Windows 10: Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Home with a Windows 7 Professional key?

Discus and support Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Home with a Windows 7 Professional key? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm sure it has been asked on the Internet before, I just couldn't find the solution via Google. See #1 here: 4 beginner questions: Home-Pro,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nco, Dec 12, 2015.

1. NCO
    nco Win User

Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Home with a Windows 7 Professional key?

2. Martmcd Win User

When I get Win10 Home , can I upgrade it to Pro ?

The choice is yours.

1)Leave it with windows 7 home premium and get a Free upgrade to windows 10 Home

OR

2) Leave it with windows 7 home premium and get a Free upgrade to windows 10 Home, then buy windows 10 Pro Pack ($99) to upgrade to windows 10 Professional

OR

3) Upgrade to windows 7 Professional and take advantage of the Free upgrade to Windows 10 Professional.

Martmcd, Dec 12, 2015
  3. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Professional by using Windows 7 Professional

Hi All,

I have bought a new notebook with Windows 10 Home, but I have Windows 7 Professional, as there is free upgrade of Windows 7 to Windows 10, can I use my Windows 7 Professional key to upgrade my new notebook to Windows 10 Professional, and how to do it. Thanks.

Wayne

WAYNELAW2008, Dec 12, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Your thread's title says...............Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Home with a Windows 7 Professional key?

If I ask a question which had already been asked in the other thread of yours, I apologize.

What exactly do you mean by " ..... with a Windows 7 Professional key "?
    Is the computer in question running Win 7 Pro or other edition ?

You are asking about upgrade install.
    The upgrade path is ........ Like to Like......... Home to Home, Pro to Pro.

You cannot do an upgrade install of Windows 10 Home with a Win 7 Pro product key.

davidhk, Dec 12, 2015
  5. NCO
    nco Win User
    @davidhk

Huh, your answer seems to be a bit complicated, to the simple question I was aiming to ask.

Here I try to clarify: upgrade install or clean install; it's a tie for me. The point is, I have, had Windows 7 Professional and want Windows 10 Home, just because it consumes less resources (as I was advised in the other thread).

6. davidhk Win User
    You cannot do an upgrade install of Windows 10 Home with a Windows 7 pro key.

davidhk, Dec 12, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    In your specs, you have Windows 7.

If it is Windows 7 Home, then you will get a free upgrade to Win 10 Home.
    If it is Windows 7 Pro, then you will get a free upgrade to Win 10 Pro.
    That's what I meant by ....... Like to Like.

In an upgrade install, you have to adhere to the version your computer is presently running.

davidhk, Dec 12, 2015
  8. NCO
    nco Win User

Oh, Microsoft, why can't you a bit more flexible?
    @davidhk Thanks!

9. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.

davidhk, Dec 12, 2015
  10. Mansome Win User
    What do you mean by less resources? The main difference between home and pro is really the domain related stuff and bit locker. Neither of which makes your system slower. You dont even need to use those features. Just upgrade to pro.

Mansome, Dec 12, 2015
  11. NCO
    nco Win User
    Not me. @NavyLCDR (Pro User) suggested this. Link in the 1st post.

12. NCO
    nco Win User
  13. Mansome Win User

Easiest fix just use the compress command after installing it. There is a section in the guides on this where you can compress the OS and certain directories. I would say do this rather than worrying about the tiny amount of space you get with home vs pro. I almost want to say when the images were kept separate before 1511 that the ISO for Home was bigger than the ISO for pro.

Mansome, Dec 12, 2015
  14. Superfly Win User
    I'm not sure if there is a definitive benchmark regarding the resource usage regarding Win10 Home vs Pro - but in Win 7 days Ultimate used approximately the same resources as Home Basic (obviously whilst stuff like WMC was not running.)

Superfly, Dec 12, 2015
  15. Mansome Win User
    What I suggest doing is if you can get to another computer that supports virtualization, create your entire OS install with all the apps and drivers you want or need in the VM, dont enter any product key info for any app or OS. Create a provision package from said VM. Import the package into WICD as Win 10 Pro. Customize as you need to. Create install media with the compact OS option. This will compress the OS and apps during the install which will run from a smaller file instead of a bunch of uncompressed files. This option will replace files in the image as you add in updates or drivers while still maintaining the size. I know it seems like a lot of work but its a good way to shrink down Windows as far as it can go. I have done this on my SSD at home.

Mansome, Dec 12, 2015
Thema:

1. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 Home with a Windows 7 Professional key? - Similar Threads - upgrade Home Professional

2. Cannot upgrade Windows 7 professional to Windows 10 Home.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot upgrade Windows 7 professional to Windows 10 Home.: The upgrade stops on 15% and starts undoing changes... Can someone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-upgrade-windows-7-professional-to-windows/5258caa6-4d37-4e22-ae55-c765202a296e
  3. Cannot upgrade Windows 7 professional to Windows 10 Home.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot upgrade Windows 7 professional to Windows 10 Home.: The upgrade stops on 15% and starts undoing changes... Can someone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-upgrade-windows-7-professional-to-windows/5258caa6-4d37-4e22-ae55-c765202a296e
  4. Cannot upgrade Windows 7 professional to Windows 10 Home.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. windows 7 professional to windows 10 key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 7 professional to windows 10 key: hello i have a genuine cd key for windows 7 and i currently bought a pc. Is there a way to upgrade to windows 10 using the genuine key of my old windows 7?...
  6. Upgrading from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Professional via a Windows 7 professional disk

Upgrading from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Professional via a Windows 7 professional disk: I have an OEM version of Windows 10 home which was pre-installed on my computer. I also have a fully licenced version of Windows 7 professional, this is installed on a computer which is not capable of being upgraded to Windows 10; consequently it will no longe be used. Is...
  7. window 7 professional upgrading

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    window 7 professional upgrading: I have original Dell 2011 computer. Being retired use computer to play games , look E-Mail and to pay bills. Can any thing be done to keep this running to serve my purpose,...
  8. UPGRADE WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL TO 10

UPGRADE WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL TO 10: Presently running Windows 7 Professional with Windows XP Virtual installed. Can I upgrade to 10 without losing XP Virtual https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-windows-7-professional-to-10/f8f2ce03-e856-46bd-bd55-b01a51ea446e
  9. Upgrading to Windows 10 Professional using a windows 7 Professional Key

Upgrading to Windows 10 Professional using a windows 7 Professional Key: Hi, Hoping someone can give me a proper and definitive answer on this as there are multiple conflicting answers. 1. Can you upgrade from windows 10 home to windows 10 Professional using a Windows 7 professional Key ? 2. Can you install windows 10 Pro and activate it...
  10. Can I go from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Home version?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I go from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 Home version?: If I have a valid copy of Windows 7 Professional on my computer can I upgrade free to Windows 10 Home. There are several people selling Windows 7 Professional on eBay for about $50, but I need the Home version so I can restore my fully configured Windows 10 Home from my...