Windows 10: Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC?

Discus and support Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a laptop 5 years ago which came with win 8.1 OEM installed. I did the free upgrade to win 10 home when this came available. I have built... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jastgop, Feb 7, 2019.

1. jastgop Win User

Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC?

Hi, I bought a laptop 5 years ago which came with win 8.1 OEM installed. I did the free upgrade to win 10 home when this came available.

I have built my own PC with new components, but I'm aware that I can't transfer the win 10 home license as it is OEM and linked to the hardware of the old laptop.

What I was wondering, is if I upgrade the win 10 home to win 10 pro via the windows store on my old laptop, will this allow me to then transfer the win 10 pro license to my new build PC, or will this license continue to be linked solely to the existing laptop?

Hope that makes sense.

:)

jastgop, Feb 7, 2019

2. Upgrading OEM Win10 Home to MSDN Win10 Pro

Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version.

My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to the new computer.

Should I upgrade from OEM Home to MSDN Pro on the old computer and then transfer everything to the new computer?

Or just install Win10 PRO MSDN on the new computer and use the backup software vendor's application transfer program to move the applications and registry entries?

My goals are:

1. Not have any "dinosaur bones" either from the OS on my SSD from the old OEM Home version on the new PRO version

1. Not have to reinstall and reconfigure everything (which would take about a week)

Thanks for any advice I can get...

bobmac1547, Feb 7, 2019
  3. NayAung Win User
    Windows 10 Pro licence transfer to another PC

My current desktop PC has Windows 10 Pro installed. It was upgraded from its predecessor, Windows 7 Pro. However, it will be scrapped soon as I'm building a gaming PC now.

How do I transfer the Windows 10 Pro to my new gaming PC? What are the technical steps as Win 10 doesn't seem to have the licence key?

Thank you.

NayAung, Feb 7, 2019
  4. Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC?

Andre Da Costa, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC?

1. Can I upgrade OEM win 10 home to Pro and then transfer to a new build PC? - Similar Threads - upgrade OEM home

2. Upgrade from 10 Home OEM to 10 Pro. Can I transfer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from 10 Home OEM to 10 Pro. Can I transfer?: Title really says it all. I'm about to slap together a new PC . Current PC I bought a while ago had 10 Home OEM preinstalled on a drive. If I upgrade to 10 Pro from the windows store for the $99 will it be a Full/Retail version that I can then deactivate and transfer to my...
  3. Upgrade from 10 Home OEM to 10 Pro. Can I transfer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 10 Home OEM to 10 Pro. Can I transfer?: Title really says it all. I'm about to slap together a new PC . Current PC I bought a while ago had 10 Home OEM preinstalled on a drive. If I upgrade to 10 Pro from the windows store for the $99 will it be a Full/Retail version that I can then deactivate and transfer to my...
  4. Upgrade from 10 Home OEM to 10 Pro. Can I transfer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Own-build Workstation, "Win-10 Pro for OEM" CD + SSD - can I transfer to new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Own-build Workstation, "Win-10 Pro for OEM" CD + SSD - can I transfer to new motherboard?: This is really a question for someone from Microsoft, not so much the 'community'. Here's my question: Can I move my Windows-10 Pro "For OEM" license that I bought with a new SSD, to a rebuilt system that has a new Motherboard, and by necessity at this point, a new Intel...
  6. Transfer Win 10 Pro upgrade to New Computer with Win 10 Home

Transfer Win 10 Pro upgrade to New Computer with Win 10 Home: I have purchased a new computer with Win 10 Home. I have an old computer which was upgraded from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro. It is activated digitally. I want to down grade the old computer to Win 10 Home and upgrade the new one from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro. The cost of...
  7. Can I Transfer a Windows 10 Pro Retail Licence to a new PC with Windows 10 Home (OEM)

Can I Transfer a Windows 10 Pro Retail Licence to a new PC with Windows 10 Home (OEM): I have an 8 year old PC on which I installed a bona fide retail version of Windows 8.1 Pro purchased from Microsoft. When Windows 10 was released I installed the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I am about to buy a new PC which will have Windows 10 Home installed (i.e. OEM)....
  8. Transfer Win 10 Pro Licence to a new Win 10 Home PC

Transfer Win 10 Pro Licence to a new Win 10 Home PC: I bought a Laptop with Win 7 in July 2012. In January, 2013, I bought a Win 8 Pro licence through the promotion that was running at the time. I have since update the original Win 7 PC, to Win 8 Pro, to Win 10 Pro and it now is running Win 10 update 1903. I bought a new...
  9. Transfer Upgraded Win 10 to new build?

Transfer Upgraded Win 10 to new build?: Hello, Recently I have built a new PC as my old PC is starting to die out. Previously my old PC ran windows 7 pro and when I received my pre-built pc all them years ago I got a driver disk and a product key along with it. Yesterday I finally upgraded from Win7 pro to the...
  10. Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?

Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?: I recently purchased a laptop that has an OEM version of Win 10 Home on it. I verified this by using : slmgr -dli. Previously I had purchased an OEM Win 10 Pro Key. Can I use this OEM Win 10 Pro Key to upgrade the OEM Win 10 Home to the OEM Win 10 Pro. If so what are...