Windows 10: Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History?

Discus and support Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am trying to enable File History in WIndows 10, but "No usable drive was found" error is given. I have partitioned my main hard drive to have another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by avadamr, Oct 7, 2018.

1. avadamr Win User

Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History?

I am trying to enable File History in WIndows 10, but "No usable drive was found" error is given. I have partitioned my main hard drive to have another virtual drive (YCan I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History? :) to maintain copies of files as backups. I want to use this separate partition on my main hard drive as the location to be used for File History. Can I? Or File History in Windows can't accept a SEPARATE partition (YCan I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History? :) on the same HARD drive on which it is installed (in a different partition - the main CCan I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History? :) as a usable location for File History backups?

:)

avadamr, Oct 7, 2018
  2. CARL7901 Win User

file history hard drive multiple partitions

Does file history extend past the root partition user folders into data partitions or even another hard drive on the same PC?

CARL7901, Oct 7, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 7, 2018
  4. Sam___ Win User

file history hard drive multiple partitions

Hi Carl,

Does file history extend past the root partition user folders into data partitions or even another hard drive on the same PC?

Yes, you can select what folders are backed up apart from the default ones. A good practice is to keep your important data in libraries, that way File History will always back them up.

-Sam

Sam___, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I use a separate partition on my hard drive for File History? - Similar Threads - separate partition hard

2. File history - second internal hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history - second internal hard drive: I have a C drive and a D drive, both internal hard drives. File History is backing up the contents of the D drive, but when I go to the "Restore Files From a Current Backup" function, only the C drive files are shown. I can see from looking at the contents of the external...
  3. i can't reconnect my file history drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    i can't reconnect my file history drive: i have an HP stream and since i got it and installed windows 10 it kept saying it was low on storage, when i tried to go through storage space and disk management to clean the space it could not clean out anything because everything was needed for the system to work...
  4. OS on separate hard drive.

OS on separate hard drive.: I want to have my Windows 10 PRO on a separate hard drive from everything on my PC. This would make it easy to organize my PC and I would never have to reinstall the OS again. The only problem I have is that some of the software and apps that I've installed on other hard...
  5. how to use file history on a partition (of the same drive) [solved]

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how to use file history on a partition (of the same drive) [solved]: To use a partition you must first turn on the sharing option on it. So click on your partition, go to property, on the sharing tab click on advanced sharing. Share it with yourselves, or the other. Then run: filehistory, click on configure file history select your partition....
  6. partitioning hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    partitioning hard drive: hi all this is a question about GPT UEFI and LEGACY partitions if I install in legacy mode on a 1 TB drive with no partitions will my laptop run ok I dont understand why GPT gives 4 partitions and I dont understand UEFI please explain all 3 options. many thanks to all that...
  7. Move recovery drive to a separate partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Move recovery drive to a separate partition: Hi, I created the USB recovery drive successfully with the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive". Since I needed the USB for another purpose, I transferred the files from the USB to a separate partition on an external HDD and made this drive bootable using...
  8. partitioning hard drive

partitioning hard drive: While I had windows XP I partitioned my hard drive and had ubuntu running side-by-side with windows. When I tried that with windows Vista ubuntu wiped out everything and took over the whole drive. How can I partition my hard drive and install ubuntu without losing win 10?...
  9. Data on separate partition or drive?

Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...
  10. Image / History on separate partitions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Image / History on separate partitions?: I want to create two separate partitions on a portable usb drive. On one partition, I'd like to create a system image using the windows image-creating capability. On the other partition, I would like to use the windows history capability to maintain a continuously updated...