Windows 10: Can I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool?

Discus and support Can I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; an I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Stephen Weiss jr, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Can I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool?

an I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool?

:)

Stephen Weiss jr, Jan 1, 2019

2. Can't install update on external hard drive?

Thank you for that information Laura.

Since the Update Assistant is still not offering the option to install updates in external drive, I suggest that you create a bootable media using a USB flash drive and another one where we will install the updates. See

Create Windows 10 installation media
    and follow the steps under "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file)" to learn how.

Afterwards, follow the steps below on how to install updates :

• Connect both the USB flash drive with Windows 10 installation files
      and the other empty USB flash drive.
    • Double-click the Setup.exe file to launch the Windows 10 installation from the USB flash drive.
    • Select the Keep personal files and apps option to update your computer.
    • If you get the "Windows needs more space" option, click the
      Choose another drive
      or attach an external drive with 10GB available link.
    • Click Install
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process as necessary.

We appreciate your patience Laura. Don't hesitate to post back if you need more help.

Israel Arn, Jan 1, 2019
  3. Ztruker Win User
    Failed Media Creation Tool attempt at bootable USB flash drive

Shawn, these are the steps being referred to that NavyLCDR posted. They work for both UEFI and MBR.

Here are the steps to create a standard Windows 10 USB flash drive:

1. Use the Media Creation Tool to download and save the ISO file to your hard drive.
    2. Insert the USB flash drive.
    3. Open a Administrator Command Prompt and enter: diskpart (if it isn't an administrator command prompt, it will ask for administrator permission).
    4. list disk
    5. select disk # <- replace # with the actual disk number of the USB flash drive
    6. clean <- this will erase the disk selected above, make sure you selected the USB flash drive!
    7. create part pri
    8. format fs=fat32 quick
    9. active
    10. exit
    11. exit - and if the first Command Prompt was not an Administrator Command Prompt, exit that one too.
    11. Mount the ISO file saved by the Media Creation Tool. If you are using Windows 8 or 10, you only have to right click on it and click on mount. If you are using Windows 7, then you must use a program like WinCDEmu to mount the ISO file:
    WinCDEmu - the easiest way to mount an ISO. And more...
    12. Copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive.

That's as simple as it gets. Between steps 7 and 8 you can enter: "select part 1" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.
    Between steps 8 and 9 you can enter: "assign" without quotes - but it should not be necessary.

Ztruker, Jan 1, 2019
  4. Can I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool?

How to install Windows 10 Version 1709 update on external hard disk

Hi Janis,

If the Update assistant is not presenting an option to install the 1709 update in an external drive, here's a workaround on how to install the update using an empty USB flash drives.

Before we proceed, you'll need a few things:

• Two empty USB flash drives, each with at least 16GB in size.
    • Two free USB ports on your device.

Now, to create Windows 10 installation media using a USB flash drive, click
    here.

Click the Download Tool Now and follow the steps under "Using the tool to create installation media".

To install a Windows 10 update from a flash drive, follow the steps below:

• Connect both the USB flash drive with the Windows 10 installation files and the other empty USB flash drive.
    • Double-click the Setup.exe file to open the Windows 10 installation from the USB flash drive.
    • Choose the Keep personal files and apps option to only update your PC.
    • If you get the "Windows needs more space" option, click the
      Choose another drive or attach an external drive with 10GB available
      link.
    • Select your empty USB flash drive to serve as temporary storage.
    • Click Refresh.
    • Click Install.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process as necessary.

In any case that the suggested workaround didn't work, you can submit a report using the Feedback Hub that lets you tell Microsoft about any problems you run in to while using Windows 10 and send suggestions
    to help us improve your Windows experience.

Let us know how it goes.

Israel Arn, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

Can I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool?

1. Can I use an external HD like a usb flash drive to use the media installation tool? - Similar Threads - external usb flash

2. Can i use the USB Flash Drive option for my ssd on Windows 10 media creation tool?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can i use the USB Flash Drive option for my ssd on Windows 10 media creation tool?: I dont have a usb stick or a usb drive, is it okay to use my ssd for this option? will anything bad happen when i do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-the-usb-flash-drive-option-for-my-ssd-on/a46938ea-537c-418b-bb17-fae03c1569af
  3. Can i use the USB Flash Drive option for my ssd on Windows 10 media creation tool?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can i use the USB Flash Drive option for my ssd on Windows 10 media creation tool?: I dont have a usb stick or a usb drive, is it okay to use my ssd for this option? will anything bad happen when i do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-the-usb-flash-drive-option-for-my-ssd-on/a46938ea-537c-418b-bb17-fae03c1569af
  4. Can i use the USB Flash Drive option for my ssd on Windows 10 media creation tool?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can I use a new external HD as a Windows 10 boot media in lieu of a USB flash drive, then...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use a new external HD as a Windows 10 boot media in lieu of a USB flash drive, then...: My PC got caught in a scary loop where it starts booting then restarts during my motherboard splash screen, then shows a message reading "Preparing automatic repair" during the motherboard splash screen, then reboots, and the whole cycle repeats. I can get to my BIOS with F2...
  6. can i use the same flash drive for media creation tool and as file backup ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    can i use the same flash drive for media creation tool and as file backup ?: I wanted to freshly reinstall windows. Thing is i backed up my stuff on my only flash drive. But media creatin tool will nuke the flash drive. Can I use media creation tool first and then copy all my stuff on to my flash drive ? or do i have to leave it alone with just the...
  7. Using a flash-drive or external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using a flash-drive or external hard drive: Recently every time I try to use a flash-drive or an external hard drive, I get this message. I don't have a problem using the logitech wireless adaptor for my mouse/keyboard but when I insert a flash-drive or external hard drive this pops up. [ATTACH]...
  8. Can’t repair Windows’s with media creation tool using flash drive

Can’t repair Windows’s with media creation tool using flash drive: I’ve been having serious issues with my pc that started this morning. My pc was being extremely slow after I closed Steam because it was lagging so I decided to restart my pc. When I did on startup it said it was fixing files and I let it go through with it, but when it...
  9. BSOD when Using A Flash drive or external HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD when Using A Flash drive or external HD: I m having a problem with my computer ,when ever i copy a large file from my external HD or Flash Drive to my computer, it freeze when copying process is on 30-50%, Then BSOD - CLOCK WATCH DOG TIME OUT Appears.... my board is GA-A320M-S2H v2 and i already update its bios...
  10. Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool?

Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool?: Hi, Ive used Rufus successfully before to create Bootable USB Flash Drive Windows 10 Installation Media. This time I wanted to do a clean installation and cut out the need for Third Party Rufus by just using the Windows Media Creation Tool to create my bootable USB flash...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i use an external hd as an installation media

2. use an external hd like a usb

3. windows media installer tool to external drive