Windows 10: Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup?

Discus and support Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I'm currently using a 2TB hard in a disk caddy to backup (with EaseUs software) using incremental backups but my disk is getting full (I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tallonius, Sep 8, 2018.

1. tallonius Win User

Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup?

Hi,

I'm currently using a 2TB hard in a disk caddy to backup (with EaseUs software) using incremental backups but my disk is getting full (I have a lot of graphics and video files). I'm thinking of buying a 4TB hard drive to use in the caddy - I use a caddy so I can keep my backup drive elsewhere in case of burglary etc.

I've read that Win 10 can't 'see' more than 2TB, and so a 4TB drive would have to be setup using something called GPT rather then the normal MBR format.

My main worry is that Windows may not be able to see it because it's in a caddy - so I'll be left with an expensive 2Tb drive... Is anyone using a GPT-formatted 4TB successfully in a caddY

Also, can I keep my other drives as MBR?

Thanks.

:)

tallonius, Sep 8, 2018
  2. michael Win User

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk

Hi Guys,

Please suggest Best 4TB NAS External Hard Disk.

There are only two WD or Segate

What I want:-

1.USB 3.0
    2.LAN port
    3.Torrent client
    4.DLNA streaming

Please suggest if you have any experiences

Thanks.

michael, Sep 8, 2018
  3. icmk Win User
    Windows 7 and 4TB Hard Drive

I seem to be running into trouble with getting W7 to work with a WD Red 4TB, I would be grateful if someone can point out my errors.

After I connected and initialized the drive as a GPT disk, W7 reported it as a 1.67TB partition. DISKPART, EASEUS/Paragon PMs all reported the same so I used GPARTED to format it as a 4TB NTFS drive. Reboot back to W7 which now see all 4TB in a single partition, so I assumed that everything was fine.

Used ROBOCOPY to populate the drive overnight with about 2TB of data. But the next day W7 reports the drive as not accessible. Thought I must have received a bad drive so I ran an extended Data LifeGuard test. But WinDLG reported NO error.

However W7 now report the drive as unformatted and want to format it. So I ran the EASEUS/Paragon PMs and some parts of them see the 4TB, other parts see only 1.67TB. DISKPART reports different sizes too.

This is the output from DISKPART:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
    -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
    Disk 0 Online 931 GB 0 B
    Disk 1 Online 931 GB 0 B
    Disk 2 Online 1678 GB 0 B *
    Disk 3 Online 223 GB 0 B

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------
    Volume 0 R DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
    Volume 1 G Black NTFS Partition 931 GB Healthy Pagefil
    Volume 2 H Blue NTFS Partition 931 GB Healthy
    Volume 3 D NTFS Partition 3726 GB Healthy
    Volume 4 C Root NTFS Partition 223 GB Healthy System

DISKPART> select disk 2

Disk 2 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Primary 3726 GB 1024 KB

I've Googled the problem but most of them seem to involve initializing the drive as a MBR disk. I'd be truly thankful if someone can give me some help on this.

icmk, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup?

Static~Charge, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup?

1. Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup? - Similar Threads - 4TB hard drive

2. Problem with the caddy hard I installed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with the caddy hard I installed.: I bought a used laptop which is Lenovo t540p and installed a second hard drive to the optical drive via a caddy adapter. after installing windows 10 I faced a problem with my second hard. It is that the second hard is showing as a removable device. and I searched online for...
  3. 4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.985) Version: 10.0.19042 I have 2 Seagate Barracuda drives that only show as 2tb. They are gpt. This is since using them in raid in nas. tried everything in this thread Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT...
  4. How to use Hard Disk HDD on caddy after windows installation on ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to use Hard Disk HDD on caddy after windows installation on ssd: I used to have windows on my hdd and i recently upgraded to 120 gb ssd and the windows is now in ssd,but i can use my hdd through caddy,both the drives are working properly but the hardisk is protected and it cant see its partitions and my previous window is still in that...
  5. 4tb hard drive only allows me to use 2tb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    4tb hard drive only allows me to use 2tb: I got a 4tb Hdd and I think it said that a certain amount is for the system or something and I couldn’t use all 4tb, I could only use 2tb. Sorry I can’t provide more info but does anyone know why this might’ve happened or if this is normal. Is there anything wrong with...
  6. Hard drive in caddy set up

Hard drive in caddy set up: I have put my hard drive from my win 10 desktop now dead into a caddy and it is recognised as a drive "E" on my new desktop. Everything is on there but do in need to retain Windows 10 on it? surely I can delete that? Files that perhaps I do not need to retain are :- Intel,...
  7. external hard drive caddy

external hard drive caddy: I bought a caddy or enclosure for my older but good internal drive to make an external drive for storage. It seems to be OK after I formatted it. However there is a system reserved under it in explorer. Do I do anything with this system reserved? Will it affect my Macrium...
  8. hard drive caddy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    hard drive caddy: Can anyone recommend a reliable easy to use hard drive caddy for sata hard drives 123448
  9. Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I use a 4TB hard drive in a disk caddy to backup?: Hi, I'm currently using a 2TB hard in a disk caddy to backup (with EaseUs software) using incremental backups which works fine but my disk is getting full (I have a lot of graphics and video files). I've read that Win 10 can't 'see' more than 2TB, and so a 4TB drive would...
  10. Hard drive in a caddy causing boot problems

Hard drive in a caddy causing boot problems: Hi. I recently installed a fresh Windows 10 Home on my laptop. I was having some problems and so I made a post on this forum. That post can be seen following this link: Factory reset laptop that has had an upgrade to SSD by cloning old HD That has been solved in a weird...