Windows 10: Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History?

Discus and support Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am trying to enable File History in WIndows 10, but "No usable drive was found" error is given. I have partitioned my main hard drive to have another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by avadamr, Oct 7, 2018.

1. avadamr Win User

Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History?

I am trying to enable File History in WIndows 10, but "No usable drive was found" error is given. I have partitioned my main hard drive to have another virtual drive (YCan I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History? :) to maintain copies of files as backups. I want to use this separate partition on my main hard drive as the location to be used for File History. Can I? Or File History in Windows can't accept a SEPARATE partition (YCan I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History? :) on the same HARD drive on which it is installed (in a different partition - the main CCan I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History? :) as a usable location for File History backups?

:)

avadamr, Oct 7, 2018
  2. CARL7901 Win User

file history hard drive multiple partitions

Does file history extend past the root partition user folders into data partitions or even another hard drive on the same PC?

CARL7901, Oct 7, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 7, 2018
  4. Sam___ Win User

file history hard drive multiple partitions

Hi Carl,

Does file history extend past the root partition user folders into data partitions or even another hard drive on the same PC?

Yes, you can select what folders are backed up apart from the default ones. A good practice is to keep your important data in libraries, that way File History will always back them up.

-Sam

Sam___, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History? - Similar Threads - separate partition hard

2. Can I use Win10 File History to backup my D: Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I use Win10 File History to backup my D: Drive: My primary HD is partitioned into two drives, C: and D:. I can use Win File History to backup folders on my C: drive to an external HD but I can not find a way to select the D: drive to run a File History to an external HD. The D: drive is not even listed as a drive I can...
  3. Unknown files on my hard drive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unknown files on my hard drive partition: I have got some bizarre dll, exe, etc files on My New Volume: E Partition of Hard drive which was empty out of nowhere. Can anyone Please tell what are these files about? Are they important? What should I do to them? Is there any problem in my PC?[ATTACH]...
  4. File History not detecting my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History not detecting my external hard drive: I’m trying to backup my computer with File History and I’m trying to back it up to my external WD 4TB external hard drive. But when selecting the drives to back it up to, it only shows my HDD. submitted by /u/throaway9001 [link] [comments]...
  5. Separate Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate Hard Drive: My C Drive only has 100Gb free. Will I be able to install Microsoft Flight Sim data on the E drive where I have lots of space? Bryan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/separate-hard-drive/a74a3df4-ef72-402b-95d5-6813869a431f
  6. File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History does not recognize external hard drive. Can not turn File History on: An apparent update to Windows 10 caused File History to turn itself off. When trying to restart it, File History keep getting message "no external hard drive detected". Widows 10 shows the external disk working with no problems. When i tried to download data to the external...
  7. Partitioning My hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partitioning My hard drive: I want to partition my main drive C so that I can install windows 7. I'm using disk management to do it and I right click C and click shrink volume. The size before shrink is 609,184MB and the size available shrink is 340MB and the size after shrink is 609,884MB. I want to...
  8. how to use file history on a partition (of the same drive) [solved]

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how to use file history on a partition (of the same drive) [solved]: To use a partition you must first turn on the sharing option on it. So click on your partition, go to property, on the sharing tab click on advanced sharing. Share it with yourselves, or the other. Then run: filehistory, click on configure file history select your partition....
  9. Data on separate partition or drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...
  10. Image / History on separate partitions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Image / History on separate partitions?: I want to create two separate partitions on a portable usb drive. On one partition, I'd like to create a system image using the windows image-creating capability. On the other partition, I would like to use the windows history capability to maintain a continuously updated...