Windows 10: Can I upgrade my laptop's processor?

Discus and support Can I upgrade my laptop's processor? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've recently noticed that my 2011 Toshiba Satellite L755-S5214 gets up to a CPU temperature of around 70°C, which isn't good. It currently has an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hyp3rDeath101, May 15, 2019 at 5:07 PM.

1. Can I upgrade my laptop's processor?

I've recently noticed that my 2011 Toshiba Satellite L755-S5214 gets up to a CPU temperature of around 70°C, which isn't good. It currently has an i3-2310M, with a maximum operating temperature of 85°C. I'm thinking of upgrading to an i7-2710QE, which is a quad-core processor with a maximum operating temperature of 100°C. I can easily control the maximum processor speed using the power plan settings, but I'm not sure if this processor will be compatible. Is this processor compatible with my laptop? Also, what is the difference between 32 nm processors and 22 nm processors?

Link to compare the processors: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=53472,52220

:)

Hyp3rDeath101, May 15, 2019 at 5:07 PM
  2. n-ster Win User
  3. silkstone Win User
    Possible to upgrade laptop?

Hi guys,

I'm running the laptop in my sig, but it is starting to feel a little underpowered for some tasks. I was wondering whether it would be possible to upgrade to something like a i7-740m proccessor?

My laptop specs are in the link here

as you can see, there are different models with different processors, so even though mine is a 330M, one would assume it could be changed to any of those other cpus listed, correct?

the 740m is not listed and has a power draw of 45w (over 35w for my i3) would this be a problem?

Any advice is appreciated

4. btarunr Win User

Can I upgrade my laptop's processor?

Intel Gives Core i3 and Core i5 Dual-Core Processors K0 Stepping Update

Intel is giving some existing 32 nm "Clarkdale" based Core i3 and Core i5 processors an update. The processors will transition to the new K0 stepping from the existing C2 stepping. The parts that will be made on the K0 silicon are Core i3 models 530 (new sSPEC: SLBX7), 540 (new sSPEC: SLBTD) and Core i5 models 650 (new sSPEC: SLBTJ), 660/661 (SLBTK/SLBTB), 670 (SLBTL). Newer and upcoming models such as the i3-550, i3-560, i5-665K, and i5-680 are already being built on the K0 stepping die. Motherboards will require a BIOS update to support the new K0 stepping processors.

The K0 stepping change includes the following highlights:
    • New S-spec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • Extended CPUID will change from 0x00020652 to 0x00020655
    • Host RevID will change from 0x12 to 0x18
    • K0 stepping package is pin compatible with C2 stepping package
    • Adds Processor Context ID (PCID) support
    The revised older SKUs that are built on K0 stepping will be market-available by October 16.

Thema:

Can I upgrade my laptop's processor?

1. Can I upgrade my laptop's processor? - Similar Threads - upgrade laptop's processor

2. I had a laptop with windows 10 pro , Can I use this license to upgrade my new laptop from...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I had a laptop with windows 10 pro , Can I use this license to upgrade my new laptop from...: Hi! I had a laptop with windows 10 pro and it was activated with digital license tied to my account. I still see the computer with its specs and os type on my account, now my question is, can I use this license to upgrade my new laptop that came with windows home to pro since...
  3. Can I Replace My Laptop Fan?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can I Replace My Laptop Fan?: My Laptop is a 2015 Windows 10 HP BeatsAudio 8gb RAM and Pavilion 17. The fan has been roughly loud and annoying lately getting noisy for absolutely no reasons. No viruses and it has been cleaned thoroughly....
  4. How can I pair my laptop with the bluetooth that is in the laptop?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How can I pair my laptop with the bluetooth that is in the laptop?: How can I pair my laptop with the bluetooth that is in the laptop? Despite of having the followings, I can not pair them. Bluetooth Audio Gateway Service Service supporting the audio gateway role of the Bluetooth Handsfree Profile. Automatic (Trigger Start) Local System...
  5. can i copy my dvd's to my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i copy my dvd's to my laptop: instead of taking loads of dvd's on holiday i was wondering if i could download them to my laptop and if so how https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-windvd/can-i-copy-my-dvds-to-my-laptop/8945ad11-317d-48d1-9441-b3f4f1264c42
  6. WIN 10 - 32bit - I NEED to upgrade to 64bit - my processor is compatible.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIN 10 - 32bit - I NEED to upgrade to 64bit - my processor is compatible.: WIN 10 - 32bit - I NEED to upgrade to 64bit - my processor is compatible. What can I do and do I have to Pay for it, all over again??...
  7. I can not open Origin on my laptop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can not open Origin on my laptop.: I used to be able to easily access origin to play my downloaded games but now I can't access origin or my games. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but I still seem to be unable to open it. Every time I click on origin or the downloaded game in question, The Sims 4, I...
  8. Upgrading new processor

Upgrading new processor: Hello Forum. Its time for me to upgrade my processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor since the current one in my system is from 2008. It's almost a decade, and I'm quite happy with it, but now I need to upgrade it, since Im looking to do music recording, as I have...
  9. x64-based processor, but x86-based PC; can I upgrade to x64 bit?

in Windows 10 Support
    x64-based processor, but x86-based PC; can I upgrade to x64 bit?: Hi, I'm currently running a Windows 10 Pro PC with a 32-bit architecture. My processor allows for a x64 upgrade, but my system's information shows that my PC is x86 based. Can I still upgrade? I also have 6.00 gigabytes of ram, definitely enough for an upgrade. Thanks in...
  10. Can I upgrade?

Can I upgrade?: Ok., I have windows 7, I had a hard drive physical problem, so cloned my drive onto another larger faster drive. It is activated, but I get the message, this is not a varified microsoft product! Obviously it is. Can this be resolved in any way without having to purchase...