Windows 10: Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

Discus and support Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Not at the same time, just for convenience... I am almost ready to fire up my new system build for the first time. The only things that will be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jim McClain, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

Not at the same time, just for convenience...

I am almost ready to fire up my new system build for the first time. The only things that will be transferred to the new computer from the old is the 5TB data drive and my monitor. I won't be installing the data drive (or the Optane Memory stick that will make it faster) until after I get the new machine up running and updated.

The old system will still be used until I am finally ready to switch the data drive to the new machine. I won't be able to use both computers at the same time because I have only one monitor. But I would like to make switching back and forth between computers easier by attaching 2 display adapter cables to the monitor, with one (the current DVI-D cable) attached to the old system and a HDMI cable attached to the new system. My monitor has both connectors.

My question is, can I keep both cables attached to the monitor and to each computer? As I said, I will not be using (powering up) both computers at the same time. Only one computer will be on at a time. Space is tight and there will still be some crawling under my desk, but I would like to minimize it as much as I can. I decided my new system deserves a new keyboard and mouse (trackball), so I won't need to disconnect/reconnect those. There's still power plugs and Internet (maybe the speakers, but I prob'ly won't worry about those until last). Not having to mess with the display port connectors would save me some exertion.

For those who are curious, here's the new system's specs and some photos of progress:

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
    PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G3
    Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K
    Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4
    RAM: Ballistix 64GB Sport LT Series DDR4 2666MHz
    Display: PNY NVidia Quadro P2000
    Drive C: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1TB
    Drive D: WD Black 5TB HDD
    D Helper: Intel Optane Memory M10 Series 64GB M.2
    Drive E: Lite-On 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW
    Monitor: ASUS PA248Q 24" LED Backlit IPS
    Keyboard: Varmilo VA87M Forest Fairy TKL
    Trackball: Kensington Cordless Expert Mouse

Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers? [​IMG]

:)

Jim McClain, Jun 23, 2019

2. i have a problem to connect 2 monitors.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• What changes did you make in the BIOS? As making the changes in the BIOS is only recommended by Microsoft if done by the manufacturer.
    • How are you connecting to the 2nd monitor?
    I suggest you to follow the steps from this article below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

[Applies to Windows 10 as well]

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Jun 23, 2019
  3. Viktor Win User
    Computer works only with 2 monitors

I have a computer with 2 monitors, connected to the single GTS 250 video card. One with DVI and one with HDMI. Once I unplug one of these monitors, my screen goes black and in few additional seconds, my PC freezes.

Here's what I tried:

1. Reinstall Windows 10
    2. Install different versions of NVidia driver
    3. Plug the single monitor to VGA

And they did not work.

But what worked was:

1. Use Ubuntu 16.04
    2. Use low-resolution mode (F3)

My configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz

VGA: NVIDIA Geforce GTS 250

A minute before each freeze I have this warning:

What could be the reason of this issue and how do I make my PC work with single monitor?

Viktor, Jun 23, 2019
  4. Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

Trouble with 2 monitors

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the settings to Extended Monitor and check if it helps.

Please follow below steps:

• Right Click any ware of the Desktop, and launch Personalization.
    • Go to dual monitor settings under personalization, and change it Extended Monitor.
    Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jun 23, 2019
Thema:

Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

1. Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers? - Similar Threads - single monitor connected

2. How can I use different custom scales for different monitors in windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I use different custom scales for different monitors in windows 11?: Hello, guys! So, I want to use my laptop with a custom scale of 115%, on it's natural resolution, but keep my monitor with 100%. I've tried everything within windows to make that change and it seems imposible. Is there some outside app that can help me with this problem?...
  3. Can I connect two monitors each monitor to a different graphics cards?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I connect two monitors each monitor to a different graphics cards?: So I have 2 vga monitors and I got one connected to vga to hdmi adapter into my gt 1030 graphics card and i want to connect my another vga monitor to my computer intel graphics but the other monitor won't work or show anything. So is it possible to connect another monitor to...
  4. Can I use 2 versions of windows OS on a single PC

Can I use 2 versions of windows OS on a single PC: In my PC I have already windows 7 installed. I want to install windows 10 on the same PC and want to use two versions of OS simultaneously. Is it possible please suggest. If possible I will share the steps in myblog....
  5. Can I use a 3.840x1.080 sreensaver pic for 2 Monitors, so that it is a single pic and not...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use a 3.840x1.080 sreensaver pic for 2 Monitors, so that it is a single pic and not...: It says it in the title, I want to have a pic that i can use so it is a single pic that stretches over both monitors submitted by /u/Destroyer0701 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kgaumb/can_i_use_a_3840x1080_sreensaver_pic_for_2/
  6. 2 Gfx cards/2 monitors: How can I assign a single card for each?

2 Gfx cards/2 monitors: How can I assign a single card for each?: I have 2 graphics cards ASUS GTX 1080 & MSI RTX 2080 Super, and 2 monitors a 4k Vizio tv and 4k ultra-wide. I have Display Port running the 2080 to the ultra-wide monitor, and hdmi running from the MOBO port to the TV. I want the TV to be controlled by the 1080, but I cannot...
  7. Computer won't boot with 2 monitors connected

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't boot with 2 monitors connected: Hello. Recently I have changed my GPU to Sapphire RX 570. I have two old monitors with VGA connections. Previously I used to plug my second monitor to motherboard and my main monitor through HDMI-VGA adapter to my GPU. Since my new GPU have 2 HDMI connections and im usually...
  8. Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?: Not at the same time, just for convenience... I am almost ready to fire up my new system build for the first time. The only things that will be transferred to the new computer from the old is the 5TB data drive and my monitor. I won't be installing the data drive (or the...
  9. Computer won't boot with 2 monitors connected

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't boot with 2 monitors connected: I've been having this problem for about a year now. When I built my PC, I only had one monitor and everything ran smoothly and fine but as soon as I added a second monitor there is a 50/50 chance that my PC will boot up with two monitors connected. When I turn my PC on it...
  10. Can a single ISO be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall Win10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can a single ISO be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall Win10?: Can a single ISO (USB installer) be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall windows10?g used the Microsoft page to create a bootable installation USB drive for my laptop (Acer) via the "Win10-MediaCreationTool" I was wondering if I can use the same one on my other laptop (Dell)?...