Windows 10: Can I use the Windows 10 upgrade on a standalone computer?

Discus and support Can I use the Windows 10 upgrade on a standalone computer? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey all: I have a question that I REALLY need the answer to. I have done searches regarding this, but so far I have been unable to come up with an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wads63, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Wads63 Win User

Can I use the Windows 10 upgrade on a standalone computer?

Hey all:
    I have a question that I REALLY need the answer to. I have done searches regarding this, but so far I have been unable to come up with an answer.

I am responsible for ten laptops for work. These laptops are not used everyday. Currently I am running Windows 7 on them. These laptops are used for volunteers, and these laptops are used mostly as "stand-alone computers". Every once in a while, we do connect them online so that they can all talk to each other and update. These volunteers, some medical and some non-medical, are part of a national health network that are only used if there is a mass crisis of some sort. We need these laptop computers, which are paid for by grants, as tools to enable us to help people in times of medical emergency. (We practice.)

Now for my question: Will Windows 10 work on STAND-ALONE computers? I have been told that Windows 10 has to constantly have the ability to "phone home". Can I update these laptops to Windows 10 or not?

Thank you.

:)

Wads63, Aug 22, 2015
  2. Teddy2016 Win User
    Teddy2016, Aug 22, 2015
  3. AlyMdr Win User
    Windows 10 Free

Hi,

The link for upgrading to windows 10,tells that windows 10 initially will be downloaded to my PC,then I can upgrade at any time,will I receive new key or can use my previous windows key?

Why do I have to make this upgrade to get full standalone windows 10?can I revert to my previous windows after upgrading?

AlyMdr, Aug 22, 2015
  4. Can I use the Windows 10 upgrade on a standalone computer?

Are you talking about using the free upgrade? Or of buying multiple Win10 licenses, one for each machine, and upgrading that way?

The Free Upgrade will only activate if you do the update from inside Win7 (on these machines), and even though you COULD do the upgrade from a USB stick or a DVD, the problem will be that if Win10 needs new drivers (as most, if not all, of the existing Win7 drivers are likely NOT to work in Win10), with no Internet connect, the installer will have no way to retrieve and install the drivers.

My suggestion would be to do a full image backup of one machine and do the upgrade on it -- and see how it goes. IF it goes well and all the apps work the way they used to, then you could proceed to upgrade all the other machines. But, the machines that have been having the greatest failure rates with the Win10 upgrade are Win7 machines -- and the last thing you want is all of the machines being left in a corrupted, unusable state, by the Upgrade tool.

Mark Phelps, Aug 22, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    Yes they will work (assuming they are compatible). You'll need to connect to internet to activate Windows 10 but other than that, no.

You should probably (as you do now) connect to internet now and again to get updates but you don't have to - once they are activated they will continue to work.

6. bobkn Win User
    Are the laptops running Enterprise copies of Win 7? The free Win 10 upgrade isn't available for Enterprise.

If they have OEM or retail Win 7, the free upgrade could be applied. Once activated, the machines could be set to use local logins, so they wouldn't need to be online to run.

The main issue I imagine is that the retail version of Win 10 basically forces users to accept Windows Updates. If a machine went online that hadn't been on the net for weeks or months, a ton of updates might download. That could be awkward in a low-bandwidth situation. It also carries some slight risk that an upgrade would render the machine inoperable.

The Enterprise versions are supposed to be managed more in keeping with business standards, where updates are under the control of the IT department.

I think that it'd be a poor idea to go to 10 on those laptops at the moment, even if it's possible.

(I have 3 PCs: two desktops and a laptop. All have 10 at the moment. However, I imaged the old OSes and can return to them in minutes if necessary.)

bobkn, Aug 22, 2015
  7. AddRAM Win User
    If they work fine now, I wouldn`t even bother upgrading them, leave them alone.

If these volunteers have never touched a windows 10, it could more trouble then it`s worth.

AddRAM, Aug 22, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The Federal government won't move to Windows 10 for at least a year. I would not upgrade those laptops until about July 15, 2016 - and then only if they are entitled to the free upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Aug 22, 2015
  9. Wads63 Win User
    I appreciate your input.

Wads63, Aug 22, 2015
  10. tinmar49 Win User
    I'm with Adram, you will gain less than you loose.

tinmar49, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can I use the Windows 10 upgrade on a standalone computer? - Similar Threads - upgrade standalone computer

2. Standalone computer on unknown network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Standalone computer on unknown network: I recently discovered that my standalone pc, which has never been on a network, has somehow became a user of an unknown domain. I utilized clean all cmd on my ssd and performed a clean windows install from usb created by Windows Creation tool and it's still infected. I...
  3. Is it possible to update windows 10 enterprise using standalone installer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to update windows 10 enterprise using standalone installer?: Hi, I have Windows 10 Enterprise installed on my laptop 1803 17134.1184. I am planning to update it to cumulative update KB4540689. Can I do it using the Standalone msu file available at the Microsoft update catalog? Thanks....
  4. Can my computer upgrade to Windows 10?

Can my computer upgrade to Windows 10?: This should be simple, but I am not very good with computers and am trying to figure out if my Toshiba laptop can be upgraded to windows 10. The model number is Satellite C855-S5214. I have looked and I don't think it can, but the list is confusing. Thank you so much for your...
  5. Windows 10 upgrade - computer can not boot

Windows 10 upgrade - computer can not boot: I tried to upgrade my Microsoft Surfacebook 1st gen. The upgrade never finished. My power ran out so the process was interrupted. I was also required to use an external drive to facilitate the process because there wasn't enough room on the hard drive which wasn't actually...
  6. How do I use a cabinet standalone update? Which standalone updates do I use from multiple...

How do I use a cabinet standalone update? Which standalone updates do I use from multiple...: I managed to download the 2019-05 standalone updates. [ATTACH] However, the 2019-04 Update is a cabinet file, how do I use a cabinet file for an update? [ATTACH] I don't know which "Update for Microsoft Silverlight" to download. [ATTACH]I don't know which "Windows...
  7. Can I use license of Windows 10 of broken computer to upgrade my Vista

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I use license of Windows 10 of broken computer to upgrade my Vista: I do have a Vista OS in my computer. I understand it can not be uppgraded right away to Windows 10. But my brothers hardware was damaged badly. He had Windows 10 in that computer. Is it possible to use that lisence? If someone can help, I'm grateful, of course. 57538
  8. Can I upgrade this computer?

Can I upgrade this computer?: I've got a Dell Precision that I'm thinking of doing a pretty big upgrade to. It's got 4 mb ram, and a 500 gig hard drive and I want to install a 1 TB hard drive and 16 gigs of ram. However, I believe it is running a 32 bit system (windows 7) and, from what I've read, it...
  9. Can I use the iso from the Win 10 esd to upgrade another computer

Can I use the iso from the Win 10 esd to upgrade another computer: The Win 10 install.esd for tomorrow's upgrade is on my new Win 8.1 computer. Can I use an iso. made from that esd. to upgrade my Win 7 computer if it has not yet received the upgrade files? Both will be upgrading to Win 10 Home. I wouldn't try it until tomorrow because...
  10. Windows XP to Windows 10 Upgrades Possible with Standalone

in Windows 10 News
    Windows XP to Windows 10 Upgrades Possible with Standalone: With Windows 10, Microsoft is trying to upgrade as many old computers as possible and make sure that operating systems such as Windows XP go dark at a much faster pace, and it appears that the company already has a plan in place for this objective. A few days ago,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upgrade standalone laptop from windows 7 to Windows 10