Windows 10: Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

Discus and support Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Not at the same time, just for convenience... I am almost ready to fire up my new system build for the first time. The only things that will be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Jim McClain, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

Not at the same time, just for convenience...

I am almost ready to fire up my new system build for the first time. The only things that will be transferred to the new computer from the old is the 5TB data drive and my monitor. I won't be installing the data drive (or the Optane Memory stick that will make it faster) until after I get the new machine up running and updated.

The old system will still be used until I am finally ready to switch the data drive to the new machine. I won't be able to use both computers at the same time because I have only one monitor. But I would like to make switching back and forth between computers easier by attaching 2 display adapter cables to the monitor, with one (the current DVI-D cable) attached to the old system and a HDMI cable attached to the new system. My monitor has both connectors.

My question is, can I keep both cables attached to the monitor and to each computer? As I said, I will not be using (powering up) both computers at the same time. Only one computer will be on at a time. Space is tight and there will still be some crawling under my desk, but I would like to minimize it as much as I can. I decided my new system deserves a new keyboard and mouse (trackball), so I won't need to disconnect/reconnect those. There's still power plugs and Internet (maybe the speakers, but I prob'ly won't worry about those until last). Not having to mess with the display port connectors would save me some exertion.

For those who are curious, here's the new system's specs and some photos of progress:

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
    PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G3
    Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K
    Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4
    RAM: Ballistix 64GB Sport LT Series DDR4 2666MHz
    Display: PNY NVidia Quadro P2000
    Drive C: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1TB
    Drive D: WD Black 5TB HDD
    D Helper: Intel Optane Memory M10 Series 64GB M.2
    Drive E: Lite-On 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW
    Monitor: ASUS PA248Q 24" LED Backlit IPS
    Keyboard: Varmilo VA87M Forest Fairy TKL
    Trackball: Kensington Cordless Expert Mouse

Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers? [​IMG]

:)

Jim McClain, Jun 24, 2019

2. i have a problem to connect 2 monitors.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• What changes did you make in the BIOS? As making the changes in the BIOS is only recommended by Microsoft if done by the manufacturer.
    • How are you connecting to the 2nd monitor?
    I suggest you to follow the steps from this article below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

[Applies to Windows 10 as well]

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Jun 24, 2019
  3. Viktor Win User
    Computer works only with 2 monitors

I have a computer with 2 monitors, connected to the single GTS 250 video card. One with DVI and one with HDMI. Once I unplug one of these monitors, my screen goes black and in few additional seconds, my PC freezes.

Here's what I tried:

1. Reinstall Windows 10
    2. Install different versions of NVidia driver
    3. Plug the single monitor to VGA

And they did not work.

But what worked was:

1. Use Ubuntu 16.04
    2. Use low-resolution mode (F3)

My configuration:

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz

VGA: NVIDIA Geforce GTS 250

A minute before each freeze I have this warning:

What could be the reason of this issue and how do I make my PC work with single monitor?

Viktor, Jun 24, 2019
  4. Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

Trouble with 2 monitors

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the settings to Extended Monitor and check if it helps.

Please follow below steps:

• Right Click any ware of the Desktop, and launch Personalization.
    • Go to dual monitor settings under personalization, and change it Extended Monitor.
    Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jun 24, 2019
Thema:

Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

1. Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers? - Similar Threads - single monitor connected

2. Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can I use a single monitor connected to 2 different computers?: Not at the same time, just for convenience... I am almost ready to fire up my new system build for the first time. The only things that will be transferred to the new computer from the old is the 5TB data drive and my monitor. I won't be installing the data drive (or the...
  3. 2 Different ethernet connections.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 Different ethernet connections.: My ethernet connection(s) are very flaky, software frequently complaining that it is not connected. I think it is because I have 2 Different ethernet connections, Ethernet and Ethernet2; my "Home" workgroup appears to exist only on the Ethernet2 connection. How can I...
  4. Can I see the screens of connected monitors?

Can I see the screens of connected monitors?: Can I see the screens of multiple connected devices on my primary monitor? I extended my screen to those devices and want to see what is going on those screens. Is it possible?...
  5. Computer won't boot with 2 monitors connected

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't boot with 2 monitors connected: I've been having this problem for about a year now. When I built my PC, I only had one monitor and everything ran smoothly and fine but as soon as I added a second monitor there is a 50/50 chance that my PC will boot up with two monitors connected. When I turn my PC on it...
  6. Connecting 2 monitors to my laptop

Connecting 2 monitors to my laptop: I have a HP Envy x360 and I need to connect 2 monitors to it. I also purchased a Targus VersaLink Dual Video Docking Station. I have connected it all but still cannot get both external monitors to work....any advise??...
  7. Multi-Monitor Connection Differences

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Multi-Monitor Connection Differences: I started a new job recently, and have been using two Dell U2515H monitors connected to a Dell docking station via DisplayPort connections. I'm having many issues with the monitors not always displaying after my computer turns off the displays, or even after a reboot....
  8. 2 computers 2 different networks

2 computers 2 different networks: I have 2 HP Desktops that I cannot get to communicate with each other. Did not have this problem before the "Automatic" Windows 10 upgrade. The machines are identical except that 1 has Windows 10 Pro and the other Windows 10 Home. I can see both computers on the network, but...
  9. Can I have 2 homegroups for 2 of his computers and 2 of her computers.

Can I have 2 homegroups for 2 of his computers and 2 of her computers.: My wife and I each have 2 win 10 computers and would like mine to both have the same files and hers to have the same files etc. I don't want mine to interfere with hers and hers to interfere with mine. I have no experience with networking and my brain is hampered with...
  10. Can a single ISO be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall Win10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can a single ISO be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall Win10?: Can a single ISO (USB installer) be used on 2 different PCs to reinstall windows10?g used the Microsoft page to create a bootable installation USB drive for my laptop (Acer) via the "Win10-MediaCreationTool" I was wondering if I can use the same one on my other laptop (Dell)?...