
  8. Can the CPU be upgraded?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can the CPU be upgraded?: hi, I like to know if my laptop's CPU can be upgraded. Spec. Intel iCore i5-7265U 1.6GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz. NVIDIA GeForce MX250 with 2GB VRAM. 16GB of ram....
  9. What intel processor generation is this?

What intel processor generation is this?: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3700 @ 1.60GHZ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-intel-processor-generation-is-this/d68262d3-932b-4adc-8949-801f3933ab10
  10. 2nd and 3rd monitors freezing

2nd and 3rd monitors freezing: I'm on the latest Windows 10 version. At random times (normally after leaving the computer in sleep mode) my 2nd and 3rd monitors freeze up, resulting in static images of what's there. I can still (somewhat) do things on them, but they mostly remain frozen. For example, I...