Windows 10: Can I use old Win7 key to get Win10 on new PC?

Discus and support Can I use old Win7 key to get Win10 on new PC? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Back in 2016 I bought Windows 7 Professional. I still have the product key. I used this on my PC at the time to install Windows 7. I then used the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Blazedsin, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Can I use old Win7 key to get Win10 on new PC?

Back in 2016 I bought Windows 7 Professional. I still have the product key.

I used this on my PC at the time to install Windows 7. I then used the free upgrade to move to Windows 10 (Edition: Windows 10 RTM Professional Retail).

I'm building a new computer in January and I'm wondering; do I need to buy windows 10, or can I reuse my Windows 7 product key that I bought back in 2016 to get windows 10 on it?

Thanks in advance for any helpCan I use old Win7 key to get Win10 on new PC? :)

submitted by /u/Blazedsin
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Blazedsin, Dec 14, 2020
  2. UBE Chief Win User

Curious about my Win7 key and moving to Win10.

Yes, that is the plan with the new build, but as I am also using that same key on my old build, to give to my family to use, would that still be possible?

For example: I reinstall Win7 on my old PC. The activation goes through, all is well.

Next, I install Win10 on my new build, and when it asks for a key, I provide my the key I used for Win7.

Will it go through as well? And if it does, will the other PC, running Win7, encounter issues because I used the same key on my new PC for Win10?

UBE Chief, Dec 14, 2020
  3. Win7 key to reinstall Win10

My PC used to run Win7 when I bought it few years ago, upgraded it to Win10 later as it was free.

I would like to reinstall my windows 10 now but do I use my old Win7 product key to reinstall Win10? or is the key no longer usable at all?

HenryLaw_1989, Dec 14, 2020
  4. dahas Win User

Can I use old Win7 key to get Win10 on new PC?

WIN10 HOMEGROUP not accessible by WIN7 PCs

Hello,

I cannot connect my WIN 7(home) PCs (3 of them) to a homegoup created on a new Windows 10 (home) computer.

The WIN 7 PC see each other without any issue.

Here’s how I proceeded:

• Leave all homegroups on the WIN7 PCs
    • Create a new homegroup on the WIN10 pc with the same group
    • The WIN7 PCs see the new homegroup
    • Click on join and enter password
    • After some time I get a message that connection was not possible

I’ve also tried to create the homegroup on a WIN7 pc. The WIN10 pc can see and accept to join but the shares are not visible.

Running WIN 10 1709 HOME

dahas, Dec 14, 2020
Thema:

Can I use old Win7 key to get Win10 on new PC?

1. Can I use old Win7 key to get Win10 on new PC? - Similar Threads - old Win7 key

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  4. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?: I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-old-not-in-use-laptop-with-win7-product/7176e101-a954-4b38-9d24-5c7a87b1d08d
  6. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?: I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-old-not-in-use-laptop-with-win7-product/7176e101-a954-4b38-9d24-5c7a87b1d08d
  7. I have an old not-in use laptop with win7 product key. Can I use the product key for new pc?

8. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?: I bought Win7 in 2009 and got a product key. I was under the impression I could use that to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop I had at the time is long gone. The next laptop came with an OEM Win 10. Now I am about to buy a new one. I'd like to save a some money and buy it without...
  9. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?: I bought Win7 in 2009 and got a product key. I was under the impression I could use that to upgrade to Win 10. The laptop I had at the time is long gone. The next laptop came with an OEM Win 10. Now I am about to buy a new one. I'd like to save a some money and buy it without...
  10. Can I use my Win7 Ultimate key to install/upgade to Win10 on new PC?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade