Windows 10: Can I upgrade my laptop's processor?

Discus and support Can I upgrade my laptop's processor? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've recently noticed that my 2011 Toshiba Satellite L755-S5214 gets up to a CPU temperature of around 70°C, which isn't good. It currently has an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hyp3rDeath101, May 15, 2019.

1. Can I upgrade my laptop's processor?

I've recently noticed that my 2011 Toshiba Satellite L755-S5214 gets up to a CPU temperature of around 70°C, which isn't good. It currently has an i3-2310M, with a maximum operating temperature of 85°C. I'm thinking of upgrading to an i7-2710QE, which is a quad-core processor with a maximum operating temperature of 100°C. I can easily control the maximum processor speed using the power plan settings, but I'm not sure if this processor will be compatible. Is this processor compatible with my laptop? Also, what is the difference between 32 nm processors and 22 nm processors?

Link to compare the processors: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=53472,52220

:)

Hyp3rDeath101, May 15, 2019
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, May 15, 2019
  3. silkstone Win User
    Possible to upgrade laptop?

Hi guys,

I'm running the laptop in my sig, but it is starting to feel a little underpowered for some tasks. I was wondering whether it would be possible to upgrade to something like a i7-740m proccessor?

My laptop specs are in the link here

as you can see, there are different models with different processors, so even though mine is a 330M, one would assume it could be changed to any of those other cpus listed, correct?

the 740m is not listed and has a power draw of 45w (over 35w for my i3) would this be a problem?

Any advice is appreciated

silkstone, May 15, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Can I upgrade my laptop's processor?

Intel Gives Core i3 and Core i5 Dual-Core Processors K0 Stepping Update

Intel is giving some existing 32 nm "Clarkdale" based Core i3 and Core i5 processors an update. The processors will transition to the new K0 stepping from the existing C2 stepping. The parts that will be made on the K0 silicon are Core i3 models 530 (new sSPEC: SLBX7), 540 (new sSPEC: SLBTD) and Core i5 models 650 (new sSPEC: SLBTJ), 660/661 (SLBTK/SLBTB), 670 (SLBTL). Newer and upcoming models such as the i3-550, i3-560, i5-665K, and i5-680 are already being built on the K0 stepping die. Motherboards will require a BIOS update to support the new K0 stepping processors.

The K0 stepping change includes the following highlights:
    • New S-spec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • Extended CPUID will change from 0x00020652 to 0x00020655
    • Host RevID will change from 0x12 to 0x18
    • K0 stepping package is pin compatible with C2 stepping package
    • Adds Processor Context ID (PCID) support
    The revised older SKUs that are built on K0 stepping will be market-available by October 16.

btarunr, May 15, 2019
Thema:

Can I upgrade my laptop's processor?

1. Can I upgrade my laptop's processor? - Similar Threads - upgrade laptop's processor

2. How do I know which processor and RAM is my laptop upgradable to?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I know which processor and RAM is my laptop upgradable to?: I have a HP laptop with IntelR CoreTM i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz, I want to upgrade the processor. But don't know which processor will be compatible with my laptop. How do I know which processor and RAM is my laptop upgradable to?...
  3. HP 14s laptop series can upgrade the processor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP 14s laptop series can upgrade the processor?: hi, I'm curious if the current HP 14s laptop series can upgrade the processor? my device is AMD Ryzen 3 3250u. sorry this is outside the discussion about microsoft* Moved from Community Center...
  4. HP 14s laptop series can upgrade the processor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP 14s laptop series can upgrade the processor?: hi, I'm curious if the current HP 14s laptop series can upgrade the processor? my device is AMD Ryzen 3 3250u. sorry this is outside the discussion about microsoft* Moved from Community Center...
  5. Can just the processor be upgraded

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can just the processor be upgraded: If processor not compatible for Windows 11, does it require a whole new mother board or can just the processor be upgraded? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-just-the-processor-be-upgraded/ca8b67d7-31e1-4e9a-8962-f41b948377b6
  6. Can just the processor be upgraded

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can just the processor be upgraded: If processor not compatible for Windows 11, does it require a whole new mother board or can just the processor be upgraded? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-just-the-processor-be-upgraded/ca8b67d7-31e1-4e9a-8962-f41b948377b6
  7. Can just the processor be upgraded

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Processor nogo Win11 upgrade - Upgrade processor?

Processor nogo Win11 upgrade - Upgrade processor?: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 I ran the MS Win11 hardware suitability tool. And my trusty, 3 year old Lenovo P50 failed--reason: processor. The machine's processor is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz Just curious... is it reasonable that a newer processor might be...
  9. My laptop processor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop processor: [ATTACH] when I shut down my windows and open it again I found out that my processor is still working even when my laptop is shutdown. how I can make this stop? cpu up time submitted by /u/ziad_king [link] [comments]...
  10. Processor upgrade

Processor upgrade: The board is a GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD. There is 32 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 288-Pin DDR4 memory. The SSD is MKNSSDPL1TB-D8 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) Replaced a AMD RYZEN 3 2200G Quad-Core 3.5 GHz with an AMD RYZEN...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i upgrade my laptops intel

2. can you upgrade a laptops processor