Windows 10: Can I upgrade my boot disk?

Discus and support Can I upgrade my boot disk? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a PC where the boot disk is about a third of the size of my secondary disk, is there any way to upgrade the boot disk, or replace it if it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/captainfactj, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Can I upgrade my boot disk?

I have a PC where the boot disk is about a third of the size of my secondary disk, is there any way to upgrade the boot disk, or replace it if it starts to run down, without buying a new copy of Windows?

1TB base/3TB base if anyone was wondering.

actually maybe I shouldn't delete this but I kinda found an answer in that I could make a recovery drive on my other hard drive but I'm not sure if that would work

submitted by /u/captainfactj
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/captainfactj, Apr 9, 2021
  2. geotso Win User

Can't safely remove external disk

In reference to the steps of your suggestions:

• The issue is specific to the particular disk and it started after I've used the disk to save the System image backup (created with the Control Panel > File History tool).
    • I didn't disable any windows Service. I'm just wondering if there is any to disable.
    • Safe boot with networking, or clean boot doesn't resolve the issue.

Thank you.

geotso, Apr 9, 2021
  3. Suupala Win User
    Disk boot failure after removing old Vista partition

Thank you for the reply, muchomurka! As I indicated in my post, I have already tried all the steps you suggested to no avail:

- I cannot choose startup repair since the computer does not boot from the installation media
    - I cannot use command prompt since the computer does not boot further than the POST screen
    - I have disconnected and tried out all hard drives individually.

Since I had Win 10 up and running a few hours ago, I can say with 100% certainty that none of the hardware is faulty.

The real mystery is, how come the system won't boot from any media without an empty disk containing an old Vista boot sector being on top of the boot priority list? And which steps to take now that I've cleaned this disk and it does not exist anymore?

Would appreciate any ideas and pointers!

Suupala, Apr 9, 2021
  4. Can I upgrade my boot disk?

How to make a flash drive boot disk?

I still suggest Ultimate Boot CD, I have the link a few posts back. You can boot to DOS and run the flashing utilities right off your hard disk, it's safer too because you don't have to worry about a corrupt floppy.

Polaris573, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

Can I upgrade my boot disk?

1. Can I upgrade my boot disk? - Similar Threads - upgrade boot disk

2. Can I use a boot disk without a windows password?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use a boot disk without a windows password?: Was trying to solve high system power usage problem and disabled windows systems in msconfig window. Now when I restart I get the "pin not found" error message and can't log in. When I go to bios startup, every repair option asks for a windows password but it doesn't work...
  3. Can I use a boot disk without a windows password?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use a boot disk without a windows password?: Was trying to solve high system power usage problem and disabled windows systems in msconfig window. Now when I restart I get the "pin not found" error message and can't log in. When I go to bios startup, every repair option asks for a windows password but it doesn't work...
  4. Can I use a boot disk without a windows password?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. Can I sell a windows boot disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I sell a windows boot disk?: I have an Ebay store that sells recycled tech equipment. Recently somebody asked me if I could sell them a Windows boot disk. Is this legal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-sell-a-windows-boot-disk/d102717f-504e-444c-86a0-deae3018d33d
  6. Can I sell a windows boot disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I sell a windows boot disk?: I have an Ebay store that sells recycled tech equipment. Recently somebody asked me if I could sell them a Windows boot disk. Is this legal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-sell-a-windows-boot-disk/d102717f-504e-444c-86a0-deae3018d33d
  7. Upgraded with Media Tool, no boot disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded with Media Tool, no boot disk: Hi, Itried to upgrade keeping files and apps using the media creation tool. After doing its thing and restarting a couple of times, it would not start on the third start up, saying there is no boot disc. I inserted a bootable USB drive and was told that an upgrade is in...
  8. How can I backup a disk with a live boot of linux?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How can I backup a disk with a live boot of linux?: I'm pretty sure I'd done this maybe 15 years ago but I'd forgotten how to do it. I have an external hard drive which was reading, kinda spotty, when connected, it would drop in and out. So, I took it out of the enclosure. Before that, though my drive fell on the ground, then...
  9. Can i use a ipad as a boot disk

Can i use a ipad as a boot disk: can you download windows 10 on a ipad and then plug the ipad into the computer and then boot into windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-a-ipad-as-a-boot-disk/9940b493-f142-49b6-a716-bfe989d5b004
  10. Upgrade primary disk on dual boot system

Upgrade primary disk on dual boot system: Having this system Ryzen 2600X@3.8Ghz, ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS, 2x16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Dual-X w Boost 3GB, Kfa2 GTX 1070 EX 8GB, Crucial MX300 275GB (Windows 10Pro), Crucial MX500 500GB (Kubuntu 18.04 LTS), TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB, Fractal...