Windows 10: Can I use a thumb drive when asked for a Bitlocker Recovery Key?

Discus and support Can I use a thumb drive when asked for a Bitlocker Recovery Key? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Bitlocker offers the option to save the Recovery Key to a drive other than the encrypted drive. If I save the key to a thumb drive and later, for some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bazsl1, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Bazsl1 Win User

Can I use a thumb drive when asked for a Bitlocker Recovery Key?

Bitlocker offers the option to save the Recovery Key to a drive other than the encrypted drive. If I save the key to a thumb drive and later, for some reason, I am prompted for the Recovery Key when I start my PC, can I simply insert the thumb drive instead of manually entering the Recovery Key? Thanks.

:)

Bazsl1, Aug 16, 2019
  2. pj04 Win User

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

Can I use a thumb drive when asked for a Bitlocker Recovery Key? [​IMG]

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

Can I use a thumb drive when asked for a Bitlocker Recovery Key? [​IMG]

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

3. recovery bitlocker blue screen

Hi Rick,

Please follow the suggestions below and check if you are able to boot to your desktop.

• Places to look for your BitLocker key:
      • On a printout you saved. Look in places you keep important papers.
      • Saved on a USB flash drive. Plug the USB flash drive into your locked PC and follow the instructions. If you saved the key as a text file on the flash drive, use a different computer to read the text file.
      • In your Microsoft account. To get your recovery key, go to
        BitLocker Recovery Keys.

• Or ask someone for help:
      • Ask someone with administrator privileges on the same PC to unlock it with their key.
      • If your PC is connected to a domain (usually a work or school computer), ask a system administrator for your recovery key

Hope this helps in resolving the bitlocker recovery keys. Keep us posted on the bitlocker recovery key issues. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Aug 16, 2019
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Xylee Del, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Can I use a thumb drive when asked for a Bitlocker Recovery Key? - Similar Threads - thumb drive asked

2. When i turned on my laptop it asked bitlocker recovery key everytime. how i can disabled...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When i turned on my laptop it asked bitlocker recovery key everytime. how i can disabled...: When i turned on my laptop it asked bitlocker recovery key everytime. how i can disabled it permanently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-turned-on-my-laptop-it-asked-bitlocker/abcf8580-d7b0-4cdc-aae2-fd1e82dc0be8
  3. When i turned on my laptop it asked bitlocker recovery key everytime. how i can disabled...

in Windows 10 Customization
    When i turned on my laptop it asked bitlocker recovery key everytime. how i can disabled...: When i turned on my laptop it asked bitlocker recovery key everytime. how i can disabled it permanently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-turned-on-my-laptop-it-asked-bitlocker/abcf8580-d7b0-4cdc-aae2-fd1e82dc0be8
  4. What to do if BitLocker asks for a recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What to do if BitLocker asks for a recovery key: Technical difficulty: AdvancedApplies to: Windows 10/11A detailed explanation of what Device Encryption is, can be found here: What is device encryption, and should I use it? - Microsoft CommunityBitlocker uses the same technology but has more advanced features.Why does...
  5. Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: Windows is asking for BitLocker Recovery Key.I've already been forwarded to link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key-fd2b3501-a4b9-61e9-f5e6-2a545ad77b3eHowever my windows account says I don't have any recovery keys associated with my...
  6. BitLocker asking for recovery key after KB4535680

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BitLocker asking for recovery key after KB4535680: I have installed updates from 12th january, including KB4535680. After installation, BitLocker ask for a recovery key on boot up. Probably because the updates added dbx modules to the UEFI. This issue is also described here:...
  7. Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop asking for Bitlocker Recovery Key: My laptop has recently been stuck in a boot-loop where it keeps booting to the blue recovery menu probably because Windows is corrupted. I am unable to reset the computer as the drive is encrypted with bitlocker and I need a BitLocker Recovery Key. The problem is that I...
  8. Bitlocker often - but not always - asks for recovery key when I restart or unhibernate...

Bitlocker often - but not always - asks for recovery key when I restart or unhibernate...: A few days ago, I installed BitLocker on my Microsoft Surface Pro IV with Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, OS Build 18362.356. Since then, sometimes, but not always, it asks for my Bitlocker Recovery Key. When I enter it, it then restarts. I don't remember if this happens when...
  9. Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt

Bitlocker asking for recovery key on every startup after encrypting the drive using VeraCrypt: Hi, I don't know if this question has been asked already, but here it is: Since I've encrypted my system disk on my tablet with veracrypt, bitlocker is asking it's recovery key each time on boot because (what the error message says in eventviewer) it can't contact the TPM...
  10. Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login: So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. if i have info on a thumb drive can i use bitlocker