Windows 10: Can I use USB extension cable with USB 3.0 thumb drive

Discus and support Can I use USB extension cable with USB 3.0 thumb drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a USB extension cable that came with a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse. It's about 6 feet long. The color of the "tongue" inside the USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KenY7744, Sep 1, 2019.

1. KenY7744 Win User

Can I use USB extension cable with USB 3.0 thumb drive

I have a USB extension cable that came with a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse. It's about 6 feet long. The color of the "tongue" inside the USB connectors is white (not blue, which usually denotes USB3.0).

I want to use it to make it easier to swap USB3.0 thumb drives without having to reach around to the back of my PC. (Why on Earth don't they put USB3 ports on the front panel?)

Will this still give me the transfer rates of USB3.0?

:)

KenY7744, Sep 1, 2019
  2. sdowney717, Sep 1, 2019
  3. Anibor Win User
    USB Type-C Hub does not work with extension cable

"USB 3.1" can mean USB 3.1 Gen. 1 (5 Gbit/s), or USB 3.1 Gen. 2 (10 Gbit/s). The cable you posted about in #3 is described as 10 Gbit/s compatible and its length es 1 m, which is consistent with a Gen. 2 cable. (In the current terminology, it seems that "3.1" is not used anymore, now is 3.2 Gen. 1/2).

What I suggested was to try a "Gen.1" cable, since the hub is Gen.1. Among others, I found this in Amazon, which is 2.0 m long, therefore Gen. 1:

USB C Extension Cable,Stouchi USB Type C Male to Female Fast Charging & Audio Data Transfer Cable Compatible for Nintendo Switch, Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro, Google Pixel 2 2 XL 3(6 FT)

The Satechi hub is also listed in Amazon, you could post a question about extension cables.

Anibor, Sep 1, 2019
  4. Can I use USB extension cable with USB 3.0 thumb drive

megaflegmi, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

Can I use USB extension cable with USB 3.0 thumb drive

1. Can I use USB extension cable with USB 3.0 thumb drive - Similar Threads - USB extension cable

2. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  3. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  4. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. usb extension cable

usb extension cable: My computer doesn't recognize the extension cable I'm trying to use to connect the PC to my embroidery machine. What shuld I do?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-extension-cable/0520a70d-799a-4722-b217-a0859b57d754
  6. USB extension cable issue

USB extension cable issue: So I've bought a couple different USB cables that i have planned to connect together so that i may move my monitor, mouse, and keyboard into a different area of my house without moving my heavy desktop i have an alien ware area 51. though my problem is once i connect two or...
  7. USB thumb drives

USB thumb drives: Sorry not really a w10 issue but how much actual data should I expect to get from a 32g drive? I just bought one and it is only 28.6 should I return it? I contacted Sandisk and this is what they said; Thank you for contacting SanDisk® Global Customer Support. I understand...
  8. backup to usb thumb drives?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup to usb thumb drives?: Is it possible to do backups to thumbdrives? If so, is it possible to do those backups with common backup apps such as macrim and/or AOMEI? If so what are the pros and cons? Windows 10 Pro 64 bit CPU: i7-4770k @350GHz Ram: 16GB Graphics: Radeon 580 8GB vram Winver 1903...
  9. Is this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port?

Is this USB Thumb drive toasted or is it the USB Port?: Hello; I found that a 32GB LEXAR USB 3.0 thrumb drive was not being fully recognized by my PC. When using File Manager and clicking on Removable disk (I:) under This PC, I am getting a prompt: Please insert a disk into Removeable Disk (I:). [The volume name used to be shown...
  10. usb 2.0 extension cable length

usb 2.0 extension cable length: I need to extend my usb cable and I can get 15 foot extension cables. What will happen when I plug my usb device that has its own 5 foot cable into the 15 foot cable? Will it fail? USB is limited to 5 meters? I have 3 usb devices. GPS, Keyboard, Mouse to plug in. Each...