Windows 10: Can I use the same non-OEM licence in dual boot environment? W10 & Linux + VM?

Discus and support Can I use the same non-OEM licence in dual boot environment? W10 & Linux + VM? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. I have one PC with dual boot systems. One is licensed Windows 10 Pro, and second one is Ubuntu. What I want to do is use my Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bartłomiej Sobieszek, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Can I use the same non-OEM licence in dual boot environment? W10 & Linux + VM?

Hello.

I have one PC with dual boot systems. One is licensed Windows 10 Pro, and second one is Ubuntu.

What I want to do is use my Windows 10 retail licence key in VM while running Linux.

I don't see any way this would break the EULA / ToS since I am the only user who uses it and its running on the same machine once at a time no 2 copies with same licence key are running in parallel.

From less official sources I know that it would be fine if the key would be deactivated every time on previously used host either VM or bare metal machine, but I've also heard of that when you do it too many times the key will be disabled and I would need to contact with Microsoft authority by using phone line to resolve that.

:)

Bartłomiej Sobieszek, Oct 2, 2020

2. Transfer OEM licence to VM on same laptop

Hello,

I purchased a laptop sometime ago with a Win 7 OEM licence and subsequently upgraded to Windows 10. All was good. About 1 year ago I added a Linux dual boot. I've found that I prefer working in Linux with the exception of one or two programs that are
    Windows only. It's a bit of a pain to have to reboot to these Win 10 for these periodic needs, so my question is....

Can I uninstall Window 10 from my laptop and reinstall it (same laptop) into my Virtual machine (under my Linux OS)?

Thanks a million.

Cheers.

Bill McCollam

billmccollam, Oct 2, 2020
  3. add linux dual boot to w10 system

First check to see if Windows supports dual-boot when one of the systems is not Windows. As best as I know it is not possible and I have tried to get the answer myself but that was a few years ago. As best as I know the only option is to use a Linux utility
    to do the multi-booting.

If you did configure dual boot then how did you do that? If you are using a Linux/Ubuntu utility then you need to ask in a Linux/Ubuntu forum.

The suggestion to hold down the shift key while doing a shutdown might help but another option is to go into your system's BIOS while booting. The procedure varies depending on the BIOS but if you can get into the BIOS configuration then you can choose where
    to boot from. Sometimes it can be a one-time choice but there should be a way to set the boot device priority so that it boots from whichever device/partition you select. That is
    not a permanent solution but it will allow you a
    slightly inconvenient way to switch where to boot from.

Also note that it is standard for a boot utility to boot whatever partition is marked active. There are Windows and Linux utilities to select which partition will be the boot partition.

Simple Samples, Oct 2, 2020
  4. Can I use the same non-OEM licence in dual boot environment? W10 & Linux + VM?

Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

Hi Xelany

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

You should try repairing your Windows 10 installation using the following steps:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/fix-windows-10...

If that restores Windows 10, use EasyBCD to add an entry for Linux mint:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/dual-boot-wind...

Information in the above link is sourced from a trusted Microsoft MVP blog.

Andre for Directly, Oct 2, 2020
Thema:

Can I use the same non-OEM licence in dual boot environment? W10 & Linux + VM?

1. Can I use the same non-OEM licence in dual boot environment? W10 & Linux + VM? - Similar Threads - same non OEM

2. Repurpose Windows licence on VM same machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Repurpose Windows licence on VM same machine: I have a PC with a Windows 10 licence that I am planning to rebuild from bare metal with Proxmox VE. One of the VM's I would like to create is the Windows one that I removed to make way for Proxmox. I have a feeling I know the answer to this, but will my existing product key...
  3. Windows Pro licence key non-oem on oem devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Pro licence key non-oem on oem devices: Hi,I bought a new ASUS laptop Laptop A with windows 10 OEM pre-installed. I do not have a record of this keyI performed the free upgrade on laptop A that was permitted at the time to windows 11I then installed a windows 8 PRO key standalone / non-Oem that I bought years ago...
  4. Windows Pro licence key non-oem on oem devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Pro licence key non-oem on oem devices: Hi,I bought a new ASUS laptop Laptop A with windows 10 OEM pre-installed. I do not have a record of this keyI performed the free upgrade on laptop A that was permitted at the time to windows 11I then installed a windows 8 PRO key standalone / non-Oem that I bought years ago...
  5. Dual boot with linux: only linux boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dual boot with linux: only linux boot: Hello, Well I'll sum up what I did so far: I had ubuntu + windows 10, was working fine but ubuntu was taking too much space on my drive. Deleted ubuntu partitions, gave the space back to windows, boot into the windows usb drive to perform the bootrec /fixmbr,fixboot...
  6. Can I buy an OEM licence?

Can I buy an OEM licence?: Some time ago I read online that ANYONE who builds his own pc is qualifiable for OEM licensing. Is that true? I don't want to mess with Microsoft terms of use so I really want to know if I'm allowed to do that....
  7. add linux dual boot to w10 system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    add linux dual boot to w10 system: New Laptop with W10 installed. Want to add dual boot Ubuntu. Ubuntu install looks good, but when restart,goes direct to W; no choice. Suspect WW Master Boot process since unix /var/log/syslog shows no sign of choice build and lots of Window master boot process. Need to...
  8. Can I use the same Win10 license to install native AND as a VM under Linux?

Can I use the same Win10 license to install native AND as a VM under Linux?: My wife uses Windows for everything. I like linux, but need Windows for gaming. I have a copy of Win10 installed natively. I want to experiment with running games on a Win10 virtual machine under Linux. The enterprise evaluation copy I'm using as a VM now has already expired...
  9. W8.1/W10 dual use, same product key?

W8.1/W10 dual use, same product key?: On my desktop I have a number of removable storage racks in which I can slip disks in and out in cold swap fashion. This arrangement makes it easy for me to use different versions of operating systems without having to deal with the complexity of virtual machines. Im...
  10. dual-boot Linux

dual-boot Linux: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 8.1), and I'm considering setting it up to dual-boot Linux. I just had a look at the HD with Disk Management, and Lenovo has created 6 partitions (C, D, and 4 hidden partitions). Can I get further help here, or is...