Windows 10: Can I use my router without modem?

Discus and support Can I use my router without modem? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; As the title, earlier I can use my router without my modem, but now I can't use it anymore. When I turn on my router, It said that there is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pradanarianto, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Can I use my router without modem?

As the title, earlier I can use my router without my modem, but now I can't use it anymore.
    When I turn on my router, It said that there is "Unidentified Network"
    Can anybody solve this, or I should use my modem again. Because my router is not connected to internet. I just use it to shares files, printing, etc.

thanks before...

:)

pradanarianto, Feb 23, 2017
  2. Julie fka profjulie, Feb 23, 2017
  3. TampaGirl Win User
    Can I use my phone as an internet router in my home?

Thank you Prof Julie. I looked up the software and found it should probably address my needs. And it's only $20! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. You're the best,

TampaGirl, Feb 23, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Can I use my router without modem?

Right, the Router is for an internal Network as you described. There is an Uplink port on Routers to connect to a Modem whether Cable or DSL. In my case I have a small device plugged into my Router that connects to a small dish for Wireless DSL, essentially a 2-way radio. If you want Internet service you need the Modem but for 1 computer could do without the Router. Most Routers are also Wireless where one can use Wireless devices such as Notebooks/Laptops, Smart Phones, Tablets, etc., for Internet access. The Modem is the interface between a computer or Router and the Internet or WAN/Wide Area Network. The internal Network is also known as a LAN/Local Area Network.

Berton, Feb 23, 2017
Thema:

Can I use my router without modem?

1. Can I use my router without modem? - Similar Threads - router without modem

2. Can windows virus effect modem/router

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can windows virus effect modem/router: If I have a virus on my windows device, can it spread to effect my internet modem? Or would the virus have to directly target the modem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/can-windows-virus-effect-modemrouter/9f5a1af5-079a-4470-bcff-96333d34e704
  3. using both ports on my Netgear C6230 (modem/router) with a switch

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    using both ports on my Netgear C6230 (modem/router) with a switch: I bought a Netgear C6230 modem/router and a Netgear GS108Ev3 switch. The modem/router has two ports numbered 1 and 2. I was thinking I could use 1 for ports 2-4 on the switch and 5 for ports 6-8. The switch can do VLAN which I think means you can assign separate ports (1-8)...
  4. Use modem/router combo as router only

Use modem/router combo as router only: I purchased an Arris SURFboard SBG6700-AC (modem/wifi combo) several years ago. I moved to another city with a different ISP. The cable guy could not get this to communicate with his cable system. There is an 80-year-old woman (neighbor) who has internet but no wifi. I bought...
  5. Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router

Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router: I am thinking of converting to NBN service in Australia. However, my setup at the moment is single box ADSL modem with a switching router, which I connect my equipment to its LAN ports. With the new NBN standalone modem, how do I connect to the existing switch router...
  6. Can i use a Laptop as a modem?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can i use a Laptop as a modem?: I have a Laptop which is connected with the internet via WLAN. My PC has no WLAN and I have no LAN-Cable long enough for my new room. Can i connect the Laptop with my PC and let my PC connect via the Laptops WLAN to the internet? submitted by /u/garciiia [link]...
  7. Cable Modem/router + Personal router

Cable Modem/router + Personal router: My cable company provides a box that is a modem & router. I also use my own router attached to the cable modem. I have done nothing to the cable box except attach a cable from my router to it. Do I need to "Bridge" the cable router or can I use the WiFi from it along with the...
  8. Finding the type of modem being used without looking at the modem itself.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Finding the type of modem being used without looking at the modem itself.: I am new to computers in general. However, I do know that in Windows 7 a person was able to get all of the information they needed about their pc such as cpu model etc. by clicking in the systems and properties selections. Now with Windows 10 all this has changed and I...
  9. Can you get a virus/hack from buying a used modem/router?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can you get a virus/hack from buying a used modem/router?: We have internet where the modem and router we use came from the internet company. They told us a while back if we ever not want the service anymore, we have to return the modem and wireless router. Thus imagine something like comcast etc. Well they started to charge $10 a...
  10. Nightly reset for modem and router.

Nightly reset for modem and router.: Is it ok to do nightly resets on my router and modem? Im making "network closet" which will hold my Nighthawk x6 and surfboard modem. I never thought about resetting them on a nightly basic tell now. this way i can flush them fresh every morning. or is this pointless? 89858