Windows 10: Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

Discus and support Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an old desktop pc (Dell Inspiron 620) that I want to use as a home file server. This PC will only hold two hard drives. I would like to install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bazsl1, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Bazsl1 Win User

Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

I have an old desktop pc (Dell Inspiron 620) that I want to use as a home file server. This PC will only hold two hard drives. I would like to install two identical 4TB drives and have Windows treat them as a RAID 1 array. Is this possible? If so, are there instructions for using a RAID 1 array as the Windows system drive. Thanks.

:)

Bazsl1, Jul 16, 2019
  2. Ethan Z. Win User

Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management
    Console is not up to date. It suggested I refresh it, relaunch it, or even restart my computer. I tried all three things, and it still wouldn't let me mirror the partition. Then I realized that maybe Windows won't let me create a RAID 1 Array on USB Drives,
    so I went to the original plan I was going to do and grabbed my 500GB External HDD and my 120GB External SSD (they are both USB 3.0 connected enclosures) and when I tried to mirror a partition on my 500GB HDD using my SSD, it wouldn't let me use the SSD to
    mirror it. So then I tried using my internal windows 10 SSD to mirror my HDD. But, I needed to shrink my main partition on my internal SSD and it wouldn't let me shrink it saying there was a certain amount I could shrink it to, but I could only shrink 135MB
    at max and I have 89.4GB free on that partition. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated (and by the way, if you're wondering why I'm trying to run RAID 1 on an external HDD/SSD is just for testing and more file redundancy and performance).

Ethan Z., Jul 17, 2019
  3. raid 0 array installation

im trying to install windows 10 on a raid 0 array and when i select the drive to install to it splits the array and then cannot install to either parts

Me

the array is 3 1TB drives. it sees it as 3 TB in the installation manager, but when i try to select it it splits it to a 2TB drive and a 1TB drive. it then wont let me install to either drive

I have windows 10 pro

I set up the array in bios and all is well

I boot to installation media dvd and it says "a media driver your computer needs is missing.

I select the new raid driver and install it.

Then it asks for installation destination, it sees my 3 TB array but when i click on it it separates it into a 2 TB drive and a 1TB drive and then it gives me an error saying " we couldnt install windows in the location you chose. please check your media
    drive. heres ore info about what happened: 0x80300024"

IsaacLintner, Jul 17, 2019
  4. Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

Windows 10 update and Raid stripped boot drive

XFX 790i SLI motherboard with 2 raptor (126gb) in stripe so 252 gb single drive. plus two other discs in stripe and 1 disc 2tb not in raid.

PC was running win 7 no issues updated to win 10 no issues for month then just updated to latest win 10 update now wont boot. cannot find boot device says. looked in bios and can see all arrays and drives. Gone on repair windows through usb media create
    and it wont repair. when use cmd and look at discs it cannot see any of the arrays, only the un raided 2tb drive.

Any ideas?

ChristineGreen_726, Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive?

1. Can I use a RAID 1 drive array as my Windows boot drive? - Similar Threads - RAID drive array

2. Reinstalling RAID 1 using NVMe drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling RAID 1 using NVMe drive: Hi, I had 2 Corsair Force Series MP600 2 TB, NVMe PCIe Gen 4 x4 M.2 SSD in RAID 1 when I ordered my computer from Origin PC. One of the drives was bad so I switched from RAID 1 to AHCI and sent the bad drive for replacement. I have the replacement drive installed now and I am...
  3. Raid boot drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Raid boot drive.: I have 2 120gb ssds in my PC. They are from different brands. Is there a way I can somehow combine both of them into a raid that makes them operate as 1 drive, then make it my windows boot drive?...
  4. Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update just broke my RAID 1 array: The volume was mostly backed up. My video shoot this weekend 6 hours work I cannot reshoot was not backed up yet, so I desperately need to repair the array somehow. The device is a Lacie 2TB Bolt 3 Thunderbolt. It is a pair of SSDs packaged in one unit. It was configured...
  5. Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Raid 1 Drives disappeared in Win10: I am using a Dell T-130 server running Windows 10 pro since 2017. The machine is setup to use RAID in the bios. there is a C: drive that the machine boots from and there are 3 identical 1.8T drives that are in a RAID 1 config. These show as D: drive. There is also a DVR RW...
  6. RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RAID 1 array created through Windows Storage Spaces had a drive fail. Do I just replace the...: So I created a RAID 1 array using Windows Storage Spaces with two of my 2 TB WD HDDs. One of them has failed, now the other doesn't show up in Windows' drive listing under My Computer (as expected). Two questions I have: 1) Do I just plug a new, identical drive in? And...
  7. Convert RAID 0 array to regular drives?

Convert RAID 0 array to regular drives?: After installing Win 10 Pro 64-bit, my internal HDD RAID 0 array began to show an error on one of the 2 drives at start up (Listed as "error occurred" in red text on the screen that usually has all white text on a black screen), and also it's been acting funny, intermittently...
  8. Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array: Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management Console is not up to...
  9. RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives

RAID 1 Recognized as 2 Hard Drives: My custom build is now about a year old. Whe n I first set it up, I configured hardware RAID 1 and the fresh windows install worked perfect. Now after a few upgrades the drives are not seen as a RAID anymore but 1 separate drives. Funny thing is when I mounted on a...
  10. Windows 10 raid 1 using windows raid

Windows 10 raid 1 using windows raid: Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've added a hard drive to my system to enable raid 1 via windows 10 Pro (not hardware raid). my main drive has 4 partitions which were set up when I installed windows 8.1. I have since upgraded to 10 pro. I assume these partitions...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can a raid 1 be used as a boot drive

2. can i use a raid drive as a main drive