Windows 10: Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop?

Discus and support Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Via hdmi submitted by /u/celestial_god [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/celestial_god, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop?

/u/celestial_god, Jan 30, 2021
  2. Swapna S Win User

Desktop shortcuts appear on external monitor instead of pc

Hi,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing in getting
    desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

This issue might occur due to default settings where you are not able to view the desktop shortcuts on the PC, you are looking for.

Before proceeding further, I would like to ask few questions for better assistance:

• Which edition of Windows are you working with?
    Please follow below mentioned steps to fix the issue:

• Plug in the second monitor which physically sits to the left of your primary screen

• Right click the desktop, choose
      Graphic Options>Output To>Extended Desktop> Built-in display + Monitor.

• Extended desktop enabled, but screen 2 (on the left) can only be accessed by moving the cursor to the right.

• Right click the desktop and choose
      Graphic Properties - choose 'Multiple Displays' from the side menu.

• Move monitor 2 from its default
      'Right' side to the left – all the icons go with it
      to screen 2 but the taskbar stays on the primary monitor.

• Click 'Apply' to accept this (temporarily) - close the
      'properties' window.

• Right Click the desktop, but this time choose
      'Screen Resolution'. Ensure that screen 2 is to the left - if not, move it.

• Click on screen 1 and ensure it says
      'This is currently your main display'

• Click on screen 2 and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar should move to screen 2.

• Finally click on Screen 1 again and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar and
      all the icons should move back to screen 1.
    I would like to Inform/suggest, Press the
    Windows key + P, and then choose a way to project:

• PC screen only
      – All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on primary monitor/Desktop.

• Duplicate- Desktop Shortcuts that is on primary monitor/Desktop will replicate on Secondary monitor too.

• Extend- Primary monitor will be extended to Secondary monitor. But all the desktop shortcuts will appear only on primary monitor. (If you want to have the desktop
      shortcuts that’s on primary monitor on secondary monitor, you can just drag the shortcuts from primary to secondary monitor and check if that helps).

• Second screen only- All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on Secondary monitor/Desktop.
    Please get back to us, if you still facing issue
    in getting desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Jan 30, 2021
  3. DKJu Win User
    Desktop icons move to primary monitor after connecting external monitor

Original title: Desktop icons move

After I arrange my desktop icons on my laptop, everything is fine until I plug in an external monitor. Then all icons move to the right of my laptop screen which is my primary display. How do I correct this problem so that icons DO NOT move with an external
    monitor attached?

4. Nikhar_K Win User

Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop?

How to make external monitor as primary monitor?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to make the external monitor connected to the laptop as a primary display and do not want to mirror the laptop display.

We would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + P, and select
      Extend.
    2. Now, press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings.
    3. Click on System, and select
      Display
      on the left pane.
    4. Now, under Rearrange your displays, click on Identify to
      Identify the displays.
    5. Click on the display number that is for external monitor.
    6. Scroll down, and click on the checkbox for
      Make this my main display.

Refer the screenshots below:

Identify and select Display:

Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop? 011e4133-69c0-4702-8fd5-668b7efa16bb?upload=true.png

Select Primary display:

Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop? 2aee1086-e3a9-454e-96b5-5fc599d2efbc?upload=true.png

For additional information, see
    Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop?

1. Can I use my laptop as a primary monitor for my desktop? - Similar Threads - laptop primary monitor

2. Can I use a portable monitor as a primary monitor. I was using a smart TV and I don't want...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use a portable monitor as a primary monitor. I was using a smart TV and I don't want...: I've been using a smart TV as my monitor I want to buy a portable monitor and use it and no longer use the TV is it possible to use a portable monitor as a primary use for my desktop...
  3. Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my Xbox?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my Xbox?: I want to use my laptop as my monitor in college rather than bringing a whole tv. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-my-laptop-as-a-monitor-for-my-xbox/941e5437-7f7d-4085-b066-e4c367b21715
  4. Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my Xbox?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my Xbox?: I want to use my laptop as my monitor in college rather than bringing a whole tv. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-my-laptop-as-a-monitor-for-my-xbox/941e5437-7f7d-4085-b066-e4c367b21715
  5. Can I use an external monitor as my primary monitor even when I restart my laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use an external monitor as my primary monitor even when I restart my laptop?: I have a lenovo ideapad 320, so it's a little bit old and the problem is its screen already has a crack on one corner. I can still use it and as a matter of fact, it's what I'm using while writing this question. I want to know if I can connect my laptop to an external monitor...
  6. Can I use an external monitor as my primary monitor even when I restart my laptop?

Can I use an external monitor as my primary monitor even when I restart my laptop?: I have a lenovo ideapad 320, so it's a little bit old and the problem is its screen already has a crack on one corner. I can still use it and as a matter of fact, it's what I'm using while writing this question. I want to know if I can connect my laptop to an external monitor...
  7. Can I use an external monitor as my primary monitor even when I restart my laptop?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. trying to use my Desktop as a monitor for my Laptop but it’s not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    trying to use my Desktop as a monitor for my Laptop but it’s not working: l am trying to use my Dell Desktop Inspiron 2350 All-in-one desktop as a Monitor for my Acer Laptop. I bought the correct HDMI cable and the shop owner told me to connect the cable with my laptop HDMI OUT port andexternal display HDMI IN port.I told him it didn't work and he...
  9. trying to use my Desktop as a monitor for my Laptop but it’s not working

trying to use my Desktop as a monitor for my Laptop but it’s not working: l am trying to use my Dell Desktop Inspiron 2350 All-in-one desktop as a Monitor for my Acer Laptop. I bought the correct HDMI cable and the shop owner told me to connect the cable with my laptop HDMI OUT port andexternal display HDMI IN port.I told him it didn't work and he...
  10. Using my laptop, additional monitor, and virtual desktop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using my laptop, additional monitor, and virtual desktop.: I apologize if this has been asked. I've scoured for the answer and either can't find it or my situation is a bit different. I use my laptop and monitor a bit different than what I have seen online. My monitor is large so I don't really need it to be side by side with my...