Windows 10: Can I use System Image to move Windows 10 from SSD using 512 byte sectors to new SSD using...

Discus and support Can I use System Image to move Windows 10 from SSD using 512 byte sectors to new SSD using... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can I use System Image to move Windows 10 from SSD using 512 byte sectors to new SSD using 4K sectors?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RealBusUser, May 31, 2019.

1. Can I use System Image to move Windows 10 from SSD using 512 byte sectors to new SSD using...

Can I use System Image to move Windows 10 from SSD using 512 byte sectors to new SSD using 4K sectors?

:)

RealBusUser, May 31, 2019

2. Will I harm my SSD if Windows 10 image created from an old HDD with 512 bytes per sector is installed on it?

You have no problems as your sectors are aligned properly.

Many manufacturers have set their hard disks to 4k per sector but considering compatibility with operating system, manufacturers emulate a 4k sector to 8 512-byte sectors to manage data, which is the so called 512e.

Moreover, as NTFS becomes the standard file system whose default allocation unit size (cluster size) is 4K, the physical 4K sector may be misaligned with the 4K cluster.

As a result, reading data in 1 cluster will read 2 physical 4K sectors so that data read and write speed will be reduced. Cluster size is set by the system rather than hard disk manufacturers.

Therefore, it is very necessary to make them aligned if we want to get best SSD optimization, and to align partition can achieve this goal.

In Windows 7 and more recent OS, all newly created partitions will be aligned automatically. However, if you migrate Windows to SSD or change partition size and location on SSD frequently, your partitions may be misaligned. To check whether partitions are aligned:

Run diskpart as administrator and type these commands one by one:
    list disk,
    select disk n (n being the number of SSD),
    list partition.

If the value under "Offset" can be divided by 4, the very partition is aligned. For example if the offset value is 32K it is aligned as 32/4 gives a whole number (8). However, if the volume cannot be divided by 4, you will need to perform a partition alignment.

Another way of checking alignment is to look at "partition starting offset" in your second picture. 173,012,942,848 bytes can be divided by 4k (4096 bytes). 173,012,942,848/4096=42,239,488

Chris Rogers, May 31, 2019
  3. System Image on new SSD

Recently my HDD failed in my laptop, I had previously created a system image on an external hard drive and a repair disk on a DVD. I created the system image in a subfolder of the external drive as it contains multiple system images for different computers.
    I have a new SSD that I am installing in place of my failed HDD, I have tried booting with the repair disk and recovering my system image to the new SSD without success, and just tried using AOMEI partition assistant but from what I can see, this software
    only installs current OS onto new SSD. I am using a second laptop and want to transfer/recover the system image from my external drive to the new SSD, any ideas on using AOMEI, other software, or figuring out how to properly do this using Windows recovery?

thecreator159, May 31, 2019
  4. slance310 Win User

Can I use System Image to move Windows 10 from SSD using 512 byte sectors to new SSD using...

System Image on new SSD

Hi,

It may be that it is not looking for the System Image in sub folders...

It may also be because the SSD is Not "Initialized" and\or formatted...

A System Image is normally not recognized if the Repair Media you are booting with is of a older version, but that shouldn't apply to you if you made them both at the same time..

There are a number of free BOOTABLE 3rd party utilities that would allow you to Initialize\Format your SSD...

If you have any Windows 7 installation media you can boot with, you can use that to setup the SSD... Just start a Custom Install, then either format the drive as is, or select "NEW" and proceed… Once the drive is setup click NEXT, then cancel the install...

BTW... This is a Windows 7 machine correct ? Sometimes Windows 10 machines end up in the Win 7 forum because of the name of the imaging tool...

slance310, May 31, 2019
Thema:

Can I use System Image to move Windows 10 from SSD using 512 byte sectors to new SSD using...

1. Can I use System Image to move Windows 10 from SSD using 512 byte sectors to new SSD using... - Similar Threads - System Image move

2. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD: My C: drive is a 500GB SSD with Windows 10 and several other programs and games, including FSX Steam and tons of 3rd party airplanes, airports and scenery. It is getting full. I want to buy a new SSD to hold only Windows 10 leaving all the other programs and games on the...
  3. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD: My C: drive is a 500GB SSD with Windows 10 and several other programs and games, including FSX Steam and tons of 3rd party airplanes, airports and scenery. It is getting full. I want to buy a new SSD to hold only Windows 10 leaving all the other programs and games on the...
  4. Move Windows 10 from an SSD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Win 10 System use 100% ssd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 System use 100% ssd: This isn't the first time i've asked the community for help on this in the title but this one i found the problem and it's system of win 10 file take 100% ssd and and sometimes my hdd.Sorry but i dont have a pic.Any suggestion on how to fix this problem? And I also have a lot...
  6. SSD Storage gone after using a system restore image

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Storage gone after using a system restore image: Hi guys, Yesterday I reinstalled Windows 10 onto my new 1TB SSD after a few months of not having it. After installing I decided to use my system restore image so i can get all files and apps back. Once that was completed, I noticed that i got a notification saying that...
  7. Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it OK to use system restore on an SSD?: I came across an old thread on here and elsewhere on the internet that discussed System Restore usage on an SSD. I am aware that Defragging shouldn't be done on SSD's as it will wear the SSD out a lot faster. I also know that Windows 10 is set up by default to Optimise the...
  8. Deactivate Windows for use on new SSD?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deactivate Windows for use on new SSD?: Hello, I got a new laptop, but it only has a 128GB SSD, so I'm going to switch it with a 1TB SSD. Is there any way to move Windows 10, pre-installed on the laptop, over to the new SSD? I'll never use the old SSD again....
  9. SSD Compatibility - can I use this type of SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Compatibility - can I use this type of SSD?: Hi I was hoping to purchase a Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA 1TB SSD for my Laptop alongside the current HDD however, I was just wanting to confirm whether the SSD is in fact compatible. I am 99% sure that it is I just want to make sure prior to buying it. Images of the M.2 slot...
  10. Move Windows to new drive using a system image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Move Windows to new drive using a system image: Hi all! My C drive, an old SSD, appears to be reaching its end of life. I am occasionally running into complete system freezes after which I have no other choice than to hit the physical reset button. I would like to move the current Windows installation over to my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. transfer system image created under windows 10 64 bit from external SSD to new SSD

2. can you format an ssd with 512 byte sectors

3. windows 10 restore system image to a bigger ssd