Windows 10: Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image?

Discus and support Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; HI all,I wonder if I create a system image or system backup on a drive with existing file, will the wizard remove those existing files or simply just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by TheNewBy, Jun 28, 2022.

1. TheNewBy Win User

Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image?

HI all,I wonder if I create a system image or system backup on a drive with existing file, will the wizard remove those existing files or simply just create a seperate folder and save the backup there?In the past, I always just use a clean drive to do the backups but found it quite wasteful in terms of space. So wonder if I can just put them into a drive with my other backup files? Couldnt seem to find a article talking about this and the wizard doesnt indicate either, wonder if someone knows this?Thanks for the answers

:)

TheNewBy, Jun 28, 2022
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

restore system image from command prompt, drive d: not seen by system restore

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To be able to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the following details:

• Are you trying to restore the system image or create a system image?
    • Are you able to see the external drive in File Explorer?
    • Could you please briefly explain the procedure that you are following to initiate a system image restore?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the articles on
    How to: Create a system image in Windows 10
    and

How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage device
    created by Andre Da Costa.

Please reply with the detailed information, to help you in a better way.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 28, 2022
  3. Help, cant create windows image

Hello there, @fullinfusion!

It seems like some sort of an OS confusion has happened with your secondary WD Black and I'm sorry to hear about that. *Frown Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image? :(
    Maybe re-formatting it would help indeed as the community already mentioned. I'd suggest to take a look at this step-by-step how to partition and format an HDD: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=PYCoid
    Keep in mind that this will wipe clean the drive, so you should backup all important data from the drive somewhere else.
    I noticed from the screenshots that your HDD appears as Disk 0, this means that it's plugged in the primary SATA port where the SSD (as an OS drive) should be. Actually it is possible that because of this Windows cannot create the image there. Swap the ports of the SSD and the HDD, this might help as well.

Keep me posted. Hope this helped! *Smile Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image? :)
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jun 28, 2022
  4. Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image?

System Image Restoration in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I would like you to answer the following questions:

• Could you please tell me are you facing any issue with your Windows 10 computer?
    • Could you please explain in detail “Windows 10 restoration of system Image affects all the existing partitions instead of only C:\”?
    When we create system image, by default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. It also includes Windows and your system settings, programs, and files. You can use a system image to restore the contents of your computer
    if your hard disk or computer ever stops working.

In Windows 10 We have an option to select other drives while creating System Image backup. If you have selected other drives too when creating System Image backup it will affect those drives too.

I suggest you to create a system image and check.

To create system image on Windows 10 follow the below methods.

• Type File history in the search area on the taskbar and select File history.

• Click on System image backup on the left bottom corner of the Window file history Window.

• Click on Create System Image on the left panel of the System Image backup windows.

• Select the driver, where you want to Create system Image.

• Follow on screen instruction.
    Please get back to us with the updated information. WE will be happy to assist you further.

AmritaBhattacharjee1709, Jun 28, 2022
Thema:

Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image?

1. Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image? - Similar Threads - drive existing files

2. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows: I have a Macintosh with Windows 10 running on Bootcamp that I was trying to upgrade, but unfortunately I accidentally corrupted the macOS Catalina partition while attempting to repartition the hard drive using Windows, which also corrupted the bootloader and rendered both...
  3. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows: I have a Macintosh with Windows 10 running on Bootcamp that I was trying to upgrade, but unfortunately I accidentally corrupted the macOS Catalina partition while attempting to repartition the hard drive using Windows, which also corrupted the bootloader and rendered both...
  4. Create system recovery image from existing system image not created with Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image?: HI all,I wonder if I create a system image or system backup on a drive with existing file, will the wizard remove those existing files or simply just create a seperate folder and save the backup there?In the past, I always just use a clean drive to do the backups but found it...
  6. Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image?

Can I use a drive with existing files to create windows 10 system image?: HI all,I wonder if I create a system image or system backup on a drive with existing file, will the wizard remove those existing files or simply just create a seperate folder and save the backup there?In the past, I always just use a clean drive to do the backups but found it...
  7. Using the image from create a system image.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using the image from create a system image.: I used the backup tool to "create a system image" I have it on a USB. How do I use it when I need it? I am envisioning a total failure of the system and having to start from boot up. But I would guess it can and will be a less catastrophic thing if I do get a failure. so how...
  8. How can i remove a existing system image and create a new windows image in my laptop for...

How can i remove a existing system image and create a new windows image in my laptop for...: Hi How can i remove a existing system image and create a new windows image in my laptop for the latest windows 10 2004 My older windwos image is of windows 10 1503 created in 2017. After Upgrading to Windows 10 2004 yesterday. I would like to make a system image for this...
  9. Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?

Can I create system image backup on a system image backup?: When i first installed Windows 10, and had all the drivers running, and minimal apps installed, i created a system image backup at that point, so if one day something goes wrong, and all else fails, i can restore to that point in time. This is backed up on an HDD, and we...
  10. Creating system image file

Creating system image file: Hello, I have been having a problem creating an image file. I do so on its own and don't include a backup of my files. I have a screen image of the error I received which I hope will help someone. I am no expert and need guidance please to rectify. I will copy/paste the...