Windows 10: Can I upgrade the same pc to windows 10 twice?

Discus and support Can I upgrade the same pc to windows 10 twice? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ok so my pc came with oem windows 7 home on it and when windows 10 was released as the free upgrade i jumped on that bandwagon. I've been using it ever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mrpantsinator, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Can I upgrade the same pc to windows 10 twice?

Ok so my pc came with oem windows 7 home on it and when windows 10 was released as the free upgrade i jumped on that bandwagon. I've been using it ever since but I've been longing for windows 10 pro for a while. Microsoft want to charge me £99 for a pro upgrade from the store and I can't see any other way of doing it except...

A post I saw on eight forums just now made me wonder, if I downgraded back to windows 7 home, I can buy a windows 8.1 pro upgrade key for three parts of nothing from amazon and then install 8.1 pro on my pc, upgrading from 7 home. Could I then do the free upgrade to windows 10 again (only this time going to windows 10 pro instead of home like last time)?

On the one hand I'm thinking I can do this with no issue because, afterall it is a free upgrade until the end of the month so what do microsoft care? I will have gone through a completely legitimate way of getting pro instead of the home version of windows 10 so there's nothing really untoward about it. On the other hand, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong of course) that the windows 10 activation servers match a PC's hardware id in order to activate the free edition without any keys needing to be input, so even though I'd be upgrading from windows 8 pro this time the activation servers might see that I already upgraded this computer to 10 home and refuse to activate with 10 pro installed on it.

Cheers!

:)

mrpantsinator, Jul 18, 2016

2. Can i get the same windows after upgrade my old PC running genuine windows 10

Wll then...

First, buying software (really, computing anything) from ebay: I'd suggest NOT. There's a reason if it is a deal and on stuff like software licenses - it is usually because they are exploiting a loophole (like selling MSDN licenses that can be activated
    several times before triggering the cut off and voiding all the activated licenses...) to make a quick buck.

Windows 10 Home: ~$120

Windows 10 PRO: ~$200

Direct pricing, legitimate places.

Depending on your personal needs (unless you will be joining a domain or insist on using Remote Desktop as oppsed to many other easier and just as secure remote solutions plus some other enterprise level features) - the HOME edition will be more than sufficient
    (you can access up to 128GB RAM - in case that was a concern.)

If you buy a full retail version - retail has always been transferable. It is still one license, one computer (so you cannot use that license/product key on multiple systems at the same time) - but installing it on a different computer and removing it from
    the last one: doable.

Again, especially for software licenses, I highly suggest you avoid eBay. While the savings might sound great, they are likely too good to be true and at some point, it could bite back and you'd have no recourse (the rating system, etc. is a joke when it
    comes to situations like this.)

Shenan Stanley, Jul 18, 2016
  3. Can i get the same windows after upgrade my old PC running genuine windows 10

Hi

Shenan stanley ,

No currently my old pc don't have any oem licensed window.and i am looking to buy a retail copy of windows 10 pro.My question is can i able to use the same key if i upgrade my hardware...

anilkumares, Jul 18, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Can I upgrade the same pc to windows 10 twice?

The PC I am using to post this has been used for testing. As soon as first Technical Preview was released 1st of October 2014 I upgraded my then OS Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview build 9841.

Since that I have clean installed Windows 10 Home and Single Language editions on this machine and activated them, completely wiping the Win 10 Pro install. I have also since that clean installed and activated Windows 10 Education on this machine.

Now I can clean install Windows 10 Home, Single Language, Pro and Education on this machine whenever I want to, they will all be automatically activated based on digital entitlement.

All activated Windows 10 editions on the same hardware will get and keep their digital entitlement. There's nothing stopping you from upgrading an eligible and valid, activated Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. If Pro is then not what you wanted, you can clean install Home edition and it will be activated without issues.

No upgrade rule states that one hardware setup can only have one digital entitlement activation.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You don't have to go back to Windows 7 or 8 and install the pro versions of them. Upgrade Windows 10 from Home to Pro and use a Windows 7/8/8.1 Pro key to activate it before July 29th. Read the last link on this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ng-home-to-pro

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2016
  6. Thank you both, Kari and NavyLCDR, very much appreciate the help!

mrpantsinator, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can I upgrade the same pc to windows 10 twice?

1. Can I upgrade the same pc to windows 10 twice? - Similar Threads - upgrade same twice

2. Can I upgrade my PC to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I upgrade my PC to Windows 10?: My PC specs are: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit 6.1, Build 7600,processor IntelR CoreTM2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz 4 CPUs ~2.3Ghz,Installed memory RAM: 2.00 GB,DirectX 11,Display 1440 x 900 32 bit 60Hz. Thank you....
  3. Can I upgrade my PC to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I upgrade my PC to Windows 10?: My PC specs are: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit 6.1, Build 7600,processor IntelR CoreTM2 Quad CPU Q8200 @2.33GHz 4 CPUs ~2.3Ghz,Installed memory RAM: 2.00 GB,DirectX 11,Display 1440 x 900 32 bit 60Hz. Thank you....
  4. Windows twice in the same Directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows twice in the same Directory: It is normal to have Windows showing in the Explorer twice in the same Directory? Here's a screenshot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-twice-in-the-same-directory/64d0752a-01d6-4c75-8aac-5c6508b8d7a0
  5. Windows twice in the same Directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows twice in the same Directory: It is normal to have Windows showing in the Explorer twice in the same Directory? Here's a screenshot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-twice-in-the-same-directory/64d0752a-01d6-4c75-8aac-5c6508b8d7a0
  6. After resetting the PC, Can I upgrade windows 10 Home to windows 10 Pro using the same...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    After resetting the PC, Can I upgrade windows 10 Home to windows 10 Pro using the same...: For some reasons I really need to reset my laptop. When I purchased my laptop It already came with genuine windows 10 Home. So I purchased a Windows 10 pro key and upgraded my device to windows 10 pro.Now my question is, After resting my device can I use previously purchased...
  7. Can i use the same product key in the same pc?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can i use the same product key in the same pc?: Hello so I need to redownload windows beacause of some problem now im wondering if i can use the same product key for the same laptop and i already have my bootable media....
  8. How to check if you can upgrade to 64 bit Windows 10 on the same PC

in Windows 10 News
    How to check if you can upgrade to 64 bit Windows 10 on the same PC: [ATTACH]Windows 10 going forward will only offer a 64-bit version. It means you need to have 64-bit hardware to install a 64-bit OS. However, there are […] This article How to check if you can upgrade to 64 bit Windows 10 on the same PC first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  9. Can I used the same windows 10 key twice?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I used the same windows 10 key twice?: My original boot drive died so I have to buy a new one. Can I use my old key on a new drive? It will be in the same PC. submitted by /u/JaquariousLaFonte [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/frmmcz/can_i_used_the_same_windows_10_key_twice/
  10. Windows 10 upgrade failed twice

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade failed twice: I have just failed miserably to upgrade my Acer E5 laptop running fully updated Windows 8.1. The error code and message read 0xC1900101-0x40017 Failed in SECOND-BOOT phase. Error during BOOT operation. Can anyone supply some possible causes and/or solutions please? 31846