Windows 10: Can I use my computer without Bitlock key?

Discus and support Can I use my computer without Bitlock key? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have not used my old computer for a while, and when I tried turning it back on, it needs my bitlock recovery key. I have switched schools and can no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Isla Mclean - Student, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Can I use my computer without Bitlock key?

I have not used my old computer for a while, and when I tried turning it back on, it needs my bitlock recovery key. I have switched schools and can no longer remember my old account, and therefore cannot access my account. Is there a way I can still use my computer without this?

:)

Isla Mclean - Student, Apr 20, 2024
  2. Xylee Del Win User
    Xylee Del, Apr 21, 2024
  3. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Apr 21, 2024
  4. Tim B 79 Win User

Can I use my computer without Bitlock key?

Recorded BitLocker Key / Swapped Drive / Permanently lost BitLocker Key?

The gist: Lenovo support recommended a drive swap (from corporate computer with broken screen to temporary one). Initially, the BitLocker key worked and now it fails. IT told me it cannot be salvaged.

Computers: Corporate Windows Lenovo ThinkPad P15 Gen2's and we use "Intune."

Steps:

1. I'm instructed by IT & Lenovo to send my computer in for repairs seemingly unrelated to the hard drive (monitor completely black with power on). Lenovo warns "ANY" repair can destroy all data and recommends a drive swap. Confirm with 3 Lenovo representatives this is okay for relative novice.
    2. Record BitLocker key and perform the swap.
    3. Restart temp computer, input key on blue screen and everything's good but Microsoft Teams.
    4. Repeat step 3.
    5. Restart temp computer, input key on blue screen and Teams works.
    6. Restart temp computer and BitLocker no longer accepts the key.
    7. Lenovo sends back fixed computer. Install original SSD. Screen is fixed, but BitLocker no longer accepts the key.
    8. My Account shows two devices -- with the same name -- associated to me. The "Inactive" one has my recorded key. The "Active" one says, "No BitLocker recovery key found for this device."
    9. IT says BitLocker keys should rotate when doing what I did. Initially, they failed to rotate -- the reason why steps 3 - 5 "worked." Then, the rotation happened -- step 6 -- but the new BitLocker key wasn't saved anywhere. I am currently assuming they would have checked something like the Azure Active Directory.
    10. Part of me doesn't believe the BitLocker key couldn't have been saved anywhere. I know what I did isn't typical for an employee, but still there have to be a lot of drive swaps in the world -- saving BitLocker keys can't be this fragile.
    I know this is long and appreciate any assistance. Have a good year in any event.

Sincerely,

Tim

Tim B 79, Apr 21, 2024
Thema:

Can I use my computer without Bitlock key?

1. Can I use my computer without Bitlock key? - Similar Threads - computer without Bitlock

2. Can I unlock Bitlocker without a key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I unlock Bitlocker without a key?: I've recently swapped my Windows 10 hard disk in my HP Pro 400 desktop with a new SSD drive, and installed Windows 10 Pro because my PC my PC was getting slow. However, when I connect my old hard disk back to backup my file I got the blue Bitlocker Screen. I didn't set any...
  3. Can I unlock Bitlocker without a key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I unlock Bitlocker without a key?: I've recently swapped my Windows 10 hard disk in my HP Pro 400 desktop with a new SSD drive, and installed Windows 10 Pro because my PC my PC was getting slow. However, when I connect my old hard disk back to backup my file I got the blue Bitlocker Screen. I didn't set any...
  4. Can I unlock Bitlocker without a key?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Can I disable my BitLocker without admin rights, but with the bitlocker recovery key?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can I disable my BitLocker without admin rights, but with the bitlocker recovery key?: I have a laptop running on Windows 10 Home with an admin and user account. I use the user account, but forgot the password of the admin account. I don't have a recovery stick for it, neither do my answers to "what was your first pet" etc. work.Now I tried booting a tool from...
  6. Can I disable my BitLocker without admin rights, but with the bitlocker recovery key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I disable my BitLocker without admin rights, but with the bitlocker recovery key?: I have a laptop running on Windows 10 Home with an admin and user account. I use the user account, but forgot the password of the admin account. I don't have a recovery stick for it, neither do my answers to "what was your first pet" etc. work.Now I tried booting a tool from...
  7. Can I disable my BitLocker without admin rights, but with the bitlocker recovery key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can I use my computer without Bitlock key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I use my computer without Bitlock key?: I have not used my old computer for a while, and when I tried turning it back on, it needs my bitlock recovery key. I have switched schools and can no longer remember my old account, and therefore cannot access my account. Is there a way I can still use my computer without...
  9. Can I use my computer without Bitlock key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use my computer without Bitlock key?: I have not used my old computer for a while, and when I tried turning it back on, it needs my bitlock recovery key. I have switched schools and can no longer remember my old account, and therefore cannot access my account. Is there a way I can still use my computer without...
  10. Can I use BitLocker without activating Windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use BitLocker without activating Windows?: I use Home and I'm wanting to encrypt my disk. I don't have money to buy Pro and eBay keys are shady for me to trust. submitted by /u/complexramification [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ht93f1/can_i_use_bitlocker_without_activating_windows/